Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #65,118 of 152,846
Does it have vent holes on top? are they real or for show?
If it doesnt have real vent holes on top you could likely stack something on it.
The transport will use a drawer. No top loading. No slot loading.
Though with this message, it doesn't matter. I can just put it between the Yggy and the preamp, and leave the preamp to be on top to have more ventilation

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #65,119 of 152,846
I am laughing again with this part referring to body parts of a mouse: “Using a clock close to the DAC, running it all the way back to a moderately de-jittered and cleaned up transport clocks and data, very little difference exists. To repeat: trivial, mouse nuts, vanishingly little differences. This makes transport mechanism selection point towards product life and reliability, as it should.”

That reminds me of a joke that I heard Colin Mochrie tell at a live comedy show once:

Why do mice have such tiny balls?
Because so few know how to dance.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #65,121 of 152,846
Next step in the Sol 50Hz experiment.
My "El cheapo" inverter is good, but not good enough. The output is stable, but a little to low 59,7 Hz.
So that is not a good enough solution. It would make the records spin at 32 RPM instead of 33 1/3.
Now ordered a 1 phase in and 1 phase out 230V VFD for a max 400 watt. Should be enough :wink:
The accuracy of that thing is 0.01 Hz and I will use the Mani 16V AC power supply.
Fingers crossed.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #65,122 of 152,846
No really... You need special pads for the rack feet too!

I set mine in rice to increase damping and minimize vibrational noise
...and soak up any spilled Scotch-mod immediately.

If you stack the Bifrost 2 on top of the Jotunheim, it blocks the amp's vents and makes it run quite a bit hotter. Have you tried the other way around?

I'm currently stacking my Jotunheim atop my Bifrost 2 and they certainly run warm, but I can easily keep my hands on both.
That's just silly, nobody who's anybody in audio puts his amp on top. It just isn't done. That's like having non-engineered equipment shelves or $10 cables.

Indeed. Try these: https://solidairaudio.com
In my situation where there's a lot of heavy traffic on wet Dutch ground, they make a lot of difference.
Can you use those to float your boat, too?

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #65,123 of 152,846
Indeed. Try these: https://solidairaudio.com
In my situation where there's a lot of heavy traffic on wet Dutch ground, they make a lot of difference.
Kidding aside, I did some very minor experiments with vibration control-- limited to different feet under source components. I could never hear any difference. But my architectural situation appears to be much different than yours. My house is on a slab on top of expansive but not mushy clay. The closest freeway traffic is 1 km away, our neighborhood streets are pretty quiet. Now, I did buy a pair of Sound Anchor stands for my current speakers (the "floor base" style). Oddly, I bought them mostly to protect the bottoms of the speakers from the vacuum cleaner. But, they did do what Bob Worzalla said they would: made the bass noticeably deeper and tighter and the sound more focused overall. And, no scratches or dings on the bottoms of my speakers, though there are scuff marks on the Sound Anchors.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #65,124 of 152,846
Tweaks are tweaks. Solutions in search of a problem. If they make a difference to you then they make a difference to you. And that's fine.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #65,126 of 152,846
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #65,127 of 152,846
While at our local grocery, I noticed they had this:
Andygator.jpg
One of the latest I've tried from Abita. However, I'd had that recently, so I opted for something I haven't seen in a while. I've liked most things from New Belgium Brewery, so I brought this home:
Trippel.jpg
Crisp and clean and hoppy without crossing over into IPA territory. I don't understand the fascination with IPA... The New Belgium Trippel made a good accompaniment to Schiit:
Schiit.jpg
And my latest from ECM: https://ecmrecords.com/shop/1576244364/big-vicious-avishai-cohen-big-vicious I like this from Avishai Cohen quite a lot. I wanted to like this https://ecmrecords.com/shop/1580804906 as well, but do not. This was a minor buying spree of ECM releases brought on by all the talk about the MA Recordings samplers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back