Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #63,301 of 150,974
Proof that anyone can call themselves a reviewer these days.

The reviewer isn’t even 15 years old yet. I’m going to give him a couple of more years to see how his style progresses.

From the Analog Planet website,
Malachi Lui is an AnalogPlanet contributing editor, music lover, record collector, and highly opinionated sneaker enthusiast. When he registers to vote in 3.5 years, he certainly won’t join the Birthday Party. Follow him on Twitter: @MalachiLui.)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #63,302 of 150,974
My son and I were at a school gathering last year. For no particular reason I noticed the parking lot: two dozen or so cars, only two of which were not black, silver or white. Somewhat ironically, I drive a black car (the first black car I've owned). My next WILL be red.
A number of years ago i had some business in Dallas and flew into Dfw and was picked up by a colleague. Driving into town we passed dealership row, and i recall thinking: “This is like watching B&W TV!” And then came the VW dealer -like a NEON BUBBLEGUM MACHINE in the middle of the gray nothingness. I still chuckle when I remember that...

I pilot a black on black Audi S5. Sigh...

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #63,303 of 150,974
The reviewer isn’t even 15 years old yet. I’m going to give him a couple of more years to see how his style progresses.

From the Analog Planet website,
Malachi Lui is an AnalogPlanet contributing editor, music lover, record collector, and highly opinionated sneaker enthusiast. When he registers to vote in 3.5 years, he certainly won’t join the Birthday Party. Follow him on Twitter: @MalachiLui.)

Well see now I feel like an ass.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #63,304 of 150,974
Well see now I feel like an ass.

Don't beat yourself up! Life's too short!

I didn't particularly like the review myself, but I would like to see Malachi continue to grow and improve. His enthusiasm is admirable, and to see that in someone so young makes me feel enthusiastic also.

Check out some of the videos that M Fremer & M Lui have done together on Fremer's site if you get a chance. A couple of well intentioned goofballs.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #63,305 of 150,974
Don't beat yourself up! Life's too short!

I didn't particularly like the review myself, but I would like to see Malachi continue to grow and improve. His enthusiasm is admirable, and to see that in someone so young makes me feel enthusiastic also.

Check out some of the videos that M Fremer & M Lui have done together on Fremer's site if you get a chance. A couple of well intentioned goofballs.

Yeah my tone could have been different when directed towards a kid. While reading the review earlier, I was disappointed to not see a comments section. Hope the kid hangs out here. Liking or disliking something is fine, I just want to be able to relate better to what the opinions are and why.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #63,308 of 150,974
Scotch induced ramble ahead.....

How many of us sit back and close our eyes when we listen, or listen in a dark room?

I should have been asleep hours ago, as I have to be up super early to drive 225 miles to a funeral. Unfortunately im a night owl, and I've got a case of insomnia. I figured scotch would help.....

For the last hour and half I've been down in the basement sipping Scotch and enjoying Alison Krauss and Steely Dan.

Listening with my eyes closed, I've drifted in and out of coherent thought. I am super relaxed, hoping that counts for something on tomorrow's drive.

Close your eyes, relax, and "see" with your ears... It's quite awesome to hear the placement, depth, texture, inflection, and vibrato of music this way. This kind of stuff usually puts me asleep.....

I can only assume my grandmother is here with me, enjoying the evening. My mom has always said I inherited the night owl gene from grandma gladys. In my estimation, a nursing home is a terrible place. I hope that whatever comes after is better and allows for more freedom.

Please, Let's not focus on the unfortunate parts of life..... Close your eyes, listen and enjoy the moment..wherever & whenever the mood strikes you.

@Rensek glad you got to the funeral and back safely (lotta miles to drive). my condolences.

on another note, I was thinking if Alison Krauss and Steely Dan did any sort of combined work. there is an Alison Krauss & Robert Plant collaboration, Raising Sand or something like that. now where is that Donald Fagan Nightfly cd ? :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #63,309 of 150,974
I understand your point.
Luckily in in The Netherlands we always can use the distributors service man (in Wateringen) for repairs, regardless where it was bought.
Sorry but by experience I can tell you they claim they don't get spare parts in to do repairs.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #63,310 of 150,974
I just read an old interview with him (in Dutch) where he complains about how bad he always was at Math when at school.

Part of his problem was, he explained, that he just could never understand why he should provide proof for everything that was just plain obvious.

Later in life he could converse easier with scientists then with artists.

Link in Dutch: https://www.vn.nl/bibeb-escher/

Very, very interesting. Thank you so much!

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #63,311 of 150,974
Well, saying The Netherlands is the most car-averse country on the planet would be an understatement...

Been living in Limburg for a couple of years and every time I feel the itch of changing mine I land on the NL website of a manufacturer, compare the price of the same car in another country, close both tabs in my browser and start crying :sweat_smile:
(and this is only the buying part, I'll ignore insurance, road tax and maintanance...)

...aaah, guess I'll allocate more money to the music budget, for now!

And you have to increase your mortgage before you can afford to park in the center of Amsterdam for a few hours.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #63,312 of 150,974
I understand your point.
Luckily in in The Netherlands we always can use the distributors service man (in Wateringen) for repairs, regardless where it was bought.

So, if I ever move on from my Jotunheim I can send it to my son in Netherlands and he can have it serviced if needed. Good to know. Even better, he lives in The Hague so he can drop it off in Wateringen.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #63,313 of 150,974
Well, saying The Netherlands is the most car-averse country on the planet would be an understatement...

Been living in Limburg for a couple of years and every time I feel the itch of changing mine I land on the NL website of a manufacturer, compare the price of the same car in another country, close both tabs in my browser and start crying :sweat_smile:
(and this is only the buying part, I'll ignore insurance, road tax and maintanance...)

Same thing in Finland, but unless you happen to live in the five or so bigger cities that have a functional public transportation system, you need to have a car.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #63,314 of 150,974
Same thing in Finland, but unless you happen to live in the five or so bigger cities that have a functional public transportation system, you need to have a car.

That'interesting, you'd think public transportation would be pretty great, after all the taxes you pay...

In the NL, just to complete the rant I started a few pages ago, trains work pretty well. Thing is, like anything else, they cost an arm and a leg, so basically if you want to drive that's very expensive and if you decide to commute by train that's also pricey
At this point, I'm thinking either the government wants me to be oh so nature friendly and commute by bike or don't and throw money at them. Uhm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back