Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #62,506 of 149,438
What Jason said in the FAQ:

Why isn't there an option for 230V countries?

Sol uses an AC motor, so it's designed for 60Hz AC, like we use in the USA. Unfortunately, nearly every country with 220-240VAC runs 50Hz AC, so the motor would run too slow. We'll be looking into adding a speed controller in the future as an option if Sol does well.

Some power converters claim to convert 50-60hz in addition to voltage. This would likely be unsupported.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #62,507 of 149,438
What Jason said in the FAQ:

Why isn't there an option for 230V countries?

Sol uses an AC motor, so it's designed for 60Hz AC, like we use in the USA. Unfortunately, nearly every country with 220-240VAC runs 50Hz AC, so the motor would run too slow. We'll be looking into adding a speed controller in the future as an option if Sol does well.

I'd think just a slightly bigger pulley would take care of this. There's a set screw holding the pulley to the motor, so it's easy to remove. You can 3D print one the right size and be done with it, though an aluminum (?) one would obviously be preferable.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #62,508 of 149,438
Some power converters claim to convert 50-60hz in addition to voltage. This would likely be unsupported.

No they don't. They convert the voltage at either 50 Hz or 60 Hz. The frequency itself is not changed.

JC

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #62,509 of 149,438
In order to change 50Hz to 60Hz normally requires using an inverter (or a rotating synchronous motor-generator set.) Some UPS devices can do it by converting the incoming power to DC then outputting 60Hz through an inverter.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #62,510 of 149,438
I sold my Ayre QB-9 after I bought Gungnir MB. To me it sounded better. YMMV. :)

I also sold my Wavelength Crimson after I got Yggdrasil...

I just got my Ayre QB-9 back from upgrade. While my memory puts the Ayre significantly better sounding before the upgrade Than the Gungnir... I did not have them at the same time so I really can’t draw a firm conclusion. However, out of the box the Ayre‘s performance is spectacular, without breakin. These two units are in different performance categories, just like they are in different price categories. The Ayre has significantly more air, image separation, overall level of detail, the entire audio spectrum feels expanded so voices are richer, more detailed, natural, with a very significantly quieter background so the music disappears into a beautiful natural quiet silence... the kind of experience I have when at the symphony when the music gently trails off Into dead silence. I have a lot of respect and praise for the Gungnir MB... it is a great bargain and sounds great.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #62,511 of 149,438
I just got my Ayre QB-9 back from upgrade. While my memory puts the Ayre significantly better sounding before the upgrade Than the Gungnir... I did not have them at the same time so I really can’t draw a firm conclusion. However, out of the box the Ayre‘s performance is spectacular, without breakin. These two units are in different performance categories, just like they are in different price categories. The Ayre has significantly more air, image separation, overall level of detail, the entire audio spectrum feels expanded so voices are richer, more detailed, natural, with a very significantly quieter background so the music disappears into a beautiful natural quiet silence... the kind of experience I have when at the symphony when the music gently trails off Into dead silence. I have a lot of respect and praise for the Gungnir MB... it is a great bargain and sounds great.
I'm glad you are happy. My opinion was different. As I always say, all audio is subjective, and to each his own!

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #62,512 of 149,438
I'm glad you are happy. My opinion was different. As I always say, all audio is subjective, and to each his own!
Very true.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #62,513 of 149,438
I'd be curious to hear how your SagaHeim project comes along. Will it alter the Jotunheim sound into like a Lyr3 or Mjolnir 2 or come close in some regards perhaps? Or will the SagaHeim make the Jot's soundstage more 3 dimensional with the tube in place from Saga as tube buffer/preamp? Please let me know, thanks.

Saga buffer stage is a simple cathode follower, so not nearly as colorful as a real gain stage.

Whether the impact is even noticable depends somewhat on the headphones used. I find it's also source dependent.

In casual testing, I find my planars (Sundara, Ananda, LCD-3f) the least sensitive to minor changes in the chain.

I spend much of my time with Senns, and all of them are far more revealing, and I quickly develop preferences.

Buffered Saga does improve headstage with both Asgard2 & Jotunheim, especially with OG Gungnir Multibit. Bifrost 4490 sees little to no benefit.

Being able to switch quickly between Gumby and Bifrost has been very entertaining. I like both, but the Velvet Sound 4490 is clearly tuned to the vinyl channel. :)

HD660S, HD700, HD650 sound better, to me, from Asgard2. The planars and HD800S, HD800/SDR sound fine from Jot.

I cabled up Valhalla2 briefly, and really like it with the 300 ohm Senns, especially HD800/SDR, but the buffer doesn't do much.

Mjolnir2 remains the most refined sounding in my stable, and Lyr3 the most dynamic, both cabled direct from Gungnir, and both reflect a tube roll better than Saga can, but only the upper tier cans really take good advantage.

Schiit Legos. Even olde Schiit is such good Schiit. I mean, a transparent tube pre and remote relay stepped attenuator for $200?! A pure Class-A FET headamp for $150?! Dang.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #62,515 of 149,438
With VFD and transformer everything will work fine.

You mean one of these?

Trasfor_AFAF_IP55_highres.jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #62,516 of 149,438
You mean one of these?

Trasfor_AFAF_IP55_highres.jpg

I was thinking recently that the only way to get the cleanest possible power would be to run one’s own grid. Heavy gauge OCC silver throughout. All this other stuff, with the fancy power cords and conditioners, can only do so much with the consumer grade electricity coming out of my walls.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #62,517 of 149,438
I was thinking recently that the only way to get the cleanest possible power would be to run one’s own grid. Heavy gauge OCC silver throughout. All this other stuff, with the fancy power cords and conditioners, can only do so much with the consumer grade electricity coming out of my walls.
Just do what I do... battery packs not shown.
FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #62,519 of 149,438
Just do what I do... battery packs not shown.

I've always wondered.... just how clean is the AC coming out of your inverter(s)? I've got to imagine that it's pristine.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #62,520 of 149,438
I've always wondered.... just how clean is the AC coming out of your inverter(s)? I've got to imagine that it's pristine.
I haven't scoped it, but yes it is straight off the inverters (Enphase IQ7's) and the voltage doesn't vary like it does off the grid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back