Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #70,591 of 150,256
re: using a phone. I have not been on a plane for almost a year thanks to Covid, which is extremely unusual for me, but I use my iPhone as a source while traveling. I listen through a (now discontinued) V-Moda Vamp Versa DAC/Amp which is battery powered and connects to the iPhone via a short lightning-USB cable. I prefer wired IEMs while traveling because to me even on a noisy plane Bluetooth sounds like ass. I have never even considered using a phone as a source in my home. I have far superior sounding devices - indeed, devices designed for use in the home, imagine that. To each his own.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #70,593 of 150,256
re: using a phone. --snip -- I have never even considered using a phone as a source in my home. I have far superior sounding devices - indeed, devices designed for use in the home, imagine that.

I am there too, which is why I asked for advice. My receiver has Bluetooth send and receive but I've never set it up. I use my phone to control my source, not to play from.

That being said, I listen to streaming radio through HD6XX when I'm walking the dog. That sounds pretty good and lets me hear feral cyclists approaching from my 6 - but I've never done that at home.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #70,596 of 150,256
I prefer wired IEMs while traveling because to me even on a noisy plane Bluetooth sounds like ass.
I use my Bose (🙀) QC-20 in-ear noise cancellers on planes and trains (and on my lawn mower). All of these places are noisy enough that removing the noise is more important than ultimate sound quality, and these sound great to me in noisy places.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #70,597 of 150,256
I wasn’t sure if the interface possibly having a cheap dac would greatly limit the overall performance of the setup in the same way a cheap processor would bottleneck a pc that was otherwise filled with expensive components.
Yeah, but you won't know until you try. Reading all the forums in the world won't allow you to experience how your music sounds. So jump in! Get that first amp and enjoy it with the DAC you have. Sooner or later you'll know whether or not you want something else. And that's where the fun is.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #70,598 of 150,256
When I bought my last plane I had ACJ rip out all Alto Aviation sound systems and replaced them with Yggdrasil/Steinway integrated ones.
I also had the pilots change their Batman and Robin suits for Tom and Jerry's.

ROFL!!

I got rid of the audio system in my plane. At normal warp speeds I couldn't even get through a whole song before landing. Seemed pointless. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #70,599 of 150,256
I am there too, which is why I asked for advice. My receiver has Bluetooth send and receive but I've never set it up. I use my phone to control my source, not to play from.

That being said, I listen to streaming radio through HD6XX when I'm walking the dog. That sounds pretty good and lets me hear feral cyclists approaching from my 6 - but I've never done that at home.

You live in a cold enough climate where you can do that. In Florida, those HD6xx would be a sweaty, smelly mess almost immediately.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #70,600 of 150,256
ROFL!!

I got rid of the audio system in my plane. At normal warp speeds I couldn't even get through a whole song before landing. Seemed pointless. :stuck_out_tongue:
Same on our hovercraft.....
1611357691947.png

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #70,602 of 150,256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back