Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #70,171 of 149,224
I had to tell one of our guys, who was on the edge of a full-on panic attack, that in the words of one very wise man, “there are no emergencies in audio,” and, even if it meant we slipped deeper into backorder, it was totally fine to go home.

Out of everything you said today, this might be the most important. I'm sure this attitude plays a big part in people wanting to come work on a Sunday.

Great post, stay safe, stay sane, stay happy.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #70,172 of 149,224
Argh. I’m having trouble finding the link to the schitt stream with Mike this afternoon...

(Heh heh heh: he said schiit stream...)
If you go to the front page of head-fi there should be a link to the post.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #70,174 of 149,224
Posting a tirade like this is really not helpful unless you would like to include a few details. Were you the original purchaser of the devices? Were they under warranty? Did you get an RMA and return them to Schiit?

Sorry if it was perceived as a "tirade", but this was my experience, and I tried to stick with just the facts.
I'm happy to see other people have a good experience with Schiit, but I had not. I think my experience is fair to share, and possibly useful to others. A data point, out of many, to make an educated opinion.
Also, I know my lack of posts raises a suspicion meter, but I've had 4 kids in the last 13 years... so I haven't been able to spend a lot of time actively participating in forums :). I went on head-fi today to research a replacement Dac, and saw this forum on the Home Page. Serendipity.

To answer your specific questions:

Yes, I was the original purchaser of both units. Looking back through the emails I could find, they both lasted 3 years, which 1 year out of warranty. So, my experience, which has been exactly the same with 2 devices, is that the device starts to act funky right after warranty expiration, and effectively bricks 1 year after.

Awesome that other people have a great experience with Schiit, but I have not had luck with their products. I have no idea how common my issue is, but I'm not the only one, and I'm looking at getting my 3rd Dac in 6 years, so that seems statistically significant.

I appreciate Jason reaching out, and it's nice to see the apparent loyalty, but I think it's OK to offer an alternate opinion.
I'm not trying to get anything out of this. My hardware was out of warranty, and I know the margins have to be thin, so they're with their right to not do anything for me. I was burned twice with the same hardware issue, and I think the response could have been better.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #70,178 of 149,224
not New England convenience-store BBQ?
New England BBQ = grilling in the south, completely different - like trying to compare coffee (instant, moka, pour over, french press, etc) with pep pills.

And Mike LIVES!

tenor.gif

Edit: @Jason Stoddard don't you mean "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus?" approx. 20 min into the stream. Seems a little more... not sure how to phrase. But its the toys and bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #70,181 of 149,224
Here in Arizona the foodie web sites keep saying the best barbeque is from a place called "Dick's" which I have never tried mainly because Dick's is only available at gas stations. I just can't bring myself to get food from a gas station.

I can't blame you for saying that since I have been hearing about gas station sushi and burritoes. Mostly not good things

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #70,183 of 149,224
It was so great to see Mike laughing and joking.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #70,185 of 149,224
I was wondering what the hell they were doing I mean, these questions, filter preference??????, then Mike just makes magic.

Next time just let Mike talk. I love listening to him talk about this tech stuff, I really wish he wouldn't be reluntant to get too techy. He's really good at it. And then he just gets real. Wow. Welcome back Mike!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back