Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #63,287 of 150,997
What is a ROIOs?

ROIOs = Bootlegs!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_recording
"The alternate term ROIO (an acronym meaning "Recording of Indeterminate / Independent Origin) or VOI (Video....) arose among Pink Floyd collectors, to clarify the recording source and copyright status was hard to determine."

My experience with bootleg live recordings began with the "unofficial" LPs in plain white sleeves in the back of record stores in the 70s. They were expensive, incomplete, and sometimes barely listenable, but my friends and I had a few by Led Zeppelin, Zappa, King Crimson, and Yes. It was the only way to hear live recordings of our favorite bands beyond the limited official releases (which we already owned). Fast forward to the digital age and torrent sites, and I've been able to download thousands of hours of live music, none of which violates copyrights, because sites like dimeadozen.org prohibit sharing officially released material. A significant portion of my music listening includes "bootlegs", which range from professionally recorded highest quality captures, to fan-created recordings that, to be generous, could benefit from some EQ. This is why I have a Loki.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #63,288 of 150,997
Balanced was designed for professional use, where there’s a lot of wild electrical signals and power cables flying around, and signal runs can easily be hundreds of feet long. By design it’s inherently noise cancelling. There’s usually no need for it in domestic setups, except possibly from a preamp/receiver to a subwoofer. Due to its nature it also puts out a hotter signal than single-ended (sounds louder at a given spot on the volume sweep).

Audiophiles are ranked by their degree of audio nervosa, and at certain point on the scale become convinced balanced must be better, because. Whether or not it’s true, especially when you’re dealing with cable runs of under 3 feet?

If you have reached that point, by all means pursue it. Usually everything becomes much more expensive because everything must be doubled up to be truly balanced.

Or enjoy the excellent gear you have and spend the money on more music.
or because of practical reason, i started with something that had only xlr analog out but also have rca in on my power amps. Tried several solutions until Freya S

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #63,289 of 150,997
lol
my little beast (don't laugh, it's cool and kinda rare, sport mode the electric motor is instant on torque and really abrupt/surprising, steering tightens / suspension lowers) love the feel of it, it's one piece tight and simple

crz.jpg
(CRZ)
I've always liked the looks of those, but I'm RWD(or AWD) for life...

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #63,290 of 150,997
I would consider a power bar with remote control. The simplest use a dedicated IR remote (needs line of sight or repeater), mid-priced work with Alexa/Google if you have smart home gear, most expensive work with Apple’s Siri. I used to have one that would power on/off sockets 2-8 when it sensed/lost draw on socket 1, so everything would turn on/off when you turned one component on/off, but I haven’t seen anything like that lately.
I use these in Oz.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-remote-controlled-power-outlet-4-pack_p0095171

I'm sure that they're available in one form or another in other geographies!

I have one button for the Vidar and Sub, and another for the Modi and Jotunheim. Couple of spares in the cupboard for future use :)

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #63,291 of 150,997
We both got tired of boring colors. Rina has a bright teal Wrangler, I have a bright blue Corvette. There you go.

And yeah, this car is super weird--put it in Tour, and it's as quiet as a Lexus (and rides like one). Track is near Viper in terms of feeling everything, steering response, etc. The old days of changing modes and wondering if there's anything changing are gone. Literally everything changes--steering effort, suspension firmness, exhaust noise (!). It's a very nice long-distance car, much better than I was expecting.
Thats a great color choice. Also great way to get to know your new ride.

Manual or auto?

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #63,292 of 150,997
Magnius using balanced inputs (xlr) and SE headphone connection may also still have some noise reduction benefit (but not max power that the balanced headphone jack will provide)
Yup. I've got a balanced cable for my HD650s on the way from China. I probably don't NEED the extra power, but figure I'll see what it's like.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #63,297 of 150,997

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. This review tells me nothing.... No mention of amp, or headphones/iems/speakers, or cables, or source, or streaming service...

It has zero impact to me because it tells me nothing about the gear they use, which would give me an indication as to what type of sound profile the reviewer likes. Hell they don't even comment on balanced vs SE output.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #63,299 of 150,997
Welcome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back