Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 22, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #65,161 of 152,861
Does it have vent holes on top? are they real or for show?
If it doesnt have real vent holes on top you could likely stack something on it.
My Bifrost 2 (classic) has those odd decorative vent holes. I stack my Asgard 2 on top of it. Now, THAT (and my Valhalla 2) gets toasty warm.

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #65,162 of 152,861
No one's asking an interesting ? on the transport... Will it have a cute little-tikes training-wheel dac (analog outs) OR be a pure digital transport?
Interesting musing! I'm curious about whether this new device will have other circuitry baked in (the GADGET, Loki Maxi EQ, Unison[?]). I'm kitted out with 3 different possible digital sources: Chromebook, iDevice, and Windows10. If I include my XBox1 console (and its 25ft, 7.6m [hey, it works] TOSLINK to my Bifrost)... I have 4 possible digital sources.

My lusterous, silver platters (discs) in storage. Whatever Schiit's cooking up at their CA or UT campuses... it will need to be odd enough for me to crack the open and let them spin.

...or for me to resume frequenting thrift shops for CD, DVD, SCAD, or ...?....

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #65,163 of 152,861
Aaaand...it's shipped! (Well, a shipping label has been created)
I think you'll be happy with this multibit device. Get prepared for all the fascinating clicking from its relay (totally normal... no magic blue smoke).

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #65,164 of 152,861
Interesting musing! I'm curious about whether this new device will have other circuitry baked in (the GADGET, Loki Maxi EQ, Unison[?]). I'm kitted out with 3 different possible digital sources: Chromebook, iDevice, and Windows10. If I include my XBox1 console (and its 25ft, 7.6m [hey, it works] TOSLINK to my Bifrost)... I have 4 possible digital sources.

My lusterous, silver platters (discs) in storage. Whatever Schiit's cooking up at their CA or UT campuses... it will need to be odd enough for me to crack the open and let them spin.

...or for me to resume frequenting thrift shops for CD, DVD, SCAD, or ...?....
Both Mike and Jason had stated redbook CD only.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #65,165 of 152,861
Interesting musing! I'm curious about whether this new device will have other circuitry baked in....
I like the idea of it being a digital preamp. Don't think it's in the cards.

How does Schiit feel about digital volume control? DSP?

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #65,167 of 152,861
Big Vicious is lots of fun. Unlike it, Arctic Riff it's not on my current "go back to" mental list. Of my recent ECM acquisitions, these also stand out: Arco Iris (Amina Alaoui), Phoenix (Cymin Samawatie & Cymonology), Provenance (Bjorn Meyer), Swallow Tales (John Scofield), Discourses (Jon Balke), The Words and the Days (Enrico Rava).
That Amina Alaoui disc is one of the most beautifully sad albums. Fado is one of those genres that not many have heard of, but it is beautiful and haunting, born in Portugal, and sung by women whose men were either at sea or had perished there. Please let me know what you think. Another gem in that genre is Ramana Vieira’s ’Lagrimas de Rainha’.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #65,168 of 152,861
Dude, you ain't gonna believe the stuff I'm about to tell you. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are gonna blow your mind!
Those are merely the cables of invisibility <sniff>

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #65,169 of 152,861
That Amina Alaoui disc is one of the most beautifully sad albums. Fado is one of those genres that not many have heard of, but it is beautiful and haunting, born in Portugal, and sung by women whose men were either at sea or had perished there. Please let me know what you think. Another gem in that genre is Ramana Vieira’s ’Lagrimas de Rainha’.
I recommended that album for a reason. I was born and raised in Portugal before leaving to the UK and then the US. Fado and the Portuguese guitar it relies on are deeply based on the music of Al-Andalus, the Muslim kingdoms that ruled much of the Iberian Peninsula for seven centuries. That's why the album hangs together so well, there's a wonderful continuum between North African, Portuguese, Spanish, and Sephardic music and poetry. Jordi Savall has also explored that territory often, for example in Granada 1013-1526. Or Romina Basso in Voces de Sefarad. For a great history of how it all came about, I love María Rosa Menocal's The Ornament of the World. (I just found out there was a PBS special based on the book, available on iTunes or Amazon, planning to check it out).

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #65,170 of 152,861
I recommended that album for a reason. I was born and raised in Portugal before leaving to the UK and then the US. Fado and the Portuguese guitar it relies on are deeply based on the music of Al-Andalus, the Muslim kingdoms that ruled much of the Iberian Peninsula for seven centuries. That's why the album hangs together so well, there's a wonderful continuum between North African, Portuguese, Spanish, and Sephardic music and poetry. Jordi Savall has also explored that territory often, for example in Granada 1013-1526. Or Romina Basso in Voces de Sefarad. For a great history of how it all came about, I love María Rosa Menocal's The Ornament of the World. (I just found out there was a PBS special based on the book, available on iTunes or Amazon, planning to check it out).
Ty! There’s a book in my future (And a PBS special). Muito Obrigado.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #65,171 of 152,861
Now, what if he can't read? (which is entirely possible because maybe he skipped reading classes too)
That I can't easily solve.
TL;DR for aircraft, is if the engine craps out, you usually have some time to solve the problem. The time available is directly proportional to your altitude when the Schiit stops the fans.

Best examples I can think of are :
BA9 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9) and;
Air Canada 143 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #65,172 of 152,861
For a while I owned and flew a Pitts S1S. There is a pocket behind the throttle. In the pocket is a brick. The brick is there so that in the event of an engine failure you can throw it out of the cockpit and it denotes where the plane will land.
Wow! Lucky you... That must have been amazing. Have only had the chance to do aerobatics once in a Decathalon. It was somehting else. A Pitts is a whole other level.
Maybe the glide ratio is not so good though if the brick story is true!

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #65,174 of 152,861
Thank you for a couple more leads, @earnmyturns. At this time I only have the MA Recordings issue from Calamus. I like that CD, so I will check out the Jordi Savall and Romina Basso. Just to make @GumbyDammit223 even more impatient, I'll listen to Calamus tonight with my Bifrost I MB...

I keep thinking I'll write something up about my Bifrost, but I like the sound of it so much I haven't had the will to disconnect it so I can hear my Mjolnir "naked" again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back