Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #60,331 of 152,131
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #60,332 of 152,131
But it really doesnt get obsoleted the next day...it still works as well as it does....obsoleted is a strong word...kind of tells me my older gear is well el crapo and its not...but I do understand your meaning....and thats fine. It only would be obsoleted if it didnt handle a new format etc...Schiit doesnt do MQA or DSD and other stuff and it doesnt make it obsolete.

When I bought a B1 and then the B2 comes out, well like many I had buyers remorse for a short time and then really understood why Schiit did what it did and then they offerred the $100 discount to B1 owners....great and I sold the B1 and bought a B2...and I still think the b1 is not obsolete in anyway.

I dont know about the silent revision in the Jot...sbaf or not....my Jot works well, very well. Its just a rumor until I see the evidence...lol
Maybe I should have said “obsoleted” :wink:
You guys must remember the whole series of Schiit “obsolete” ads? That was awesome.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #60,334 of 152,131
Eh? As the previous poster states, all it needs to do is convert the incoming file format to the default output format (a USB stream). That can be done in software and doesn’t need a DAC.

Picture this: you plug in the USB hard drive the OP asked for. It’s a small one - only 2 TB. Its not full, only 25,000 tracks. Now what? How do you navigate 25,000 tracks? You need a GUI of some kind. So you now need a screen to display what you’re doing. You need an OS to handle that. You need a QWERTY keyboard to search for your favorite tracks. You need RAM to save your playlists. Oh, you want to do all that on your phone? You need Bluetooth. Or WiFi. Or Ethernet. Hell, it’s a full on computer. Whaaaaat? Computers don’t ship with CD drives any more.

No.

Just no.

A CD transport plays CDs.

Full Stop.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #60,335 of 152,131
It blows me away how little the source matters in relation to the transducers (in terms of what you actually hear). I got some Audeze LCD-X a few months ago and was running them off a Fulla 2. I thought they might sound better being run off a more powerful amp, so I picked up a Drop THX amp (you know the one). And I can barely, BARELY, hear a difference between the Fulla 2 and the THX on $1000+ headphones (both being fed by the Fulla's DAC). I wrote a whole review about this thing over on Drop, and my conclusion was to absolutely, postively, 100% get your headphones sorted before you look at an amp above the Magni level in terms of price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my purchase for other reasons, but what I hear isn't one of them.

It's quite quizzical why people believe more power sounds better. If that were the case, those "flea watt" amps that easily drive very efficient speakers would sound like crap. It's the parts in the amp that make the difference. It's one of those things that got it's start somewhere and has grown into "fact". Like "you get what you pay for" and "the customer is always right." Neither of which is true.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #60,337 of 152,131
Of course, all this does not preclude the possibility of a lower priced amp combining the best of both worlds - using the balanced interconnects between the DAC and the amp to avoid RFI and EMI, and single ended output to minimize internal amp noise and let us use the headphone cables we already own. $299? Sign me up!

Unless you live in a broadcast tower, the amount of RFI and EMI between a stacked DAC and preamp right on top of each other, connected by a PYST-length cable, is effectively non-existent. There may be reasons to go balanced (Jason went on record as being fine with SE), but RFI and EFI are not, at least in a Schiit stack.

Personally I’m a big believer in XLR connections between, say, a microphone 🎤 or guitar 🎸 on stage and a mixing board 50m away.

I’ve never seen a need for balanced with home stereo, unless things are set up very weird.

For 3.7i maybe, 30.7... that's more than my last car cost. Also, honestly, I don't have the room for something that big

The Yggdrasil costs more than my last car... and I would totally make room for it :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #60,338 of 152,131
Picture this: you plug in the USB hard drive the OP asked for. It’s a small one - only 2 TB. Its not full, only 25,000 tracks. Now what? How do you navigate 25,000 tracks? You need a GUI of some kind. So you now need a screen to display what you’re doing. You need an OS to handle that. You need a QWERTY keyboard to search for your favorite tracks. You need RAM to save your playlists. Oh, you want to do all that on your phone? You need Bluetooth. Or WiFi. Or Ethernet. Hell, it’s a full on computer. Whaaaaat? Computers don’t ship with CD drives any more.

No.

Just no.

A CD transport plays CDs.

Full Stop.

Wow, you are really overthinking this, I just want to be able to plug in a drive and hit play, (random would be nice) no searching, no playlists, no BS. The Transport display Jason showed a couple chapters back shows more than enough info to do this.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #60,339 of 152,131
That percentage will come down a smidgen when I get the new CD Transport and Freya though...
Do you have a Freya on order? I have a Freya, the original version with the higher tube gain. I bought a used Freya S yesterday, which is on its way to me. I also placed an order for a new Freya+ yesterday, which is on backorder. I also ordered a 1-IN-3-OUT XLR switch and a 3-IN-1-OUT XLR switch, so it will be easier to compare the three of them. I'm really happy with my Freya, but there are times during quiet musical passages when I think one of the updated models will be noticeably quieter. I don't care so much about the tube shutoff feature on Freya+, unless I was to start using the JFET buffer more. I really don't care about the motorized pot either. One of them will be a keeper, probably for a long time.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #60,340 of 152,131
Do you have a Freya on order? I have a Freya, the original version with the higher tube gain. I bought a used Freya S yesterday, which is on its way to me. I also placed an order for a new Freya+ yesterday, which is on backorder. I also ordered a 1-IN-3-OUT XLR switch and a 3-IN-1-OUT XLR switch, so it will be easier to compare the three of them. I'm really happy with my Freya, but there are times during quiet musical passages when I think one of the updated models will be noticeably quieter. I don't care so much about the tube shutoff feature on Freya+, unless I was to start using the JFET buffer more. I really don't care about the motorized pot either. One of them will be a keeper, probably for a long time.

that will be an interesting test. remember to match levels. btw, is the used Freya S returnable to the seller?

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #60,341 of 152,131
Unless you live in a broadcast tower, the amount of RFI and EMI between a stacked DAC and preamp right on top of each other, connected by a PYST-length cable, is effectively non-existent.
Common mode rejection in balanced DAC>amp connections can be very helpful against power hum in tight cabling spaces.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #60,342 of 152,131
that will be an interesting test. remember to match levels. btw, is the used Freya S returnable to the seller?
I'm thinking that I may also pick up a JBL Nano Patch, to use as a master volume control. That way I can match volume levels on the three preamps at a higher than comfortable listening level, then be able to use the Nano Patch to adjust volume between songs, etc. without unmatching the relative volume levels. This is my first time doing this kind of comparison. I've invited some others to join in on a listening test, while trying to figure out how to do it in a fairly safe manner, while NCOV-19 is still going around.

Freya S is not returnable, but I'm only paying $425 for it. I'll get to use it for as long as I want and resell it, for less than shipping a new one back and forth between CA and ME would be. In the end, I suspect I'll keep the Freya+, which will cost a fair amount more than my used Freya OG and the used Freya S will sell for combined, but I only need one preamp.

One of the guys who may come up from MA said that he would be willing to bring his Yggdrasil A2. I have a Yggdrasil A1. We could compare those as well. There's a part of me that would just assume not compare my DAC to the newer version, because I don't see that as a weak spot in my system by any means, so I would prefer to be blissfully ignorant that there's a better sounding option out there.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #60,343 of 152,131
After using the Asgard3 / Mimby combo for a little over a year I've bought a used Jotunheim from 2018, and just received conformation my Modius has left the building.. Exciting times..
I think you'll like the Jot/Modius pairing. Listening again with it now.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #60,344 of 152,131
Deep down, I had been hoping for Schiit to release a DAC like the Modius for some time now. I almost pulled the trigger on the SMSL SU-8 DAC at one point but I think I made the right choice to buy this when it came out.

My experience with the Modi Multibit and now the Modius has me thinking about the Bifrost 2 as my next DAC. I wonder if it smokes them both...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #60,345 of 152,131
I'm thinking that I may also pick up a JBL Nano Patch, to use as a master volume control. That way I can match volume levels on the three preamps at a higher than comfortable listening level, then be able to use the Nano Patch to adjust volume between songs, etc. without unmatching the relative volume levels. This is my first time doing this kind of comparison. I've invited some others to join in on a listening test, while trying to figure out how to do it in a fairly safe manner, while NCOV-19 is still going around.

Freya S is not returnable, but I'm only paying $425 for it. I'll get to use it for as long as I want and resell it, for less than shipping a new one back and forth between CA and ME would be. In the end, I suspect I'll keep the Freya+, which will cost a fair amount more than my used Freya OG and the used Freya S will sell for combined, but I only need one preamp.

One of the guys who may come up from MA said that he would be willing to bring his Yggdrasil A2. I have a Yggdrasil A1. We could compare those as well. There's a part of me that would just assume not compare my DAC to the newer version, because I don't see that as a weak spot in my system by any means, so I would prefer to be blissfully ignorant that there's a better sounding option out there.

how much time is needed for the Yggdrasil A2 to warm up after being re-powered on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back