Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #62,521 of 145,696
What’s your config?
It's my system, not leased. 14.5Kw with Enphase microinverters, Enphase IQ Envoy and 8Kw LG battery pack. I am tied to the grid but my generation exceeds usage on all but the most cloudy days. I am net positive each year. I installed the array in 2015 and the batteries last year.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #62,522 of 145,696
I would actually like a Schiit-optomized Pi-box that has a touchpad sticking off its side... I agree with you, @bosiemoncrieff, iOS is ugly
iOS is ugly? Pi is on another level of ugly.

The only possibility I see for Schiit is a HAT card, perhaps a Unison transmitter. Making, selling and supporting Pi boxes is not a good business for Schiit to get into.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #62,523 of 145,696
Saga buffer stage is a simple cathode follower, so not nearly as colorful as a real gain stage.

Whether the impact is even noticable depends somewhat on the headphones used. I find it's also source dependent.

In casual testing, I find my planars (Sundara, Ananda, LCD-3f) the least sensitive to minor changes in the chain.

I spend much of my time with Senns, and all of them are far more revealing, and I quickly develop preferences.

Buffered Saga does improve headstage with both Asgard2 & Jotunheim, especially with OG Gungnir Multibit. Bifrost 4490 sees little to no benefit.

Being able to switch quickly between Gumby and Bifrost has been very entertaining. I like both, but the Velvet Sound 4490 is clearly tuned to the vinyl channel. :)

HD660S, HD700, HD650 sound better, to me, from Asgard2. The planars and HD800S, HD800/SDR sound fine from Jot.

I cabled up Valhalla2 briefly, and really like it with the 300 ohm Senns, especially HD800/SDR, but the buffer doesn't do much.

Mjolnir2 remains the most refined sounding in my stable, and Lyr3 the most dynamic, both cabled direct from Gungnir, and both reflect a tube roll better than Saga can, but only the upper tier cans really take good advantage.

Schiit Legos. Even olde Schiit is such good Schiit. I mean, a transparent tube pre and remote relay stepped attenuator for $200?! A pure Class-A FET headamp for $150?! Dang.
Cool thanks, great needed info.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #62,524 of 145,696
It's my system, not leased. 14.5Kw with Enphase microinverters, Enphase IQ Envoy and 8Kw LG battery pack. I am tied to the grid but my generation exceeds usage on all but the most cloudy days. I am net positive each year. I installed the array in 2015 and the batteries last year.
I'm in the early phase of researching solar for my house near DFW. We're at a similar latitude but you prob get more days of sun per year. Even so, I think I'll end up with solar at some point, even if it's strictly grid-tied. Happy to hear it's working out for you.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #62,525 of 145,696
I'm in the early phase of researching solar for my house near DFW. We're at a similar latitude but you prob get more days of sun per year. Even so, I think I'll end up with solar at some point, even if it's strictly grid-tied. Happy to hear it's working out for you.
I highly recommend it even if it's not a whole-house sized system. Any solar yu can add will reduce your electricity bill.

My total investment was around $45K and dropped my all-electric house utility bill from about $225 per month average to an average monthly credit of $25. At the end of each year the local utility asks if I'd like a check or to let the credit roll forward. I made this investment not to save the planet or any such thing but to try to keep my necessary bills low in retirement. No electricity bill is a big plus in my book.

-edit- Pluis here in Maricopa County to install solar your address gets permitted as a generating station. This means if I really wanted to go crazy I could install a bunch more than I need and the utility is forced to buy the power back from me. Not that I will do that but I have been eyeballing a small wind turbine that would look good in my backyard...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #62,526 of 145,696
I highly recommend it even if it's not a whole-house sized system. Any solar you can add will reduce your electricity bill.

My total investment was around $45K and dropped my all-electric house utility bill from about $225 per month average to an average monthly credit of $25. At the end of each year the local utility asks if I'd like a check or to let the credit roll forward. I made this investment not to save the planet or any such thing but to try to keep my necessary bills low in retirement. No electricity bill is a big plus in my book.

I'm mainly looking to reduce my bills, too. I live in a 3600 square foot, poorly constructed McMansion (long story) where my electric bill in the summer approaches $500/mo. The ROI is pretty easy to figure out and I wish I'd installed solar the first year that I bought the house.

...but I have been eyeballing a small wind turbine that would look good in my backyard...
Must be nice not to have a HOA. :) A friend of mine lives an hour north of me on 600 acres and it's ALWAYS windy at his place and I haven't been able to convince him to add a few windmills. Between sun/wind he could be selling more than a few dollars back to his electric utility every month.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #62,527 of 145,696
The wind turbine I'm looking at is a vertical model like this:
rBVaSlu__5GAHp_1AAI1UHOH-xA951.jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #62,528 of 145,696
@Jason Stoddard

Any plans to replace the micro USB connector on the Modius with something more robust and modern like a USB connector?
Might help future-proof the product and remove reliability problems.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #62,529 of 145,696
I was thinking recently that the only way to get the cleanest possible power would be to run one’s own grid. Heavy gauge OCC silver throughout. All this other stuff, with the fancy power cords and conditioners, can only do so much with the consumer grade electricity coming out of my walls.
That's why you need a power regenerator.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #62,531 of 145,696
As long as your expenses don't kill my part of your heritage when you drop dead I must applaud al green energy.
Can I get you something my dear master?
The usual will be fine. :wink:

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #62,532 of 145,696
The usual will be fine. :wink:
Good, I only have to wash them, some lubrication end send them to your wife for inspection.
You'll see it coming. They're somewhat heavier than last time so the wont break when thrown against the converter.
But you will be very happy. Very, very happy.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #62,533 of 145,696
That's why you need a power regenerator.

I think I prefer Ableza’s idea of just using solar panels to make new electricity. That way, I’d know my audio equipment didn't have any of those crap electrons they sell to any slack-jawed yokel with an account at the Department of Water and Power.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #62,534 of 145,696
@Jason Stoddard

Any plans to replace the micro USB connector on the Modius with something more robust and modern like a USB connector?
Might help future-proof the product and remove reliability problems.

I've seen this complaint a number of times, but I don't get it. Sure Micro USB may be less reliable than USB C, but with something like Modius you plug in the signal cable once and maybe the power cable once. I doubt USB Micro tends to fail if it's not unplugged and replugged over and over. The USB standard supported by USB Micro supports plenty of bandwidth for what Modius can handle. And finally USB Micro cables will be available far into the future in the unlikely case you need to replace it. You can still get PS/2 cables, you'll be able to get USB Micro cables in 20 years.

Schiit was building to a price and USB C is considerably more expensive than USB Micro.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #62,535 of 145,696
That way, I’d know my audio equipment didn't have any of those crap electrons they sell to any slack-jawed yokel with an account at the Department of Water and Power.

As a slack-yawed yokel with an account at the Department of Water and Power, I'm offended by your comment.
(Just trying to fit in, seeing as how everyone is offended by everything these days.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back