Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #62,701 of 149,367
Transport must be the favorite bet eh?

I keep hoping we'll see Mjolnir reborn as a nexus & continuity based SS HP amp, with some low power speaker taps! Utilizing some of that new tech Jason came across while making Jot R.
I think a reborn Mjolnir.... The CD spinner will take another more months.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #62,702 of 149,367
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #62,705 of 149,367
Please let it be the Mjolnir 3.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #62,708 of 149,367
Hmmm, speaking of transports, I was going through some boxes from my move (almost 5 years ago) and found my first DVD player that I bought in 1997, a Pioneer DV-414 that has both Coax and optical out, I may have to hook it up to my Bifrost MB and see how it does...

hopefully the remote is there, and you removed the batteries before boxing it up. :rolling_eyes:

I found an extra Samsung blu-ray player a few weeks back that was boxed up years ago, but it has only HDMI / 3x RCA Component Analog Video, toslink out, BUT NO COAXIAL S/PDIF :scream: Same for the Panasonic blu-ray that I was planning to swap out for on the main tv. :slight_frown::slight_frown:

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #62,709 of 149,367
There are good reasons to keep cats indoors, but as with so many things today, people have been driven to taking an unnecessarily extreme stance.
https://theconversation.com/dont-bl...-shaky-logic-is-leading-to-moral-panic-138710
Agreed. Here's our solution which she loves and gives us piece of mind from our our "friendly" neighborhood catcher.
IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #62,710 of 149,367
I know there’s a way to access files in a local library with Volumio/RPi because John Darko has talked several times about doing so. Probably using Roon. But if you don’t want to pay for & buy into the whole Roon ecosystem, i think there are other ways to do it. Maybe squeezelite or some other squeezebox plugin?

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #62,713 of 149,367
hopefully the remote is there, and you removed the batteries before boxing it up. :rolling_eyes:

I found an extra Samsung blu-ray player a few weeks back that was boxed up years ago, but it has only HDMI / 3x RCA Component Analog Video, toslink out, BUT NO COAXIAL S/PDIF :scream: Same for the Panasonic blu-ray that I was planning to swap out for on the main tv. :slight_frown::slight_frown:
Have the remote, batteries were still in it, they are Duracell's stamped March 2012, and they still work with no leakage...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #62,715 of 149,367
I know there’s a way to access files in a local library with Volumio/RPi because John Darko has talked several times about doing so. Probably using Roon. But if you don’t want to pay for & buy into the whole Roon ecosystem, i think there are other ways to do it. Maybe squeezelite or some other squeezebox plugin?
I've not used Volumio in years, too slow and buggy for my taste, so I can't comment on how to set it up. Before COVID-19 made me WFH, my work setup was a Pi with a PiTouch screen and a Pi2AES shield to drive a DAC and amp, running moOde with music stored on a Samsung USB SSD. I'm pretty sure moOde would also be able to access any UPnP/DLNA server in the local network. Another alternative, even lighter weight but requiring more configuration, is piCorePlayer, which is a Squeezelite clone. It's possible to make the same Pi serve as a Squeezebox server with a local disk, but it's a bit clunky and buggy, so it's best to have the server running separately. Anyway, I'd recommend starting with moOde, which in my experience is gives the best reliability-performance tradeoff of all the Pi music players I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back