Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #65,131 of 151,239
All of us (and our ears) are different. I’m sure those who believe in exotic cables also get that jarring feeling when he talks about those. It’s all good!

I don't "believe" in exotic cables, I hear differences between cables.

Paul McGowan, one of the founders of PS Audio credits @Baldr as the first person who demonstrated to him the sonic differences in cables.

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #65,132 of 151,239
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #65,133 of 151,239

Paul McGowan, one of the founders of PS Audio credits @Baldr as the first person who demonstrated to him the sonic differences in cables.
So that begs the question, what cables do you believe in? I think I get where you're going, but if you can hear the difference between cables, why don't you believe in exotic cables?

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #65,134 of 151,239
Rice is messy, you should try maglev feet, I hear they make a huge difference.
I just saw those (amazon, I think...)! Interesting!

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #65,135 of 151,239
No one's asking an interesting ? on the transport... Will it have a cute little-tikes training-wheel dac (analog outs) OR be a pure digital transport?
If you were Schiit, in the business of making really good, affordable DACs, what would you do? My bet is there’s just one of those RCA jackson the back. Other jacks? Sure. But just 1 RCA. There, I said it.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #65,136 of 151,239

Wasn’t casting aspersions on or toward anyone.

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #65,137 of 151,239
While at our local grocery, I noticed they had this:
Andygator.jpg
One of the latest I've tried from Abita. However, I'd had that recently, so I opted for something I haven't seen in a while. I've liked most things from New Belgium Brewery, so I brought this home:
Trippel.jpg
Crisp and clean and hoppy without crossing over into IPA territory. I don't understand the fascination with IPA... The New Belgium Trippel made a good accompaniment to Schiit:
Schiit.jpg
And my latest from ECM: https://ecmrecords.com/shop/1576244364/big-vicious-avishai-cohen-big-vicious I like this from Avishai Cohen quite a lot. I wanted to like this https://ecmrecords.com/shop/1580804906 as well, but do not. This was a minor buying spree of ECM releases brought on by all the talk about the MA Recordings samplers.
Big Vicious is lots of fun. Unlike it, Arctic Riff it's not on my current "go back to" mental list. Of my recent ECM acquisitions, these also stand out: Arco Iris (Amina Alaoui), Phoenix (Cymin Samawatie & Cymonology), Provenance (Bjorn Meyer), Swallow Tales (John Scofield), Discourses (Jon Balke), The Words and the Days (Enrico Rava).

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #65,138 of 151,239
Big Vicious is lots of fun. Unlike it, Arctic Riff it's not on my current "go back to" mental list. Of my recent ECM acquisitions, these also stand out: Arco Iris (Amina Alaoui), Phoenix (Cymin Samawatie & Cymonology), Provenance (Bjorn Meyer), Swallow Tales (John Scofield), Discourses (Jon Balke), The Words and the Days (Enrico Rava).
Thanks for the leads. I've listened to the samples of some of those discs, but not others. I'll do some more shopping...

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #65,140 of 151,239
Believing has nothing to to with it.
That's what @US Blues learns us.
Just listen and go for the best SQ
It's not magic or faith. It's different cable, different SQ.

Here's a primer on glide performance in a Cessna 172
Now, what if he can't read? (which is entirely possible because maybe he skipped reading classes too)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #65,141 of 151,239
Then it would be a CD player and not a transport :wink:
A few digital outs for connecting a DAC.
A pure transport as said ad nauseam. And for CD's only.
It will have the Freya form-factor with a drawer for accessibility.
The Case will be Schiit grey but one can choose a contrasting colour for the drawer.
Available drawer colours are: Schiit Grey, Pink, Corvette Powder Blue, Ferrari Red, White House Orange, BP Green and black.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #65,142 of 151,239
Oh man, I'm glad I checked! On a whim I decided to check Schiit's B-stock and saw a 115v Bifrost MB Gen 5 USB in black. In BLACK.... I've always wanted to get a multibit Bifrost but can't do BF2 since I'm a dinosaur running Win7....Don't go there! It's on order and maaayyybeeee I'll see it before the weekend is out. :L3000:

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #65,143 of 151,239
Oh man, I'm glad I checked! On a whim I decided to check Schiit's B-stock and saw a 115v Bifrost MB Gen 5 USB in black. In BLACK.... I've always wanted to get a multibit Bifrost but can't do BF2 since I'm a dinosaur running Win7....Don't go there! It's on order and maaayyybeeee I'll see it before the weekend is out. :L3000:
You can still upgrade to Win10 at no cost, assuming that you have a valid Win 7 license, just download the Windows 10 Update Assistant and run it. I don't know how long this will be available, but it was working in August.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #65,144 of 151,239
You can still upgrade to Win10 at no cost, assuming that you have a valid Win 7 license, just download the Windows 10 Update Assistant and run it. I don't know how long this will be available, but it was working in August.
For me, it's more insidious than that. I have a lot of software that may very likely become broken w. Win10. I'm not ready to go down that road unless I literally have no other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back