Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #66,631 of 152,907
Sucks to hear about AKM, but it's nice to see Modi MB got a stay of execution, even if it's just "temporary"...
Yes, I had one and sold it. Really couldn't distinguish much of a difference between the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit. The Modi multibit is $250 bargain IMO.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #66,632 of 152,907
I saw my first piece of Schiit in the wild last night. A local restaurant had a Saga in their music system.

A local record store (Josey Records in Carrollton (DFW area)) has one of their record players hooked up to a Mani.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #66,633 of 152,907
If you're not getting an automated "we got your email" response from info@schiit.com immediately, then it's in Spam. Or something else is wonky. Because there will be an automated response right away, then a human response shortly afterwards.
Thanks. I did get the automated response, but still no human response after a week and a half, which is what led me to follow up via email and here.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #66,634 of 152,907
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #66,635 of 152,907
I have just agreed to buy a Mjolnir 2 after a lot of research, including this thread, and want to test my understanding. It think its of general interest because there is so much less online discussion about the Mjolnir 2 vs the other headphone amps, but it is an interesting part of the Schiit lineup and story.

As described here, Mjolnir 2 was a radical redesign of Mjolnir. The biggest change was the switch from solid state design to tube design. Schiit decided to do something funky at the same time and launched the LIIST solid-state 'tubes' which work in the Mjolnir 2 and other Schiit tube amps. Schiit marketed the bundle as providing the best of both worlds.

A few years down the line, Mjolnir 2 is still in the lineup as the end-game headphone amp. LIIST seem to be reviewed as decent, but not vastly better than tubes and were ultimately discontinued because of the complexity of manufacturing. For someone new coming in it can be condfusing to see reviews of the Mjolnir 2 that are based around it's capabilities as a solid-state amp, and which don't place it with the lineup of other Schiit headphone amps and modular amps. It seems Mjolnir 2 used to be differentiated as the balanced amp with tons of power, but it now has to share the stage with Magnius. It seems that Mjolnir 2 used to stand way ahead as the flagship tube amp, but it now has to share the stage with the Lyr 3 and its newer design including Continuity.

In a recent online discussion, it seemed like Jason was suggesting the sheer size and heat output of Mjolnir were also hurdles to its popularity.

Many people who own the Mjolnir 2 love it. I hope that's my experience too.
I would still own mine if I had not made the leap to electrostatic headphones. It is a great amp.

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #66,636 of 152,907
I have just agreed to buy a Mjolnir 2 after a lot of research, including this thread, and want to test my understanding. It think its of general interest because there is so much less online discussion about the Mjolnir 2 vs the other headphone amps, but it is an interesting part of the Schiit lineup and story.

As described here, Mjolnir 2 was a radical redesign of Mjolnir. The biggest change was the switch from solid state design to tube design. Schiit decided to do something funky at the same time and launched the LIIST solid-state 'tubes' which work in the Mjolnir 2 and other Schiit tube amps. Schiit marketed the bundle as providing the best of both worlds.

A few years down the line, Mjolnir 2 is still in the lineup as the end-game headphone amp. LIIST seem to be reviewed as decent, but not vastly better than tubes and were ultimately discontinued because of the complexity of manufacturing. For someone new coming in it can be condfusing to see reviews of the Mjolnir 2 that are based around it's capabilities as a solid-state amp, and which don't place it with the lineup of other Schiit headphone amps and modular amps. It seems Mjolnir 2 used to be differentiated as the balanced amp with tons of power, but it now has to share the stage with Magnius. It seems that Mjolnir 2 used to stand way ahead as the flagship tube amp, but it now has to share the stage with the Lyr 3 and its newer design including Continuity.

In a recent online discussion, it seemed like Jason was suggesting the sheer size and heat output of Mjolnir were also hurdles to its popularity.

Many people who own the Mjolnir 2 love it. I hope that's my experience too.
I love my Mjolnir 1. I didn't want to mess with tubes any more, so I picked up a Mjolnir 1 used. The lack of a 1/4" out didn't bother me since I have an Asgard 2 for that. I just like the old case design better. I know it costs more to make, so it's not the path forward, but I don't see my amps dying and becoming unserviceable by Schiit any time soon. Thus, I can have a couple "obsolete" amps for a long time.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #66,637 of 152,907
@evanescent
Congratulations on your purchase of MJ2, I think you will like it. The circlotron topology does not bring you Continuity, but it does bring a sweet sound. By that I mean a tonal richness, a deeper timbre than many other designs, and one that sounds to me more like live acoustical music. I also thought it was significantly better than Lyr 3 (better ambience, better sound stage, more of a feeling of ‘being there’).

Two notable features:
1. There are only two tubes to roll. For @bcowen that is a terrible disadvantage, for me a nice advantage. It does get a little warm, but not really hot like four tubes would.
2. To my ears it does sound marginally better with balanced headphone cables. That’s with Senn600 or 650, Dan Clark Audio Aeons, Focal Elex. But that is marginal, subtle.
(My source for inexpensive but good headphone cables, Impact Audio Cables, may have gone out of business. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion.)

Enjoy
Noah

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #66,638 of 152,907
Thus, I can have a couple "obsolete" amps for a long time.

IIRC, Schiit was on a kick about how the whole company was obsolete and everything they made was obsolete a while back. Then that ad campaign became obsolete and they quit that schtick, which is the only un-Schiit thing I think I've ever seen Schiit do. After all, if the obsolete ads were obsolete, and Schiit got into the whole obsolete game because the company is obsolete, wouldn't the obsolete obsolete ads be the most Schiity ads they could possibly run?

Too meta of me?

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #66,639 of 152,907
We now own a building in Texas!

More later on the Schiitrmeet next week. But it will cover AKM and Texas. You get me and Tyler. Feel free to ask him philosophical questions. He is, after all, Director of Miscellaneous. And like a Masters or Ph.D in Philosophy or something like that (should we be nervous he's the HR/flying-desk-bureaucrat/money guy too?)

Last edited:

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #66,640 of 152,907
IIRC, Schiit was on a kick about how the whole company was obsolete and everything they made was obsolete a while back. Then that ad campaign became obsolete and they quit that schtick, which is the only un-Schiit thing I think I've ever seen Schiit do. After all, if the obsolete ads were obsolete, and Schiit got into the whole obsolete game because the company is obsolete, wouldn't the obsolete obsolete ads be the most Schiity ads they could possibly run?

Look forward to Measurements, Schmeasurements on Wednesday..........

Last edited:

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #66,641 of 152,907
...should we be nervous he's the HR/flying-desk-bureaucrat/money guy too?

Yes.

:smiley:

Congrats on the new building!! Once you get all moved in, let me know if I need to ship you some real BBQ. :smile:

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #66,642 of 152,907
Yes.

:smiley:

Congrats on the new building!! Once you get all moved in, let me know if I need to ship you some real BBQ. :smile:

Ain't touching that. As a Californian, I would say that any BBQ will be heartily enjoyed. Also, The BBQ Man is within walking distance of our building. So there's that.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #66,643 of 152,907
We now own a building in Texas!

More later on the Schiitrmeet next week. But it will cover AKM and Texas. You get me and Tyler. Feel free to ask him philosophical questions. He is, after all, Director of Miscellaneous. And like a Masters or Ph.D in Philosophy or something like that (should we be nervous he's the HR/flying-desk-bureaucrat/money guy too?)

congrats on the building. beware tornados & flooding (but no worries about earthquakes)

does this now mean that Schiit has an official position on BBQ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back