Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #67,036 of 153,933
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #67,037 of 153,933
@ScubaMan2017, I liked that. Interesting stuff. I've seen some weird crap in my travels, but thankfully, I've never been chased by the naagloshii...!
I still remember dropping into a submerged smoke stack at Five Fathoms Marine Park... for the first time. The frightened little monkey in my brain was shreiking. It appeared pitch dark. Once inside, the glow of Lake Huron was revealed. Now, night diving. Hoy.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #67,039 of 153,933
I use Exact Audio Copy to rip CDs to FLAC. Only down-side I've read about using FLAC or any other lossless compression is that the decompression via appliance or PC increases CPU/Processor load/activity and could introduce additional electrical noise and minor power variations, etc. I would imagine that a well built system with adequate power, cooling, and processor puts this more in the realm of theoretical as opposed to being audible, but we all know how paranoid audio folks can be ( @bcowen ). :D

Anal does not equal paranoid. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #67,040 of 153,933
Well, it happened again this time during a warm boot. Disconnected USB cable and Windows loads. Mind you, this is with Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 powered off. Methinks the latest Windows 10 Build 2004 update has screwed this PC. Discovered that the ASUS AI Suite no longer works either and I can't uninstall it. Doesn't respond to CCleaner uninstall or Windows Add/Remove Programs. Click on uninstall and it just sits there and stares back at me. Out of curiosity, decided to check ASUS ROG forum and found this blurb:

"Windows 10 Build 2004 - AI Suite iii no longer working... Where can people grab an updated version from?

As an FYI, I have the MAXIMUS VI EXTREME and the software is not listed there - although it is compatible with it as I have been using the software forever.

for download new software read this post:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...thread/page113
link is present for download

asus does not support software updates. therefore when a new system comes out a new update: asus does not release new drivers or new programs. For asus you can throw away the motherboard, because for them the board dies on the day of publication of their drivers. So if today Microsoft releases w10 2004 for asus it does not exist and you cannot install it.
AI Suite 3 is worse than a virus to get rid of.

made this premise:
it is up to the buyer to find the drivers by himself. In this case, aisuite is from asus and you cannot do without it. So you have to look for the publication of new versions in other motherboards and hope that it will also work on yours. "Otherwise you can throw away the motherboard"
in the link on the page there is the latest version that we have found that sometimes it works badly on 2004, other times it works well. Try it and pray that it will solve your problem, otherwise change vendor
"

PSU voltage is within normal limits. Doesn't explain why PC won't load Windows with Bifrost 2 connected and not powered up - but will load when the USB cable is disconnected.
If PSU was going south - PC probably wouldn't boot-up at all and I imagine other little quirky things happening like the display would flicker or other weird stuff.

And I have a brand new ASUS ROG STRIX B360-G motherboard that I can't return. Looking like I'll need to finish this new build and hope I don't have to deal with this problem.

ASIDE: Did find a more current ASmedia USB driver than the one Microsoft installed.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #67,041 of 153,933
One of those new MacBook Airs must be starting to look mighty attractive about now.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #67,044 of 153,933
Well, it happened again this time during a warm boot. Disconnected USB cable and Windows loads. Mind you, this is with Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 powered off. Methinks the latest Windows 10 Build 2004 update has screwed this PC. Discovered that the ASUS AI Suite no longer works either and I can't uninstall it. Doesn't respond to CCleaner uninstall or Windows Add/Remove Programs. Click on uninstall and it just sits there and stares back at me.
Hopefully, Microshaft will patch version 2004 to fix these and other bugs.

PSU voltage is within normal limits. Doesn't explain why PC won't load Windows with Bifrost 2 connected and not powered up - but will load when the USB cable is disconnected.
If PSU was going south - PC probably wouldn't boot-up at all and I imagine other little quirky things happening like the display would flicker or other weird stuff.

The Bifrost 2's Unison USB circuit draws some of its power from the connected USB streamer / host. that's why it still behaves similarly whether the Bifrost 2 is powered on or off. In the meantime if the motherboard as digital out (toslink and/or coaxial RCA) S/PDIF on the rear I/O panel that should also allow for music. As Mike Moffat (Jason's co-founder) says, coax S/PDIF is better than toslink optical.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #67,045 of 153,933
Well, it happened again this time during a warm boot. Disconnected USB cable and Windows loads. Mind you, this is with Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 powered off. Methinks the latest Windows 10 Build 2004 update has screwed this PC. Discovered that the ASUS AI Suite no longer works either and I can't uninstall it. Doesn't respond to CCleaner uninstall or Windows Add/Remove Programs. Click on uninstall and it just sits there and stares back at me. Out of curiosity, decided to check ASUS ROG forum and found this blurb:

"Windows 10 Build 2004 - AI Suite iii no longer working... Where can people grab an updated version from?

As an FYI, I have the MAXIMUS VI EXTREME and the software is not listed there - although it is compatible with it as I have been using the software forever.

for download new software read this post:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...thread/page113
link is present for download

asus does not support software updates. therefore when a new system comes out a new update: asus does not release new drivers or new programs. For asus you can throw away the motherboard, because for them the board dies on the day of publication of their drivers. So if today Microsoft releases w10 2004 for asus it does not exist and you cannot install it.
AI Suite 3 is worse than a virus to get rid of.

made this premise:
it is up to the buyer to find the drivers by himself. In this case, aisuite is from asus and you cannot do without it. So you have to look for the publication of new versions in other motherboards and hope that it will also work on yours. "Otherwise you can throw away the motherboard"
in the link on the page there is the latest version that we have found that sometimes it works badly on 2004, other times it works well. Try it and pray that it will solve your problem, otherwise change vendor
"

And I have a brand new ASUS ROG STRIX B360-G motherboard that I can't return. Looking like I'll need to finish this new build and hope I don't have to deal with this problem.

ASIDE: Did find a more current ASmedia USB driver than the one Microsoft installed.

That sounds like you need to go into the motherboard Bios, and change the boot sequence. USB looks to be first in sequence, before the Windows OS drive, resulting in your PC trying to boot from the Bifrost 2, when connected. Reset the order, so the OS drive is the first boot device, ahead of USB, and see what happens.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #67,048 of 153,933
The Bifrost 2's Unison USB circuit draws some of its power from the connected USB streamer / host. that's why it still behaves similarly whether the Bifrost 2 is powered on or off. In the meantime if the motherboard as digital out (toslink and/or coaxial RCA) S/PDIF on the rear I/O panel that should also allow for music. As Mike Moffat (Jason's co-founder) says, coax S/PDIF is better than toslink optical.

Yeah, I've considered that as well as ordering a PYST A-B cable from Schiit just to eliminate the cable as a cause. BTW - I fired up my PC this morning with the BF2 disconnected without any problems. Upon rising this morning, I realized that I have a even older ASUS laptop running Windows 7 that I could try and duplicate the issue. Despite being an early riser I still need to wake up .Lol Anyway, I figure, the BF2 doesn't have to play music - the test would be to see if the Laptop will boot-up without Windows 7 failing to load with the USB cable attached.

That sounds like you need to go into the motherboard Bios, and change the boot sequence. USB looks to be first in sequence, before the Windows OS drive, resulting in your PC trying to boot from the Bifrost 2, when connected. Reset the order, so the OS drive is the first boot device, ahead of USB, and see what happens.

Nope. That was the first thing I checked 6 days ago. Only two sequences: Boot order is my SSD first, then an ASUS optical drive. Windows shouldn't even try to boot from a USB device but yeah - that seems to be what it's trying to do.

However, having said that, as I mentioned to Jason in an email, I came across this reference during a google search. It's 3 years old but the behavior is very similar:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-devices/7d0667a8-e68c-4081-9275-b20b09aa938a

I haven't tried disabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS. Imma gonna try my laptop first and see how that plays out. But now I need some caffeine :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back