Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #65,297 of 149,646
Does Dolby Digital have a core PCM track that can be extracted and played without a Dolby license?
Then our fav DACs could do that and be hooked up to TVs.

my favorite dacs (bifrost 2, modi multibit) are hooked up to the TV.

Most streaming services and other devices put out PCM (xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, Roku, etc).

Also - Amazon/Ebay/Monoprice all sell devices that will extract PCM or Dolby (rare but they do exist) from the HDMI and output optical or coax SPDIF.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #65,298 of 149,646
It's quiet. Too quiet...
What I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend is that they are very busy on deciding what light colour the VU meters must be on the new fully balanced 15 channel stereo Loki Maxi with master volume control EQ. So I understand the silence as we already know that colours are a tricky thing at Schiit. @Jason Stoddard: Let me help you here. Make it switchable to blue, green, amber, red and white?

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #65,299 of 149,646
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #65,300 of 149,646
What I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend is that they are very busy on deciding what light colour the VU meters must be on the new fully balanced 15 channel stereo Loki Maxi with master volume control EQ. So I understand the silence as we already know that colours are a tricky thing at Schiit. @Jason Stoddard: Let me help you here. Make it switchable to blue, green, amber, red and BLINDING white?

FTFY :wink:

@Pietro Cozzi Tinin
white is ok! don't mess this up! :wink:

Preferred...actually! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #65,301 of 149,646
@Pietro Cozzi Tinin
white is ok! don't mess this up! :wink:
One colour only could mess up ones "feng shui".
So if that colour doesn't fit into ones FSHI (feng shui happiness index) there can be huge problems.
I, for instance, like to make the colours of "this weeks fresh flower bouquet" (TWFFB) be leading in choice of connecting ambiance vibrations (CAV).
In short: FSHI = TWFFB x CAV, so you never get away with only white UV meters.

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #65,304 of 149,646
some tv's will convert dolby to pcm. Mine does. But I doubt there is a pcm layer somewhere in the dolby package.
Dolby Digital is AC3, but video content that use DD is required to also offer a coincident PCM 2-channel signal. So I suspect rather then converting DD to PCM what you are seeing is simply an ability to select which signal you use.

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #65,305 of 149,646
can Saga S drive a 300 ohm load and / or Freya S drive a 300 ohm SE or 600 ohm Balanced load ?

Trying to figure out what you're asking. Are you hooking up these preamps to something other than a typical power amplifier (e.g., usually have an input impedance in the 22kohm+ range)? Like a headphone?

ed

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #65,306 of 149,646
Sep 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #65,307 of 149,646
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #65,308 of 149,646
Trying to figure out what you're asking. Are you hooking up these preamps to something other than a typical power amplifier (e.g., usually have an input impedance in the 22kohm+ range)? Like a headphone?

ed

(edited)
was considering an 'off label use' to drive reasonably sensitive hi-z cans to low to moderate levels with remote volume control and only a single buffer or Nexus gain stage between DAC and HP's.

@Jason Stoddard had mentioned about designing preamps to run in class A, and that some users were using Yggy driving 600 ohm input transformers (one of the reasons for developing the Analog 2 boards), so I also presumed that Schiit designed the Nexus stage in Freya S to also be capable of a 600 ohm balanced (or 300 SE load) at 2V or so.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #65,310 of 149,646
If I'd done that I'd have died of alcohol poisoning. So I loaded the bong....
We went for a walk by the Pacific from start to end of show. Even though there's a bit of haze from the inland fires, the waves, birds, were awesome as always. When humans threaten to disappoint, turn to nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back