Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #65,269 of 151,701
That makes sense to me. I wonder if Schiit Audio’s locking themselves out of users that insist on other (woo woo?) disc formats? I can’t help but wonder if that decision (you referred to) might reduce the number of new users entering our brand ecosystem.
Yes, that's exactly what they are doing, but since the number of "other format" users is so small it really doesn't matter. :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #65,271 of 151,701
Found it!!
The crossover espresso machine / class A amp.

1601131486597.png

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #65,272 of 151,701
Found it!!

1601131486597.png
ph*cing awsome! I bet you can also run a car with it. One espresso and Fabrizio De André- Via del Campo in a Lancia Thema please!

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #65,273 of 151,701
Found it!!

1601131486597.png

WOW! Someone combined their gear-head auto hobby with their high end audio hobby! That thing looks like a chromed big block chevy motor!

Speaking of amplifiers as artwork - I've always wanted to build a pair of vacuum tube OTL power amplifiers in the shape of old school radial plane engines. Make them as functional wall art, with the toroidal power transformer in the center. Certain issues like the tendency to burn the wall they're hung on would have to be worked out though.

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #65,274 of 151,701
WOW! Someone combined their gear-head auto hobby with their high end audio hobby! That thing looks like a chromed big block chevy motor!

Speaking of amplifiers as artwork - I've always wanted to build a pair of vacuum tube OTL power amplifiers in the shape of old school radial plane engines. Make them as functional wall art, with the toroidal power transformer in the center. Certain issues like the tendency to burn the wall they're hung on would have to be worked out though.
the peek hole burner

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #65,275 of 151,701
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #65,276 of 151,701
But how does it measure? Does ASR recommend it? :)

About 11.2 x 15.8 x 17.2 cm, and also very transparent, which in audio usually is a good thing :relaxed:

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #65,277 of 151,701
Nice tube in there! What is it?
I love the fact that the adapter actually is larger than the tube itself :grinning:

I take it that with an appropriate adapter it can also be run in a Lyr3 as well?

That's a 1971 Mullard (Mitchum) CV3986. Pretty nice sounding $16 tube. :grimacing: Sounds great in the Vali 2 where it is quite compatible with a 6922. Not the best substitute for the 6SN7 in the Lyr 3 though. That's where the 1964 Melz 6N16B-I are better candidates. If they sound anything close to the 1963 Melz 1578's they'll be quite the steal at $3.50 each. Have these in-hand, just haven't gotten around to wiring them into an octal tube base yet 'cause I'm a slacker. :smile:

1601140491380.png

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #65,278 of 151,701
Oh man, I'm glad I checked! On a whim I decided to check Schiit's B-stock and saw a 115v Bifrost MB Gen 5 USB in black. In BLACK.... I've always wanted to get a multibit Bifrost but can't do BF2 since I'm a dinosaur running Win7....Don't go there! It's on order and maaayyybeeee I'll see it before the weekend is out. :L3000:
Aaaaaand, it's out for delivery...a day early!! *cough* *cough* I feel sick. I should probably take the rest of the day off so I don't infect anyone at work...
Man, I love my Schiit! Black is so pretty! The only cosmetic issue I could see with this Bimby was some insignificant marks on the bottom corners where the original owner had most likely added rubber feet which were most likely removed by Schiit during their refurb/checkout procedure. Thankfully I have a stash of Lee Press-On Feet so that my Phonitor x won't get marked up.

Powered it up, and sat there watching the front panel LEDs continuously cycle for about five minutes. Oh shiit, what did I break?!? Then I realized "Hmm, maybe it's a good idea to plug the USB cable in." Power cycled just to be safe and watched the LEDs cycle a couple times before locking onto the USB input. The computer didn't complain and showed "Bifrost Gen 5" in the list of playback devices. Started playing some of my Loreena McKennitt tracks that I've found to be quite expressive. Truthfully, I couldn't really tell any difference between what I was hearing versus what I had heard through my old DS Bifrost. It all sounds wonderful to me. I guess I'd love to have a way to really run them side by side to see if I could hear a difference, but with my ears, the nuances would most likely be lost. I'm happy with my purchase, no buyer's remorse whatsoever.
Jason et al., thank you once again for providing such amazing products! :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #65,279 of 151,701
I was going to suggest a used MacMini because they're pretty happy running headless. Most, if not all, streaming apps can be controlled from another computer using the native apps and 'pointing' the music to another device. I use a mini exactly like this using an iPad controlling Roon and, for my wife, Spotify.
However, the guy did ask for laptop suggestions so I realize I'm not adding much to the conversation.

Leave it to us Apple fan-boys to recommend Mac no matter what the question was :L3000:

Yep, I resemble that remark ... been using a MacMini for years now ... not even a glitch of a problem in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back