Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #73,172 of 149,796
My polite girl waiting to go for a walk.

Hungarian vizsla. A magnificent dog breed. I'd love to get one but our current lifestyle and living accommodation aren't suitable to a dog that requires as much physical activity in the open as the vizsla does.

We are getting a bedlington terrier puppy this summer, though :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #73,176 of 149,796
Since we are talking about a whiskey warmer it leads me to a question. Why can't almost any bar I have been to serve a decent Guinness in the states. It is NOT support to be really cold. I mean even Irish pubs in Philadelphia can't do this any more. Its a disgrace.
My theory...Many US bars have one or more large refrigeration units that they use to store and dispense all of the beers they have on tap. So the fridge units will be set at a colder temp to accommodate everything else. To save money they probably don't want to have dedicated units just for Guiness.

I've never had Guiness overseas, but the serving temp of beer that Ive had in Thailand, India and Japan was not as cold as in the US. I'm guessing the UK and Europe are probably similar. So properly served Guiness is likely more achievable.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #73,177 of 149,796
Or, as we say in the Netherlands, as if an angel is pissing on your tongue.
Somehow that doesn't sound any less unappealing. :sweat_smile:

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #73,178 of 149,796
Since we are talking about a whiskey warmer it leads me to a question. Why can't almost any bar I have been to serve a decent Guinness in the states. It is NOT support to be really cold. I mean even Irish pubs in Philadelphia can't do this any more. Its a disgrace.
I haven't been there in a while but I have to believe Fergies and The Bards can still manage a decent pint of Guinness. But then there have always been exceptional Irish pubs and some not so exceptional...

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #73,179 of 149,796
My theory...Many US bars have one or more large refrigeration units that they use to store and dispense all of the beers they have on tap. So the fridge units will be set at a colder temp to accommodate everything else. To save money they probably don't want to have dedicated units just for Guiness.

I've never had Guiness overseas, but the serving temp of beer that Ive had in Thailand, India and Japan was not as cold as in the US. I'm guessing the UK and Europe are probably similar. So properly served Guiness is likely more achievable.
The near-freezing temps of beer in the 'States is likely the fault of Budweiser, Coors, and Miller Lite. The colder they're served, the more of a numbing effect they have on your tongue so you can't taste them as much. :laughing:

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #73,180 of 149,796
When I was in Ireland I was told that Guinness is properly poured cold into a room-temperature glass. Then it is allowed to rest for several minutes until the bubbles all clear from the beer and rise to the top. This means the beer does warm up, but it is still cool not warm or room temperature. Americans seem to like beers ice cold so bars serving Guinness in a non-traditional way are likely just catering to mainstream American expectations.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #73,181 of 149,796
I have had discussions with publicans here on why they insisted on keeping Guinness refrigerated. They said that the volume of their Guinness sales was not high enough to finish the keg before it spoiled if kept at warmer temperatures. Keeping it colder simply gave it a longer shelf life.

JC

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #73,182 of 149,796
Unfortunately it has been a while since I went to a pub in the UK due to lockdown...

However, I do still recall from back in the days before COVID, that you could get a decent pint of Guinness in some pubs near where I live.

Many pubs don't get it right though, even here, and one bad sign is if nobody else in the pub is drinking Guinness as you need to have plenty of it going through the pipes.
I remember that from my days working on the student bar at university. We didn't have any problems with lack of volume there :relaxed:

I have got to know a handful of local pubs where I can always get a really good pint of Guinness if I fancy one.
Most offer the choice of 'normal' cool Guinness or 'extra cold'. I always go for the 'normal', which in my opinion, is the way it should be served and how it is served in the best bars in Ireland.

I like all good ales, and a perfect pint of Guinness is something special.

Cheers :beerchug:

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #73,183 of 149,796
To get the thread pre-requisites out of the way:
1. TX and NC BBQ are equally delicious. (Then again, I'm Minnesotan so what do I know.)
2. Too much peat in Scotch is just wrong (just like overly-extracted wine -- if it doesn't go well with food what's the point?).
3. Dogs > Cats, because I'm allergic to cats and a dog won't jump on your bare chest in the middle of the night and deposit a dead, bloody mouse there as a "gift" ...
4. Guinness served extra cold is a travesty.

Now that the "important" stuff is out of the way, here's a proper Schiit comment: I've had my Freya + for quite a while now, and have happily enjoyed it with the stock tubes. Thanks to lots of patient questions answered by @Paladin79 and @Ripper2860, some trepidatious wading into various Head-Fi tube rolling forums, and the generosity of my brother, I now have a pair of CBS Hytron 5692s installed in the preamp, and, wow, it's an impressive difference. Does this mean that this whole tube rolling thing isn't bogus and the delusion of a foolish few, and I have to admit that @bcowen and company know a thing or two?

It's been a hellish week at work, and I'm excited for the weekend -- whatever that means in these COVID times -- and the prospect of lots of music and newfound enjoyment with the Freya ...

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #73,184 of 149,796
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #73,185 of 149,796
To get the thread pre-requisites out of the way:
1. TX and NC BBQ are equally delicious. (Then again, I'm Minnesotan so what do I know.)
2. Too much peat in Scotch is just wrong (just like overly-extracted wine -- if it doesn't go well with food what's the point?).
3. Dogs > Cats, because I'm allergic to cats and a dog won't jump on your bare chest in the middle of the night and deposit a dead, bloody mouse there as a "gift" ...
4. Guinness served extra cold is a travesty.

Now that the "important" stuff is out of the way, here's a proper Schiit comment: I've had my Freya + for quite a while now, and have happily enjoyed it with the stock tubes. Thanks to lots of patient questions answered by @Paladin79 and @Ripper2860, some trepidatious wading into various Head-Fi tube rolling forums, and the generosity of my brother, I now have a pair of CBS Hytron 5692s installed in the preamp, and, wow, it's an impressive difference. Does this mean that this whole tube rolling thing isn't bogus and the delusion of a foolish few, and I have to admit that @bcowen and company know a thing or two?

It's been a hellish week at work, and I'm excited for the weekend -- whatever that means in these COVID times -- and the prospect of lots of music and newfound enjoyment with the Freya ...
Some amps and pre-amps show off tube differences better than others, I do not roll many tubes in the Freya + because I found pairs I really like and stick to those, same with the Mjolnir. @bcowen has been a big help when I need matched pairs for various amps I own. so I generally try to help him with other electronics and woodworking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back