Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #66,617 of 155,097
I have just agreed to buy a Mjolnir 2 after a lot of research, including this thread, and want to test my understanding. It think its of general interest because there is so much less online discussion about the Mjolnir 2 vs the other headphone amps, but it is an interesting part of the Schiit lineup and story.

As described here, Mjolnir 2 was a radical redesign of Mjolnir. The biggest change was the switch from solid state design to tube design. Schiit decided to do something funky at the same time and launched the LIIST solid-state 'tubes' which work in the Mjolnir 2 and other Schiit tube amps. Schiit marketed the bundle as providing the best of both worlds.

A few years down the line, Mjolnir 2 is still in the lineup as the end-game headphone amp. LIIST seem to be reviewed as decent, but not vastly better than tubes and were ultimately discontinued because of the complexity of manufacturing. For someone new coming in it can be condfusing to see reviews of the Mjolnir 2 that are based around it's capabilities as a solid-state amp, and which don't place it with the lineup of other Schiit headphone amps and modular amps. It seems Mjolnir 2 used to be differentiated as the balanced amp with tons of power, but it now has to share the stage with Magnius. It seems that Mjolnir 2 used to stand way ahead as the flagship tube amp, but it now has to share the stage with the Lyr 3 and its newer design including Continuity.

In a recent online discussion, it seemed like Jason was suggesting the sheer size and heat output of Mjolnir were also hurdles to its popularity.

Many people who own the Mjolnir 2 love it. I hope that's my experience too.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #66,618 of 155,097
Anyone had luck getting ahold of Schiit service lately? I sent a service inquiry regarding my Mjolnir 2—accidentally dropped a screw into it and something blew—a week and a half ago through the website, and there's been no response so far, despite two follow-up emails to info@schiit.com. If things are just slow at the moment, that's fine, but it seems like others in this thread have (at least as of a couple months ago) been getting much faster responses. So any recent reports would be quite welcome.

Also, as a bit of advice to owners of Schiit's tube-based amps: don't drop a screw into them! Fortunately, I was able to appropriate an Asgard 3 from my Corona-vacated office.

Ouch, that is sure one screwed up problem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have no issues with emailing Schiit so far; let's just say that they are more prompt than me.

Meanwhile, have you also tried using this form? It worked for me
https://www.schiit.com/contact/help-support

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #66,619 of 155,097
@Les Strat, @valiant66 Peter Walker was a true audio enthusiast and a genius mind. Started out with public announcement tube amps for the London underground and moved to "domestic" audio (the D in Quad).
The II (tube) 303 amp, 405 current dumping amp all are unique and seasoned designs that make me smile as I see the resemblance with designs that @Jason Stoddard is coming up with. Not following the easy path hundred or even thousands of amp designers took (standard Linn topology) but look for a different route.

Yes Peter walker was the one who phrased "wire with a gain", knowing that no one ever could make that work. But I can tell you a set set of mono Aegir's comes close, very close.
The electrostatic full range loudspeaker, simply called ESL, was a industry standard shifting product in 1957 when it was first released. Stayed there for may years and still is a sound and style icon appreciated by many.
It's successor was even more unique with an imaginary point source 30 cm behind the speaker (man how that works for imaging and sound stage) and yes, an ESL can not be matched by anything in midrange (vocals) and detail. No honest competition if you only have to move 5 grams over two speakers, the total mass of the moving diaphragm and a true piston working.
It took Peter Walker 17 years!! to get it working. Design started in 1963, hence the model name, but it was only released in 1981.
So you Schiit heads be patient with those Schiit guys and girls on the transport and the gadget, something unique takes time, lots of it.
Only time will tell if all, some, most of the Schiit products will be sought after products decades after the demise of the company.
I mean, buying a speaker that was designed in 1955, marketed in 1957 and is still sought after in 2020, how weird can it be.

Luckily the days of having to reduce the wattage to 35 watt to keep the ESL's from breaking down are in the past. Sadly the China build product are crap.

PS. If anyone in the UK can bring me in contact with a person that knows something about the next project Peter Walker started after the ESL-63 but never finished, "The Balls", that would be a dream come true. I have read that some (only a few) survived when Quad was sold to IAG. I would love to have a peak inside to get a glimps of what he had thought up for his next step.

PPS Yes I'm a huge fan. Sorry for that. But I'm also a huge Schiit fan. Hope that is a bit of compensation.
@wout31
I am sure there is no need to apologise for being a Quad and Schiit fan, especially on this forum!
Your comments about the Aegir used as monoblocs are high praise indeed coming from a Quad aficionado.
I am also a huge Schiit fan. I have a Yggy A2 and Freya S. I consider both to be superbly designed and engineered products.
If I had 'conventional' speakers, or even a pair of ESLs, a pair of Aegir monoblocs would be very tempting.
The Aegir looks like a brilliant design.
I went down a different path for my speakers with another company which I am a huge fan of- ATC, which is based here in UK.
Mine are 'active' ( SCM 100 ASL) so they have built-in power amps of 200W, 100W and 50W for bass, mid and HF drivers respectively.
To my ears they sound fantastic, especially paired with the Yggy which has a superb balanced output stage.
I had wanted a pair of ATCs ever since I first heard some over 25 years ago, as they blew me away! I finally bought mine about 12 years ago.
If I had heard some ESLs instead of ATCs all those years ago, who knows, it might have been a different story...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #66,622 of 155,097
And now to the latest Sol news.

Pinned it down to 60.34 Hz to get to the exact right RPM.
In the end it is simple, but to find the right gear was not easy.
What I now have is a VFD that has 0.02% frequency stability that can be adjusted with 0.01 Hz steps.
Next I took a 230V - 16V AC wall warth to feed the motor. That's all. Works like a charm.

One important note though, the VFD has a fan that makes a lot of noise.
Happily no problem for me. I put it in the wall closed where the switch box is and feed a marked 60Hz wall socket with a separate cabling through the crawl space of my home.

This must be the first Sol in operation in a 230V 50Hz country, or did someone beat me to it?

rpm2.jpg 6034.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #66,623 of 155,097
Anyone had luck getting ahold of Schiit service lately? I sent a service inquiry regarding my Mjolnir 2—accidentally dropped a screw into it and something blew—a week and a half ago through the website, and there's been no response so far, despite two follow-up emails to info@schiit.com. If things are just slow at the moment, that's fine, but it seems like others in this thread have (at least as of a couple months ago) been getting much faster responses. So any recent reports would be quite welcome.

Also, as a bit of advice to owners of Schiit's tube-based amps: don't drop a screw into them! Fortunately, I was able to appropriate an Asgard 3 from my Corona-vacated office.

If you're not getting an automated "we got your email" response from info@schiit.com immediately, then it's in Spam. Or something else is wonky. Because there will be an automated response right away, then a human response shortly afterwards.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #66,624 of 155,097
The future is here today, my friend! Dr. Emma Russel, while doing research in the field of cold fusion made a secondary discovery: the low-power flux capacitor. They are now available, in several convenient capacities, from Mr. Fusion Corp.

Excellent deep cut reference.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #66,625 of 155,097
Thanks @KoshNaranek
Everyone is getting very excited about this news here in UK.
Stock markets in Europe have gone crazy in anticipation of a return to normality soon...
Let's hope there really is light at the end of the tunnel :fingers_crossed:
Don't get too excited. Safety data is not in yet and this particular vaccine has to be shipped and stored on dry ice. It is a logistical nightmare.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #66,627 of 155,097
@Les Strat, @valiant66 Peter Walker was a true audio enthusiast and a genius mind. Started out with public announcement tube amps for the London underground and moved to "domestic" audio (the D in Quad).
The II (tube) 303 amp, 405 current dumping amp all are unique and seasoned designs that make me smile as I see the resemblance with designs that @Jason Stoddard is coming up with. Not following the easy path hundred or even thousands of amp designers took (standard Linn topology) but look for a different route.

Yes Peter walker was the one who phrased "wire with a gain", knowing that no one ever could make that work. But I can tell you a set set of mono Aegir's comes close, very close.
The electrostatic full range loudspeaker, simply called ESL, was a industry standard shifting product in 1957 when it was first released. Stayed there for may years and still is a sound and style icon appreciated by many.
It's successor was even more unique with an imaginary point source 30 cm behind the speaker (man how that works for imaging and sound stage) and yes, an ESL can not be matched by anything in midrange (vocals) and detail. No honest competition if you only have to move 5 grams over two speakers, the total mass of the moving diaphragm and a true piston working.
It took Peter Walker 17 years!! to get it working. Design started in 1963, hence the model name, but it was only released in 1981.
So you Schiit heads be patient with those Schiit guys and girls on the transport and the gadget, something unique takes time, lots of it.
Only time will tell if all, some, most of the Schiit products will be sought after products decades after the demise of the company.
I mean, buying a speaker that was designed in 1955, marketed in 1957 and is still sought after in 2020, how weird can it be.

Luckily the days of having to reduce the wattage to 35 watt to keep the ESL's from breaking down are in the past. Sadly the China build product are crap.

PS. If anyone in the UK can bring me in contact with a person that knows something about the next project Peter Walker started after the ESL-63 but never finished, "The Balls", that would be a dream come true. I have read that some (only a few) survived when Quad was sold to IAG. I would love to have a peak inside to get a glimps of what he had thought up for his next step.

PPS Yes I'm a huge fan. Sorry for that. But I'm also a huge Schiit fan. Hope that is a bit of compensation.
I've never heard a pair of Quad ESL, of either "vintage", perhaps to my detriment. However, when I was celebrating my first real job after university the Martin Logan Sequel II were the top competition to the Apogee Stage I eventually bought. There weren't any Quad dealers where I lived. I pined for the CLS, but couldn't afford them. I don't remember what tipped the balance between the ribbons and the electrostats...

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #66,630 of 155,097
Well, there's a restaurant that doesn't sound like Ass. Now, I hope the food doesn't taste like Ass...? :confounded:

Can there be any doubt? With a name like that, it's got to be good. :smile:

1604939650474.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back