Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #62,266 of 150,465
Hey guys, calm it down on the placeist rhetoric, or I will have to nuke a whole bunch of posts.

Here's the deal:

1. There are stupid people everywhere.
2. If we don't live in a place, we don't understand the place.
3. There's lots of right and wrong, and most of the time when we think we're most right, we're most wrong.

So, relax. Talk about cats or barbecue or something.
I appreciate your no-nonsense thoughtfulness. This isn't the first time after reading a Jason post that I thought, "You know, I would vote for a Stoddard 2020 presidency." Too late to run?

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #62,267 of 150,465
To expand on "everyone does stupid things," look up a few things:

1. Operation Plowshare (part of which was widening the Panama Canal with nuclear weapons.) Extra credit: Orion Project.
2. Borisov Project (dam from Sibera to Alaska to change the climate.) Extra credit: Lysenko.
3. China's emperor(s) who buried the smartest people with them. Extra credit: the fact they had mass production 2500 years ago
4. The entire history of Europe's empire follies. Extra credit: the Crusades.

So again, if you're.a placeist, any place that hasn't done or proposed stupid things can talk. Everyone else shut up.

Edit: do I sound irritated? Yes, I am. I am tired of the passive-aggressive sniping/Karening/idiocy. Find the good. Get along. Clear?

Did they name the Test after you?

StoddardSeptember 17, 1968
A device-development experiment to develop clean nuclear explosives for excavation applications.

maybe an experiment in low frequency designs?

rumors have it that the first emperor of china ( Qin ) is buried underground on a river of mercury. i guess that is one way to avoid tomb robbbers.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #62,269 of 150,465
Love a good Reuben Sandwich. Even started smoking my own pastrami now that I have a Kamado Joe BBQ.
Pastrami.JPG

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #62,270 of 150,465
...if we are ever visited by representatives of a Galactic Confederation, we'll all (as in, all countries) be branded as an extreme tourist destination, with the warning of, "and these guys eat anything, and I mean, like, anything anything...so, hmm, yeah, you've been warned."
which reminds me of a quote from another SciFi epic: To serve man...

(I apologise for the following in advance.) And now we’re back to BBQ. Meow.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #62,271 of 150,465
Someone enlighten me please - from what I can tell planar drivers don't have surrounds like a dynamic driver. So are they just stretching the material (plastic?) as they move?

I think the drivers are made with a tiny bit of slack. at some volume level, as the driver movement increases, the material stretches a little bit (along with the metal traces deposited on the substrate!!!).

some of mr speakers (now DanClarkAudio) planars (the ether 2 and maybe the new Aeon 2 series) have v-plannar design, a series of accordion like folds that are supposed to help make the motion more pistonic across the membrane, and perhaps act like a surround of sorts at the perimeter.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #62,272 of 150,465
However, I can find good and bad in pretty much any place I have been
Amen. Lived my first 25 years in Portugal, next 5 in Scotland, then USA (CA x 2, NJ, PA) and 1 year in England. Pre-COVID-19, I spent a lot of time for work and fun in Switzerland, Canada, Norway, Argentina, Chile. I've found wonderful people, horrible people, indifferent people, every single place. Good government, and bad government, pretty much everywhere (except Norway 🇳🇴 where everything seems to run well and fairly). I made wonderful friends. I tried to avoid awful jerks. I love the USA and became a citizen, fully aware of its flaws and horrors. It's not as if where I came has so much to brag about (read up on the history of Portuguese colonialism and fascism) even though my friends and family over there pretend otherwise.

Do good work as Schiit demonstrates to us everyday, try to be nice, even the *$%$! who cut you off on 101 or got too close unmasked in the store, fight prejudice, give to the needy to the best of your resources. Life is short, viruses kill, your kids (and grandkids) grow too fast and meet their own struggles.

Music heals, and we all know how much we need that these days.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #62,274 of 150,465
Someone enlighten me please - from what I can tell planar drivers don't have surrounds like a dynamic driver. So are they just stretching the material (plastic?) as they move?

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker11.htm

Basically a tensioned Mylar panel is suspended between electrostatic panels. There is no piston as per a normal speaker. Changing electrostatic charges pull and push the Mylar panel back and forth, creating sound. There are variations, but that's pretty much it.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #62,276 of 150,465
@corndog71 Coooool!.... haven't seen a MiniDisc player since mine got stolen sometime around '96-'97. You've got to be one of the last users of the format. Keep it going!

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #62,279 of 150,465
Don't you think you should replace your broken keyboard first? :wink:

OK -- Nice setup!! Love the plants, too!!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #62,280 of 150,465

Users who are viewing this thread

Back