Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #67,021 of 152,527
Please forgive me, this is gonna be wordy. I don't know where else to post this and I know that several of you have backgrounds in computers.

At this point, my assessment is that when I power up my PC, if (1) if the Bifrost 2 is connected to any motherboard USB port, Windows will fail to load (2) File corruption, except when running System File Checker (SFC), SFC reports " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations " (3) PC is getting old, processor could be failing. A couple of times, Windows has failed to load following a warm boot. I disconnect the cable from the Bifrost and reboot which works.

Microsoft hasn't followed-up.

Your thoughts?

from bios, what are the psu voltages are reported (with bifrost disconnected)? i suspect the psu has slowly degraded, most likely the 5Vsb (standby) is below 4.5V.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #67,022 of 152,527
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #67,023 of 152,527
For dog's sakes, buy a new computer.

I don't buy computers anymore - I build them myself. Have another one about 85% complete - but this one was running fine.

from bios, what are the psu voltages are reported (with bifrost disconnected)? i suspect the psu has slowly degraded, most likely the 5Vsb (standby) is below 4.5V.

Will have to check when I get some time. Probably tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #67,024 of 152,527
Please forgive me, this is gonna be wordy. I don't know where else to post this and I know that several of you have backgrounds in computers.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting Windows OS issues but this one has got me puzzled. My Windows experience hasn't included computer audio related issues (you wouldn't have a DAC connected to a server or desktop in an enterprise environment, especially using a USB).

On 11/10/20, I took delivery of a Lyr 3/Bifrost 2. Bifrost 2 connected same day via USB (initially to available USB 2.0 port) on motherboard I/O panel. From 11/10 thru 11/12 no problems encountered.

The problem manifests itself on the morning of 11/13/20

Nov. 20 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 installed on 11/13/20 -- Windows fails to load (cold boot).

I disconnected the USB cable from the Bifrost 2 and attempted to reboot -- Viloa! Windows 10 loads. Next day, I tried to start my PC and the same thing happens. Again, I disconnect the USB cable and Windows loads. I contacted Microsoft on Monday (11/16/20); tech remotes to my PC runs some diagnostics but the only thing the tech can offer is that my PC is probably old. Yeah, it's 12 y/o but it was running just fine.

When you say cold boot, do you mean booting only to BIOS, or not even BIOS?

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #67,025 of 152,527
When you say cold boot, do you mean booting only to BIOS, or not even BIOS?

No.

When I say cold boot, I'm referring to turning on the computer for the first time after it has been powered off for a prolong period of time, for example overnight. Sometimes, I will do a warm boot (Restart), after I've been using my PC for several hours and the same behavior (Windows fails to load) will occur. So, I disconnect Bifrost 2 and try again. Windows will load at that point. When this behavior first happened on 11/13, the splash screen for the motherboard (ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene) would hang, so I changed it in the BIOS so it wouldn't display but that didn't help.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #67,026 of 152,527

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting Windows OS issues but this one has got me puzzled. My Windows experience hasn't included computer audio related issues (you wouldn't have a DAC connected to a server or desktop in an enterprise environment, especially using a USB).

On 11/10/20, I took delivery of a Lyr 3/Bifrost 2. Bifrost 2 connected same day via USB (initially to available USB 2.0 port) on motherboard I/O panel. From 11/10 thru 11/12 no problems encountered.

Nov. 20 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 installed on 11/13/20 -- Windows fails to load (cold boot).

I disconnected the USB cable from the Bifrost 2 and attempted to reboot -- Viloa! Windows 10 loads. Next day, I tried to start my PC and the same thing happens. Again, I disconnect the USB cable and Windows loads. I contacted Microsoft on Monday (11/16/20); tech remotes to my PC runs some diagnostics but the only thing the tech can offer is that my PC is probably old. Yeah, it's 12 y/o but it was running just fine.

Yesterday, I connected to another USB port and this morning -- Windows fails to load. I disconnect the cable and Windows loads.

Drivers are all up to date with the exception of the USB Generic and Root Hub drivers provided by Microsoft. No current drivers available. Ran diagnostics on all drives using Samsung Magician for Boot SSD and CrystalDiskInfo on HDD's -- No reported issues. Drives are healthy. Ran System File Checker (SFC.exe) and Windows Troubleshooter.

Windows Application Log entry 4:55:27 AM

Log Name: Application Error
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: PowerControlHelp.exe, version: 1.0.0.9, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x979ddb1d
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x00129ab2
Faulting process id: 0x2cf4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bdaa11c967ac
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\DIGI+ Power Control\PowerControlHelp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: adc2fe56-49f1-4ca7-832b-16c2d9413436
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is followed by:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Event ID: 1001

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: PowerControlHelp.exe
P2: 1.0.0.9
P3: 00000000
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.572
P6: 979ddb1d
P7: 0eedfade
P8: 00129ab2
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_PowerControlHelp_154f9ba3fee087fa35bddbd1b6c3fe489958d2ef_9bb8f8ba_20ac4a79-9d84-4de1-8d14-1f27d5d2ffec
(Can't open above file)

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

At this point, my assessment is that when I power up my PC, if (1) if the Bifrost 2 is connected to any motherboard USB port, Windows will fail to load (2) File corruption, except when running System File Checker (SFC), SFC reports " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations " (3) PC is getting old, processor could be failing. A couple of times, Windows has failed to load following a warm boot. I disconnect the cable from the Bifrost and reboot which works.

Your thoughts?
Check your USB power settings: Go to control panel> category> power options> select "high performance"> change plan settings> Change advanced power settings>USB settings> USB selective suspend setting.> select DISABLED. Windows tries to save power by killing USB port power, and it causes problems with some equipment. It worked for me, but your results may vary. Good luck!

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #67,027 of 152,527

Yesterday, I connected to another USB port and this morning -- Windows fails to load. I disconnect the cable and Windows loads.

Drivers are all up to date with the exception of the USB Generic and Root Hub drivers provided by Microsoft. No current drivers available. Ran diagnostics on all drives using Samsung Magician for Boot SSD and CrystalDiskInfo on HDD's -- No reported issues. Drives are healthy. Ran System File Checker (SFC.exe) and Windows Troubleshooter.

Windows Application Log entry 4:55:27 AM

Log Name: Application Error
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: PowerControlHelp.exe, version: 1.0.0.9, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x979ddb1d
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x00129ab2
Faulting process id: 0x2cf4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bdaa11c967ac
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\DIGI+ Power Control\PowerControlHelp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is followed by:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Event ID: 1001

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: PowerControlHelp.exe

Your thoughts?

It sounds like a shorted USB connector - have you swapped cables? Try running through an active hub.......

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #67,028 of 152,527
Check your USB power settings: Go to control panel> category> power options> select "high performance"> change plan settings> Change advanced power settings>USB settings> USB selective suspend setting.> select DISABLED. Windows tries to save power by killing USB port power, and it causes problems with some equipment. It worked for me, but your results may vary. Good luck!

Done -- we'll see 👍

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #67,029 of 152,527
@Acapella48

you can also change bios setting to boot from CD and run memtest from there, bypassing Win10 (some Asus mobo's had memtest built in???). if it runs OK, then likely the PSU, mobo & CPU is OK, since this runs without throttling the CPU.

Lyr3 + Bifrost 2 should be a nice sounding setup, once you get this resolved :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #67,032 of 152,527
USB cable is brand new. Recently purchased from the cable company (thecableco.com). I have another one around here somewhere but it's really old.

make sure the old cable isn't usb 1.1 spec (a may still have a few of those connected to my Win XP legacy machine)

also if you boot without the BF2 attached, then plug it in, what happens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back