Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #70,576 of 148,621
Bluetooth speakers are for podcasts!
BT is for making phone calls using a headset, it’s certainly not for music.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #70,577 of 148,621
BT is for making phone calls using a headset, it’s certainly not for music.
it sounds good enough if I’m on a plane and I’m already using ANC to change the sound. There are good enough codecs from aptx to aac to ldac that you can get away with it if the DAC and amp in the headphones are OK.
*gets ready to duck*

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #70,578 of 148,621
Never heard the Vali but had the Valhalla 2 for Hi-Z Senns and Beyers; moved to the Asgard 3 and really like it with 6XX.
I LOVE my Vali 2 with my 6xx (mind you, Asgard 3 is nonslouch, but Vali brings the tube rolling rabbit hole!

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #70,579 of 148,621
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #70,580 of 148,621
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #70,582 of 148,621
From that article - one of the cites is a fascinating read - check out page 5.....
https://web.archive.org/web/2017112...ds/XMOS/Why-do-you-need-USB-Audio-Class-2.pdf
Thanks, that's a good find. I especially like the following quote: "'Each clocking method has pros and cons and best-fit applications. For example, asynchronous is particularly favoured for audiophile playback systems where a high stability clock source is implemented in the device, or audio is synchronised to an external digital stream such as S/PDIF."

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #70,583 of 148,621
I use my iphone with an external portable DAC, the Oppo HA-2. It's a DAC/AMP and has it's own rechargable batteries. Take it with whenever if ever I travel.
If you want better performance/quality/power I would avoid using a headphone out on the phone due to low power and noticeably lower quality than and external DAC. Having said that if you have efficient phones, it works fine.

Yes/Depends. My portable DAC is self powered so it doesn't draw power from the phone. If the DAC you are connecting to draws too much power from the phone it won't work, unless you have a separate power supply for the DAC. There are DACs on the market that will work directly off the lightning port using the standard cable.

No, in most case no.
There could be power issue, but besides the power, oppo HA-2 is one of the RARE DAC that could be connected from iPhone with standard charging cable.
oppo HA-2 has USB A receptacles (big flat rectangular one on old PCs) , but most DAC has USB B receptacles (Full size or micro in general) and they aren't compatible.
Standard DAC having USB B receptacles require Apple Camera Connection Kit and standard USB cable.
And then, some DAC drawing much power requires Apple Camera Connection Kit with power socket (the bigger one) and standard USB cable and iPhone charger cable.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #70,584 of 148,621
I use my iPad Air 4 usbC out to a fulla2 to drive powered monitors sometimes. The stupid lightning connector and standard is the crutch for iPhone connectivity. That being said i thoroughly enjoy listening to music on my AirPods Pro. *also ducks*

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #70,585 of 148,621
I use my iphone with an external portable DAC, the Oppo HA-2. It's a DAC/AMP and has it's own rechargable batteries. Take it with whenever if ever I travel.
If you want better performance/quality/power I would avoid using a headphone out on the phone due to low power and noticeably lower quality than and external DAC. Having said that if you have efficient phones, it works fine.

Yes/Depends. My portable DAC is self powered so it doesn't draw power from the phone. If the DAC you are connecting to draws too much power from the phone it won't work, unless you have a separate power supply for the DAC. There are DACs on the market that will work directly off the lightning port using the standard cable.
I stopped using my phone with my HA2, for a couple reasons:
1. it's annoying when notifications come on your phone when listening to music. doubly so when using an external DAC if a call comes in
2. stacking the phone and DAC inevitably leads to some RF interference in the DAC caused by the Wifi or cell networking on the phone, and it's annoyingly audible

For a while I tried a bunch of other DAPs, which were somewhat OK, but generally at the time couldn't handle streaming services very well. Then I got a Poly for my Mojo recently. While it sounds great, and doesn't have the RF issue, the frequent enough dropouts of the wifi connection between my phone and Poly are enough to make the experience unfavorable, especially in hotspot mode on the go.

So in the end, I went back to either my HA2 or my Mojo stacked with an iPod touch. I can still using streaming services as long as they allow downloads, and I can turn off networking while listening and have no RF noise on the DAC.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #70,586 of 148,621
I use my wifes old iphone 6s as my USB streamer for Bifrost 2. No sim card in it. Blutooth & cell signal are off. Only apps installed are youtube, spotify, tidal, qobuz, netflix. All alerts and notifications are off. It remains plugged into the camera adapter with a 15ft USB and 15ft charging cord.

Works beautifully. No notifications no interruptions.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #70,587 of 148,621
unless you control the source very closely.
Aaaaah, and that is IMHO exactly what the Unison combo can do, control the source (the Unison sender) 100%.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #70,588 of 148,621
I stopped using my phone with my HA2, for a couple reasons:
1. it's annoying when notifications come on your phone when listening to music. doubly so when using an external DAC if a call comes in
2. stacking the phone and DAC inevitably leads to some RF interference in the DAC caused by the Wifi or cell networking on the phone, and it's annoyingly audible

For a while I tried a bunch of other DAPs, which were somewhat OK, but generally at the time couldn't handle streaming services very well. Then I got a Poly for my Mojo recently. While it sounds great, and doesn't have the RF issue, the frequent enough dropouts of the wifi connection between my phone and Poly are enough to make the experience unfavorable, especially in hotspot mode on the go.

So in the end, I went back to either my HA2 or my Mojo stacked with an iPod touch. I can still using streaming services as long as they allow downloads, and I can turn off networking while listening and have no RF noise on the DAC.
Yes there are some drawbacks when I use the HA-2 and Phone ... but, it saves me carrying more than two devices on the plane/train and for the most part when I am travelling I'm on airplane mode so calls and the like are no issues. And as I need the phone for the trip anyway, then it works for me and keeps it simple. I also use the HA-2 at hotels with my PM-2 or 3 'phones. More than good for that purpose and so much better than anything I could have had 5-10 years ago. Of course, as always, YMMV!

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #70,589 of 148,621
No, in most case no.
There could be power issue, but besides the power, oppo HA-2 is one of the RARE DAC that could be connected from iPhone with standard charging cable.
oppo HA-2 has USB A receptacles (big flat rectangular one on old PCs) , but most DAC has USB B receptacles (Full size or micro in general) and they aren't compatible.
Standard DAC having USB B receptacles require Apple Camera Connection Kit and standard USB cable.
And then, some DAC drawing much power requires Apple Camera Connection Kit with power socket (the bigger one) and standard USB cable and iPhone charger cable.
Thanks, I stand corrected :)

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #70,590 of 148,621
I wasn’t sure if the interface possibly having a cheap dac would greatly limit the overall performance of the setup in the same way a cheap processor would bottleneck a pc that was otherwise filled with expensive components.
On my audio journey (see profile for details) the move to a high-quality Schiit MB DAC was more satisfying than upgrading the amplifier. YMMV as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back