Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #65,236 of 150,665
Looking for opinions (I like to live dangerously).

I want to refresh my living room system with some mid-size Schiit. Looking for a Multibit DAC and a headphone amp/preamp to drive my Sennheisers 6XX and my old Meridian 555 amplifier with Dynaudio stand-mounted speakers. I do not want tubes and I do not really need balanced, it's OK if it's there but I will not be using it, al least not for a couple of years. The source is a Mac Mini media server (for now anyway).

So, between an Asgard with Multibit card ($399) and a Bifrost + Magnius ($898), other than price and balanced modes, what will I gain by paying twice the price? Is the sound difference that significant?

My $0.02:
you list yourself on your equipment list as a recovering audiophile. there is no recovery, only remission. :)

Assuming you are looking at new or b-stock items
I recommend Asgard series, as the higher bias current will provide better performance with lower impedance headphones (when you upgrade from the 6XX and decide to try some low-impedance planars) and drive almost anything (except the Raal ribbon headphones). HD 6XX will get plenty loud with either the Asgard 2 or 3.

If your digital source is USB from a desktop PC or laptop then Bifrost 2 (electromagnetically isolated Unison USB, fewer ground loop issues with 3-prong AC mains connected amplifiers) is the way to go. if budget is a concern for this 'project', consider a gen 1 b-stock Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB interface (not gen 2 or gen 3).

Also, coaxial (RCA) S/PDIF sounds better than toslink (optical) S/PDIF for connecting CD player, etc to the DAC (just as Baldr aka Mike Moffat says).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #65,237 of 150,665
I was going to suggest a used MacMini because they're pretty happy running headless. Most, if not all, streaming apps can be controlled from another computer using the native apps and 'pointing' the music to another device. I use a mini exactly like this using an iPad controlling Roon and, for my wife, Spotify.
However, the guy did ask for laptop suggestions so I realize I'm not adding much to the conversation.

Leave it to us Apple fan-boys to recommend Mac no matter what the question was :L3000:

How does your wife like being controlled by Spotify? :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #65,239 of 150,665

I want to refresh my living room system with some mid-size Schiit. Looking for a Multibit DAC and a headphone amp/preamp to drive my Sennheisers 6XX and my old Meridian 555 amplifier with Dynaudio stand-mounted speakers. I do not want tubes and I do not really need balanced, it's OK if it's there but I will not be using it, al least not for a couple of years. The source is a Mac Mini media server (for now anyway).

So, between an Asgard with Multibit card ($399) and a Bifrost + Magnius ($898), other than price and balanced modes, what will I gain by paying twice the price? Is the sound difference that significant?

I have Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, and Magnius. I would recommend Bifrost and Asgard over Magnius. I find the Asgard sweeter and more organic sounding compared to the robotic Magnius.

I haven't heard the multibit card so can't comment there.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #65,241 of 150,665
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #65,242 of 150,665
If all you're doing is using it for music, perhaps consider going over to the dark side and buying a Mac. That's what Jason uses...

Actually, I use a MacBook Air (used to be Pro, don't need it anymore), and, more and more, a Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Go. I can recommend the Surface line without hesitation. They've been much less trouble than the Macs in general. I can't do Mac alone because I have key PC engineering software and I don't want to dual-boot. The Mac/iPad/Phone/Watch ecosystem is more integrated, if that matters to you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #65,243 of 150,665
I have Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, and Magnius. I would recommend Bifrost and Asgard over Magnius. I find the Asgard sweeter and more organic sounding compared to the robotic Magnius.

I haven't heard the multibit card so can't comment there.
There seems to be little love for the Magnius!
So far, Bifrost +Asgard is pretty much unanimous.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #65,244 of 150,665
My $0.02:
you list yourself on your equipment list as a recovering audiophile. there is no recovery, only remission. :)

Assuming you are looking at new or b-stock items
I recommend Asgard series, as the higher bias current will provide better performance with lower impedance headphones (when you upgrade from the 6XX and decide to try some low-impedance planars) and drive almost anything (except the Raal ribbon headphones). HD 6XX will get plenty loud with either the Asgard 2 or 3.

If your digital source is USB from a desktop PC or laptop then Bifrost 2 (electromagnetically isolated Unison USB, fewer ground loop issues with 3-prong AC mains connected amplifiers) is the way to go. if budget is a concern for this 'project', consider a gen 1 b-stock Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB interface (not gen 2 or gen 3).

Also, coaxial (RCA) S/PDIF sounds better than toslink (optical) S/PDIF for connecting CD player, etc to the DAC (just as Baldr aka Mike Moffat says).
Actually, it says recovered, not recovering. After 40 years of listening to gear and spending 10s of thousands of dollars upgrading and tweaking, I've learned to listen to the music instead of listening to the gear.

Now I'm just looking for something decent at a good price, so I fell in love with Schiit's product philosophy.

Now, if I can only stay away from that rabbit hole...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #65,245 of 150,665
My dad was aWurlitzer guy (had one at home in later life) and I was quite the fan for a while. I moved back home briefly when he was a widower and we went to a bunch of concerts. Check out Carlo Curley.
Same w/Marie-Claire Alain

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #65,246 of 150,665
Actually, it says recovered, not recovering. After 40 years of listening to gear and spending 10s of thousands of dollars upgrading and tweaking, I've learned to listen to the music instead of listening to the gear.

Now I'm just looking for something decent at a good price, so I fell in love with Schiit's product philosophy.

Now, if I can only stay away from that rabbit hole...

Dear sir, you are wise beyond your years. Even if you're 100 years old, my statement stands.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #65,247 of 150,665

My nickel (inflation y’know)... My first suggestion is for separate DAC and Amp. More inputs, more options and prive pounts for future upgrade paths. I have Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3, and they form a potent and very musical combination. I’ve not heard the internal DAC cards as I’ve no interest in them, as I don’t use USB at this point. Lots of opinions here - don’t forget about that 14-day trial. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #65,248 of 150,665
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #65,249 of 150,665
My nickel (inflation y’know)... My first siggestion is for separate DAC and Amp. More inputs, more options and prive pounts for future upgrade paths. I have Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3, and they form a potent and very musical combination. I’ve not heard the internal DAC cards as I’ve no interest in them, as I don’t use USB at this point. Lots of opinions here - don’t forget about that 14-day trial. Enjoy!

That's the combo most seem to recommend and the one I think i'm settling on!

Unfortunately, since I currently live in Colombia the 14 day trial is not an option, that's how long it takes to get down here!

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #65,250 of 150,665
Ufortunately, since I currently live in Colombia the 14 day trial is not an option, that's how long it takes to get down here!
I'm sure if you explain the situation to Schiit, they'll let you start the 14 days when it's in your hands. But I do imagine that if you decide to return it, the return shipping from Colombia won't be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back