Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,632 of 151,883
Dear Jason,

My friend and I thought about "borrowing" a couple of those new Andrew Jones ELAC speakers and getting the Rag to power them at theshow. I'm sure they would sound great off it. Maybe you should look into them? They run at $230 a pair and perform phenomenal for their price range. Everyone was shocked to hear that the price was missing that "extra zero".

I went to theshow mainly for headphones, since I had exams during Canjam. Yes, I noticed it was really dead. Bad news for exhibitors (sorry schiit), but great news for me and a few others who wanted to try gear. I probably spent a good 4 hours each day (for three days) listening to headphone setups. Even though I spent most of my time at Schiit B2Bing your entire line of products, I also checked out Dan's MrSpeakers table, Hifiman, and audeze.

It was great to finally spend some quality time with the yggdrasil and ragnarok. Loved that you had all the flagship headphones next to it (HE1000, HD800, ether, LCD3...) and wow, did the yggy sing in day three. Ragnarok was such a beast, providing juice to those headphones and bringing out their full potential (the LCD3's lower end was something to die for). On Sunday, there was actually time for me to try my own headphones balanced on the mojo and yggy rag, and wow, life has not been the same since--- I NEED to get a balanced setup going (increased resolution, even tighter bass with bigger balls, soundstage opened up... SE life is so sad to go back to).

Actually, to be honest, going down Schiit's line of products (towards the cheaper [more] affordable end), it wasn't a sad experience at all. It was nice to see that the Asgard Bifrost (which I own) still holds its weight against its bigger bros (for the price, you can't beat it). The MM2uber stack too, not far off from Asgard Bifrost (by far, the best deal still... and imo a substantial upgrade from the original MM stack). And the finally the fulla, a fine pairing with the 7xx next to it. It just shows that no matter what level your budget allows, you'll be happy. And it's also a good testament to how great their entry level products can be.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a full review, but I just loved your table's sense of hospitality and you, Daniel, Tony, and everyone else (so sad Mike couldn't make it) was willing to help and answer questions. I won't point any fingers, but some booths didn't really want to be there... I didn't get that feeling one bit at schiit. So Jason, I'm sorry you didn't get to reach out to as many people as you wanted, but you definitely made a good impression to the few that did come visit, especially to my friends and I. Hope to see you guys again soon!

Warmest Regards,
theblueprint

P.s. wasn't a fan of those windoze tablets to be honest (clunky interface, confusing), someone did mention that they were on sale refurbished so I understand haha.

P.p.s. can't wait for mojo2uber :wink:

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,634 of 151,883
  • Start looking at having a presence at smaller, regional meets. Beyond CanJam, there are plenty of meets. We need to make sure our newest and hottest stuff is there, so you can have a listen to it. How we’ll do this is currently open to discussion, but I’m sure we can be more present than we’ve been.

I hope this means you'll consider a presence at the Capital Audio Fest out in the Washington D.C. area  - http://www.capitalaudiofest.com. They added a headphone meet to the show last year (for impressions, click here). If you need someone to lug your Schiit to the meet, I'd be happy to oblige!
beyersmile.png

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #6,636 of 151,883

I hope this means you'll consider a presence at the Capital Audio Fest out in the Washington D.C. area  - http://www.capitalaudiofest.com. They added a headphone meet to the show last year (for impressions, click here). If you need someone to lug your Schiit to the meet, I'd be happy to oblige!
beyersmile.png

It's the same weekend as CanJam London, so I'm wondering how the turnout is going to be for Headphones...

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,637 of 151,883
  It's the same weekend as CanJam London, so I'm wondering how the turnout is going to be for Headphones...

Yeah, realistically I think it's only going to be local head-fi'ers bringing their gear this year. I was thinking more about 2016...

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,638 of 151,883
For headphone-related projects, I think that the small local and regional meets are the best platforms to get your gear out there. Throw a dart at Head-Fi and you'll probably hit a post with some variation of "Does X pair well with Y?" At a local meet, users could bring their own headphones and find out first hand if they work well with the [REDACTED].

The cozy nature should limit some of the needs. You wouldn't need to bring headphones (especially if you coordinated with headphone brands bringing their own), you wouldn't need the big PR stuff, and if you forget some stuff, you'll probably get plenty of help from attendees.

This could work really well for Schiit because you only sell directly, and for an event focused more on listening (less on selling products) that means getting to hear various units without having to exploit utilize the return policy.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6,639 of 151,883
For headphone-related projects, I think that the small local and regional meets are the best platforms to get your gear out there. Throw a dart at Head-Fi and you'll probably hit a post with some variation of "Does X pair well with Y?" At a local meet, users could bring their own headphones and find out first hand if they work well with the [REDACTED].

The cozy nature should limit some of the needs. You wouldn't need to bring headphones (especially if you coordinated with headphone brands bringing their own), you wouldn't need the big PR stuff, and if you forget some stuff, you'll probably get plenty of help from attendees.

This could work really well for Schiit because you only sell directly, and for an event focused more on listening (less on selling products) that means getting to hear various units without having to exploit utilize the return policy.

It could be called "Schiit Hits the Fans" 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #6,640 of 151,883
Great new chapter, really enjoyed it, got a chuckle about the Furry convention.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,641 of 151,883

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on last week’s chapter. 

• Do some of our own shows. Those new products? They’re probably going to be too late for CanJam NorCal, and too early for RMAF (which we’ll have some other new stuff at). So, why not do something ourselves around mid-August? Details TBD, of course, but that’s what we’re thinking about.
  • Start looking at having a presence at smaller, regional meets. Beyond CanJam, there are plenty of meets. We need to make sure our newest and hottest stuff is there, so you can have a listen to it. How we’ll do this is currently open to discussion, but I’m sure we can be more present than we’ve been.

So, what about some new show ideas? I’m blue-skying here, feel free to add.

• A show where everyone gets the same amount of space. In the headphone world, call it just one table. What would you do with that, if you couldn’t bring your 30-foot backwall and light show? Who would look most impressive then?
  • Better, a show where everyone is allowed to bring only a single system. Regardless of how big or small they are. It’s easy for us to look impressive and big with 8 separate systems from $79 to $3998, but what if we had to bring just a single system? What would we bring? And why? What would everyone else bring? Would it make sense to go all-out, or impress with budget-constrained products?
  • Or how about a show with “no system over $1,000?” How would that go? What would we find if the top-end is lopped off of the show, and we all have to bring budget gear?
  • Or maybe better, a show segregated by budget? This would definitely help prevent heart failure when people start asking about prices.
  • Meets that challenge you. You know, I’ve been thinking a lot about the whole objective/subjective dichotomy we have in audio lately, and I think it may be time to create a new kind of test. Not ABX with unfamiliar music, but something much more interesting—letting people choose their own music and switch between two different signal chains when they wanted (both level-matched and with distortion lower than audibility, you know, typical “good test results.” The goal would be to see if (a) a consistent majority preferred one signal chain over another, and (b) to see how many people could consistently tell the difference. Yes, I know, this kind of test will never satisfy the ABX folks, but I think it might get us a little closer to the truth about whether or not there are some people who consistently hear audible differences in systems that should sound the same. I suspect the answer is neither 100% subjective nor 100% objective, but a continuum…some people can hear the difference, some can’t, some care, some don’t…and all of that is fine. Of course, this is a big undertaking, but…hmmm…I need to think about this some more, I kinda just write stuff as it comes to me.

You're welcome. 

Mid August would be just before my birthday, and if I could get myself in the mood to spend the money to fly myself out to Valencia or wherever you're having it, I'd be more than happy. (and I'd have ideas for presents)
Damn right, I'd love to see you guys making it to more regional meets! I'm only planning on going to CanJam since I'm thin on money all the time, but it'd be cool just to know you dudes would be getting out there and meeting new people. Unlike my sister who stays home all day and reads books like Pride and Prejidousch. 

Ideas 1-4 are too progressive and fly in the face of tried-and-true capitalist urges. However, pretty much all those ideas appeal to me, especially the single system one and the challenge one. Being able to play your own music would help a lot with how that system sounds with one's own tastes. 

Also, happy pre-5th birthday! 

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #6,643 of 151,883
The "just your Schiit" meet should be called "The Schiitstorm."

I have to say I'm really enjoying reading the serialization of what could turn out to be a really good book for those thinking about starting a business or growing a small one.  Almost all of the "shows" post contained advice that I've been through with dozens of companies (on behalf of their investors, or potential investors) around marketing decisions and positioning.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #6,644 of 151,883

• We thought we’d be introducing some new stuff. But it was late. Ah, well. Look to mid-August (but not at a show.)

• So, why not do something ourselves around mid-August? Details TBD, of course, but that’s what we’re thinking about.

Sounds like a fantastic idea!  
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6,645 of 151,883
How about a special 5th anniversary Schiit-fest?

Fans of Schiit can gather together for a one time meet up with the Schitt makers. Also Schiit can also give special deals(think b-stock and etc) for loyal customers/fans attending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back