Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #60,346 of 150,704
Deep down, I had been hoping for Schiit to release a DAC like the Modius for some time now. I almost pulled the trigger on the SMSL SU-8 DAC at one point but I think I made the right choice to buy this when it came out.

My experience with the Modi Multibit and now the Modius has me thinking about the Bifrost 2 as my next DAC. I wonder if it smokes them both...

dangerous to get one for evaluation-- you might like it too much to send it back. Note that there are some real big fans of the Bifrost 2 on this thread. @Ripper2860, for instance (if he hasn't already replied to your post, he's probably in the middle of a listening session)

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #60,347 of 150,704
dangerous to get one for evaluation-- you might like it too much to send it back. Note that there are some real big fans of the Bifrost 2 on this thread. @Ripper2860, for instance (if he hasn't already replied to your post, he's probably in the middle of a listening session)
I wonder if it combines the musicality and beautiful sound signature of the Modi Multibit with the resolution and other strengths of the Modius? That would be an incredible DAC.

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #60,348 of 150,704

How did you know I was listening? Have you hacked my webcam?? :fearful:

Deep down, I had been hoping for Schiit to release a DAC like the Modius for some time now. I almost pulled the trigger on the SMSL SU-8 DAC at one point but I think I made the right choice to buy this when it came out.

My experience with the Modi Multibit and now the Modius has me thinking about the Bifrost 2 as my next DAC. I wonder if it smokes them both...

Having moved from Modi Multibit to Bifrost 2, I can tell you that it was quite a significant difference -- a least for me. I have never owned a Modius or Modi 3, but I have owned a few DS DACs and Multibit seems to offer a more natural and organic representation of instruments and space. Bifrost 2 has been referred to as Yggy, Jr and on par with Gungnir Multibit A1. It punches well above its price-point and impressed me to such a level that I not only replaced Modi Multibit with a Bifrost 2, but I also replaced the Cambridge Audio DAC in my 2-channel rig w/ a Bifrost 2. Of course, YMMV with your ears, gear, and music. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #60,349 of 150,704
I wonder if it combines the musicality and beautiful sound signature of the Modi Multibit with the resolution and other strengths of the Modius? That would be an incredible DAC.
I've not heard either, but Schiit's multibit technology, especially their proprietary filter, is different enough from delta-sigma designs (like the AK4493 in the Modius) that I suspect the Bifrost 2 will not sound like the union of the two cheaper DACs. All reports I've read suggest it is a baby Yggdrasil. As an Yggdrasil owner, I'm still to hear a not-nose-bleed AKM-based design that matches the naturalness, layering, and spatial organization of Schiit's multibit DACs. Yes, one can get there and beyond with AKM chips, but only if surrounded by a lot of custom DSP and other circuitry, as in the Linn Katalyst DACs I'm listening to in my living room.
PS: @Ripper2860 said it too, not sure if I should cheer or shrink under the couch that I used almost the same qualifiers :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #60,350 of 150,704
I've not heard either, but Schiit's multibit technology, especially their proprietary filter, is different enough from delta-sigma designs (like the AK4493 in the Modius) that I suspect the Bifrost 2 will not sound like the union of the two cheaper DACs. All reports I've read suggest it is a baby Yggdrasil. As an Yggdrasil owner, I'm still to hear a not-nose-bleed AKM-based design that matches the naturalness, layering, and spatial organization of Schiit's multibit DACs. Yes, one can get there and beyond with AKM chips, but only if surrounded by a lot of custom DSP and other circuitry, as in the Linn Katalyst DACs I'm listening to in my living room.
PS: @Ripper2860 said it too, not sure if I should cheer or shrink under the couch that I used almost the same qualifiers :wink:

I always felt like the Bifrost 2 took the best of the modi multibit & the best of the Bifrost 4490, combined them into one unit, and then blew by them both to reach new heights.....

I would expect Modius to exceed modi 3 and be plus or minus in the ballpark of Bifrost 4490, with unison, for half the price of the Bifrost 4490 with Gen 5 usb...

I own all of the Dacs mentioned except the new one, Modius.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #60,351 of 150,704
It's amazing how the same discussions, debates and diatribes that have been going around among audio fans since the invention of Hi Fi continue to go around. And nothing in all that time has changed. The bottom line is: if it sounds good to you then it is, and it doesn't matter what anyone else or any "expert" might think about your choice. Just enjoy the music.
i also enjoy the gear. Looks and engineering of the gear, besides the sound are also part of the hobby to me. Next thing is some serious room correction stuff that does not make the room like a studio. I am not talking about the thick carpet that really changed the sound big time in my small room. It is just lovely fun to keep tinkering :L3000:

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #60,352 of 150,704
I once had more money than brains and thought that cost = quality and had over $500K invested in my 2-channel system. Then I had a balloon mortgage payment due on the house and not enough cash to pay it, so I sold everything at a significant loss and paid the house payment. My next system was far more conservatively priced and I kept finding myself using it more and enjoying it more. My mantra these days is I don't care what something costs I care how it sounds. I like good sounds. I like music. I am not "into" the gear - it is a tool to meet the goal of the music (or the movie.)

What a salutary tale Ableza! Thanks for sharing that.
I am still reeling from the thought of $500k on a 2-channel system.
I also like music and occasionally need to remind myself that the gear is only a means to an end.
Your post set that out pretty graphically.
My love of music started when I was 6 or 7 years old,
Back then, our family owned a 1950s 'radiogram' which incorporated a record player, AM radio and small valve amp.
It was of course, mono.
Until my early teens, when I had saved enough to buy my own small stereo record player, with two speakers (!), the radiogram was the only playback option.
From 7 inch '60s singles, to my father's Jazz albums and my own small collection of LPs, I spent thousands of hours enjoying music.
That old radiogram certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment or dampen my enthusiasm for music one bit
Access to high quality audio gear has never been so good, but despite my enthusiasm for Schiit products, and any well-engineered audio gear, for me, it is all about the music.
I remind myself just how lucky I am to now have an almost infinite music library on tap, with Qobuz, and a system which makes much of it sound almost real.:beyersmile:

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #60,353 of 150,704
One of the guys who may come up from MA said that he would be willing to bring his Yggdrasil A2. I have a Yggdrasil A1. We could compare those as well. There's a part of me that would just assume not compare my DAC to the newer version, because I don't see that as a weak spot in my system by any means, so I would prefer to be blissfully ignorant that there's a better sounding option out there.

I did just that the last quarter of 2018, kept my A unit and ordered a new B unit and ran both side by side in both SE and balanced configurations for a full year. To my ears and with my gears there was no second coming, but I spent the money for Yggdrasil A because it was upgrade-able, and would probably always lead with the most bells and whistles features and performance in the Schiit lineup for many years, otherwise I might have dropped down a level. So when I can upgrade I do, just because I can. I wish Unison had been available at that time. Now I will have to send my upgraded A unit back for Unison so when the CD spinner arrives I can do my A/B comparisons with USB versus coax versus AES between the 2 Yggdrasil's, one with and one without Unison in combination with the (they still haven't named it yet), transport. That's a part of the fun of this hobby for me.

All that said, when it comes to the listening part of this hobby the recorded quality of the source material and capabilities of the transducer are, in my opinion and over the past 5 plus decades of involvement as an audiophile, at least 90% or better of the end sound. Especially given the current times performance of the pieces parts between the two.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #60,355 of 150,704
how much time is needed for the Yggdrasil A2 to warm up after being re-powered on?
I guess it depends on who you ask. I should go try to find where Mike Moffat explained his thoughts on that. I've never had my Yggdrasil A1 off for any length of time, turned it on, and thought to myself "this sounds like ass." I've also never purposely tried to discern if there were differences before and after. Once I find what MM had to say about it, maybe I'll pick out some music to test with and see if I can pick out differences.

I generally leave my Yggdrasil on all the time. I did shut it off for a day about a week and a half ago, which rarely happens. I also switch it off when there are thunderstorms close by, as an extra precaution against electrical surges, but switch it back on as soon as they've passed.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #60,356 of 150,704
the recorded quality of the source material and capabilities of the transducer are, in my opinion and over the past 5 plus decades of involvement as an audiophile, at least 90% or better of the end sound.

The recording phase is completely out of listener‘s control. They use transducers (mics), recording machines, mixing and eq devices (with lots of opamps!) and so on. The only thing we music lovers can do is listen to it and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #60,357 of 150,704
The recording phase is completely out of listener‘s control. They use transducers (mics), recording machines, mixing and eq devices (with lots of opamps!) and so on. The only thing we music lovers can do is listen to it and hope for the best.

True.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #60,358 of 150,704
how much time is needed for the Yggdrasil A2 to warm up after being re-powered on?

Like Pete says, depends on who you ask. I leave mine on all the time unless I'm going to be away for week or two, I think I remember reading something on Mike's thread to the effect that electric cost is about $0.45 cents a month on average. When I return I turn it on and given the years I've owned both I tell myself 24 to 48 hours should be adequate to reach thermal equilibrium but I've never noticed anything worth mentioning. It's more psychological on my part. Is 24 to 48 hours enough time? I don't know, there are enough other things to be anal about in this hobby, got to streamline the process somewhere along the line.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #60,360 of 150,704
Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back