Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #70,201 of 150,790
What's wrong with technical questions?

I asked him about the Chord stuff, steep filters, tube DACs, future digital tech, yggy revisions, dither, algorithms, math's, improving the megacomboburrito filter, etc.

Next time I'll ask him what he ate for breakfast.
Dude, nothing. I said I like 'em. The early questions just didn't grab me and I was describing how ... I was just setting up the second sentence. Go neg to accentuate pos. it's a writing style .. That's all.

I was absolutely interested in hearing more from Mike about tech stuff because he's really interesting to listen because he'll explain digital stuff in a way where I say "oh yeah" instead "What?" so when he's feeling better I'd really like him to get into 5 minute answers about his filter etc., just not different filter depths. I mean it's barely audible and the differences ... who cares which one he likes?

Hey you asked ... And who's complaining I made a off hand not referenced part supply comment? gimme a break. they are tools but of course I'm the biggest tool and at least they show up. I just don't think opinion questions matter except when he mentions he's loves the Grateful Dead. If you haven't heard a betty board with ZMF headphones you've never heard a betty board.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #70,202 of 150,790
Um, I'm the only vocal hold-out. The other 2,289 "guests" are all NC BBQ fanatics, just too polite to say you're wrong publicly. :smile:

So now let's talk tubes versus transistors... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not much of a concession speech

JC

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #70,203 of 150,790
hahaha! All good Sir Strat. I generally agree!. Although under the Foster's name I did have Foster's "Strong" in the Philippines. Much better due to higher alcohol %
Thanks @Timster :relaxed:
I have enjoyed plenty of good banter when drinking beers with Aussies over the years. In my experience you guys love to have a good laugh at the Poms' expense.
It's all good sport and we are used to it!
There is plenty of beer which is far worse than Fosters. Bud Light would be one, but I don't think that even qualifies as 'beer' :beyersmile:
Cheers :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #70,204 of 150,790
Which particular Highland Park do you enjoy? I have grown to like the Aberfeldy, but I think I've been spoiled by the smoothness of the Aberlour 16, so I find the 12 yr a bit rough. Too bad the Aberfeldy comes with some kind of weird, semi-exponential pricing curve...

Highland Park is the next distillery on my list for a virtual tour.

@macdonjh The only Highland Park I have tried is the 12 year old 'Viking Honour'.
Viking Honour 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky · Highland Park (highlandparkwhisky.com)
I have a couple of bottles and try not to run out as I really like it!
I have visited many Scottish Islands, but, so far, not Orkney.
It is on my list, as it looks a stunning place to visit.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #70,205 of 150,790
What's wrong with technical questions?

I asked him about the Chord stuff, steep filters, tube DACs, future digital tech, yggy revisions, dither, algorithms, math's, improving the megacomboburrito filter, etc.

I like to hear more about Mike's approach to audio and his philosophy behind it, why he designs stuff the way that he does and why these are better than other ways of doing it.

Oh I did ask him about his favorite album and two-channel rig.

Next time I'll ask him what he ate for breakfast.

Schiit never talks about competitors products. No comments, no theories. Its a business practice. He said they don't publish specs so I don't know about it.

Its not wrong that you asked, but he (they) have a reason not to answer.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #70,206 of 150,790
It was great to see and hear Mike again last night.
Well worth waiting up for!
One thing I picked up on is that the new CD Transport will have several USB inputs, and outputs will include Unison USB and conventional S/PDIF.
Mike is clearly excited about Unison USB when used with both a Unison 'transmitter' and receiver.
If it is as good as he says, and I have no reason to doubt Mike, he will really be on to something!
I have a question about the 'digital hub' aspect of the new Transport for anyone who might know the answer or can correct me for asking a stupid question...
Will the 'Urd' have a conventional S/PDIF digital input and therefore be able to operate as a S/PDIF to Unison USB converter?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #70,207 of 150,790
Not much of a concession speech

JC

Concession speech? LOL! It would be highly unproductive for me to spend time writing something I'd never use. Clearly there is no right or wrong here, only good (NC) and bad (TX). :smile:

I was only suggesting an alternate topic to argue about discuss that would culminate with an identical result. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #70,208 of 150,790
Back in the late 70’s, tri-tip was slowly crawling its way out of Santa Maria. In the 80’s, available in most of SoCal, and moving outward. Tried hard whilst working in the ?uK, to get a butcher (retail) to cut it, they all said wasn’t possible, the way their primals were shipped. @Ableza, can u buy in AZ?
Oh yes, and it is enjoyed frequently at my house. Even though I learned my technique in N. Cali and I try to do it the same way, somehow it just does not taste the same as when cooked in a park in San Jose or on the breach in Santa Cruz. Maybe it's the lack of salt in the air. :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #70,209 of 150,790
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the Gadget anymore! Mike just mentioned: "It's finished", and nobody here seems to have noticed although some time back we went on and on and on about the Gadget to come out. I guess Urd has overruled that all. Much more common use and less niche.

the new CD Transport will have several USB inputs
It definitely sound like USB inputs to me, like in more than one.

I have a question about the 'digital hub' aspect of the new Transport for anyone who might know the answer or can correct me for asking a stupid question...
Will the 'Urd' have a conventional S/PDIF digital input and therefore be able to operate as a S/PDIF to Unison USB converter?
Your guess is as good as mine, but I would say NO. He's talking about multiple USB inputs for streamers and the like, nothing about other digital inputs, only outputs.
But I might be 200% wrong of course.

Will let you know when I receive my beta tester version soon (wishful thinking and dreaming)

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #70,210 of 150,790
Thanks @Timster :relaxed:
I have enjoyed plenty of good banter when drinking beers with Aussies over the years. In my experience you guys love to have a good laugh at the Poms' expense.
It's all good sport and we are used to it!
There is plenty of beer which is far worse than Fosters. Bud Light would be one, but I don't think that even qualifies as 'beer' :beyersmile:
Cheers :beerchug:

ROFL! I (personally) would much rather have a Fosters than a Bud/Miller/Coors Lite that taste mostly like fermented water. :smile: Edit: fermented dishwater. :worried:

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #70,212 of 150,790
ROFL! I (personally) would much rather have a Fosters than a Bud/Miller/Coors Lite that taste mostly like fermented water. :smile: Edit: fermented dishwater. :worried:
Aussie_beer.png

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #70,213 of 150,790
@macdonjh The only Highland Park I have tried is the 12 year old 'Viking Honour'.
Viking Honour 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky · Highland Park (highlandparkwhisky.com)
I have a couple of bottles and try not to run out as I really like it!
I have visited many Scottish Islands, but, so far, not Orkney.
It is on my list, as it looks a stunning place to visit.

Ah, here I have some to add. I was gifted a bottle of 18 year old Viking Pride last year- Viking Pride 18

I opened it last Autumn when a dear friend was here and have sampled only a few drams. It's really, really good. :smiley_cat:

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #70,215 of 150,790
phthysic

Only 29 posts over (near as dammit) 13 years. If this offends phthysic I apologise, and I am jaded over my 25 years of forum browsing but these numbers are pinging my suspicion meter. Could be something, more than likely nothing. All I can say is I've been perfectly happy with the Schiit products I've used over the years and my, now my brother's, Magni 2/Modi 2 combo has six years near enough of sterling service since I bought it in 2015 and Schiit customer service has always answered the few questions I've asked of them over the years quickly and politely. But they're not perfect.
As with politics we should stay clear of conspiracies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back