Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #62,281 of 150,532
Now the question is what headphone setup should go with my new (way overdue) proper work from home setup.

No more CAD on a MacBook Pro in Parallels!

what headphones, and what is the current DAC / amp ?

40 - 50" 4K monitor is the way to go, (but make sure it can run 4:4:4 at full 4K resolution, many TV's can't)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #62,282 of 150,532
what headphones, and what is the current DAC / amp ?

40 - 50" 4K monitor is the way to go, (but make sure it can run 4:4:4 at full 4K resolution, many TV's can't)

Probably my old Ethers are the go to for this.

I could pull out a Gungnir/Mjonir stack from my room rack but I may be lazy and use the Chord Mojo I have laying around.
It’s dual 32” 4K dell Ultrasharps, I prefer dual monitors for real work. They definitely do 4:4:4.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #62,283 of 150,532
@Jason Stoddard

for silver Schiit in the older style U-chassis (e.g. Asgard 2, Bifrost OG), is there a list of cleaners to use (and what to avoid) to brighten / shine up these older units?

If you don't want to disassemble it try rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush or magic eraser.

If you aren't scared to disassemble it, dawn dish soap and a scotch pad works very well. Just make sure it's dry before reassembling. Then wipe with alcohol again.

Also wiping your gear down with scotch makes it sound better.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #62,284 of 150,532
Someone enlighten me please - from what I can tell planar drivers don't have surrounds like a dynamic driver. So are they just stretching the material (plastic?) as they move?
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: The Mylar only stretches at the edges as the diaphragm remains flat over the main part of the surface. It can't move any other way because it is forced between two very strong fields. This gives it a almost perfect piston like working which is a very good way of producing sound waves. Hence, if carfully designed and well constructed, very low distortion on planars (speakers and headphones). Preferably electrostatics not electromagnetics because of the much lower moving mass on electrostatics.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #62,286 of 150,532
I never use a meme although I'm not swayed by Jasons arguments.
The subject matter is much much to complicated for simple judgement and does not belong (as I clearly stated) here.

I do however have Constanza who a few days ago decided to add herself to a part of my art collection.
ConArt at it's finest.
Now I'll wait till she drops everything from the table and declares herself the only piece of art that matters.

ConArt.jpg

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #62,287 of 150,532
OK, folks. Remember -- the more time Jason spends policing and nuking posts, the less time he is engineering and certifying new products for release!! :worried:

This is why we don't have our Schiit Transports yet! :smirk_cat:

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #62,288 of 150,532
If you don't want to disassemble it try rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush or magic eraser.

If you aren't scared to disassemble it, dawn dish soap and a scotch pad works very well. Just make sure it's dry before reassembling. Then wipe with alcohol again.

Also wiping your gear down with scotch makes it sound better.
Just remember to go with the grain!

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #62,289 of 150,532

rumors have it that the first emperor of china ( Qin ) is buried underground on a river of mercury. i guess that is one way to avoid tomb robbbers.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but back then mercury was widely thought to be the key to immortality and thus would have been an attractive target for tomb raiders. Wonder how many Chinese alchemists poisoned themselves in their quest for eternal life. Ah, irony...

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #62,290 of 150,532
for silver Schiit in the older style U-chassis (e.g. Asgard 2, Bifrost OG), is there a list of cleaners to use (and what to avoid) to brighten / shine up these older units?

I have cleaned a lot of vintage silver faced (aluminum) stereo.
For alcohol I only recommend 50-70% isopropyl. Rubbing alcohol has other stuff in it.
Use only a very soft cloth as the finish is soft and scratches easily. Go with the grain.
Washing with Dawn or = works well if water is not an issue.
I only clean if the unit is actually dirty. Not sure "brighten / shine up" is a thing.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #62,291 of 150,532
My Modius works well. Even for an old minidisc player using optical.

2020 Stereo

Nice MD deck! I remember wanting that one back in the day. I ended up with one of the full width Sony decks, which I sold a few years ago. But I still have my portable MDs. Actually got it out earlier this week to record some tracks from a podcast.

265FC07C-2749-4F46-87E6-C9B8718987BB.jpeg

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #62,292 of 150,532
I have cleaned a lot of vintage silver faced (aluminum) stereo.
For alcohol I only recommend 50-70% isopropyl. Rubbing alcohol has other stuff in it.
Use only a very soft cloth as the finish is soft and scratches easily. Go with the grain.
Washing with Dawn or = works well if water is not an issue.
I only clean if the unit is actually dirty. Not sure "brighten / shine up" is a thing.

I didn't realize rubbing alcohol was different then isopropyl alcohol. Thought it was the common name. I'll differentiate going forward.

I bought a used Bifrost from goodwill last fall. It was very dirty, dingy, stained. It cleaned up quite nicely with what I mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back