Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #59,102 of 150,563
This is why I continue to tune in. I enjoy the BBQ discussion and pictures of your Schiit stacks (keep 'em coming).
But, I especially enjoy the posts from Jason that provide a great outlook on the current situation, along with a touch of humour. A great alternative to the mostly negative news these days.
Cheers,
RCB

May 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #59,103 of 150,563
May 13, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #59,104 of 150,563
Moved the Schiit Lego stack to the lab, and put the Vali on top of it (didn't fasten that one). split the loki output to both amps, and use the preouts on the magni to drive the monitors. PC goes into the Wyrd, then the USB input of the Modi, iPhone goes into the Eitr, then to the coax. Modi to Sys, which also has a 3.5 mm analog input.
The do-it-all stack!

1589398683592.png

You lost me after "goes into," but nice stack(s)! :)

May 13, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #59,105 of 150,563
I decided to get a Drop HD6XX. With my Modi Multibit/Magni 3+ stack being brighter than when I used Eitr/Modi Multibit/Magni 3, I'm curious if the HD6XX (HD650) will synergize better with it versus the HD600.

I can't comment on the sound vs the HD600, but I do have the HD6XX currently running from a Bluesound Node 2i though an XMC-1 as the DAC to a Magni 3. Sounds amazing to me, and way louder than I should comfortably listen to. Scotch Mods help even more :xf_cool:

May 13, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #59,106 of 150,563
I can't comment on the sound vs the HD600, but I do have the HD6XX currently running from a Bluesound Node 2i though an XMC-1 as the DAC to a Magni 3. Sounds amazing to me, and way louder than I should comfortably listen to. Scotch Mods help even more :xf_cool:
The Scotch filters are nice with certain genres...like all of them!

May 14, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #59,107 of 150,563
To be honest, I dont really care where the product is made, as long as there is good warranty and customer service.
I care about where things are made and try to buy U.S. made products when possible. In September 2001 the Chinese government treated our U.S. Navy EP-3 aircrew in a shameful manner. I try to avoid Chinese made products when ever possible.

May 14, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #59,108 of 150,563
unison on yggy uses a mysterious different internal header
@Jason Stoddard did mention a while back that the unison module's internal connector (RJ11) is for programming the boot loader code on the on-board microcontroller's flash at the board house, and that Schiit themselves programs the actual unison firmware in-house (at a minimum ID strings are different between Bifrost/Gungnir/Yggdrasil). Yggdrasil full build video that someone re-posted recently shows Unison module being programmed via the USB.
GEN 5 used the CMedia CM6331A USB interface chip (or something like that)
IMG_0045.jpg
No, see CN3/4 on the digital input board. Gen5 = CN4 UNISON = CN3 (or Strike that. Reverse it.) Both use CN2 for power/control. Think it's interesting, don't mean to dwell on it. [old pics during the beta] Didn't trace the circuit 'cause risk to damaging the yggy, maybe in a year or three.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #59,109 of 150,563
IMG_0045.jpg
No, see CN3/4 on the digital input board. Gen5 = CN4 UNISON = CN3 (or Strike that. Reverse it.) Both use CN2 for power/control. Think it's interesting, don't mean to dwell on it. [old pics during the beta] Didn't trace the circuit 'cause risk to damaging the yggy, maybe in a year or three.

as Spock would say (with raised eyebrow) "fascinating"

May 14, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #59,110 of 150,563
The timing of this chapter couldn't have been more appropriate. Jason confirmed what I had suspected about this recent arrival, pictured below. I had been wondering if there was a means to test whether they really did at least put out some UV-C. When packages arrive, or after shopping, I unload everything in the entrance and leave the UV light on them for 15 minutes.

IMG_4020.jpeg

May 14, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #59,111 of 150,563
I decided to get a Drop HD6XX. With my Modi Multibit/Magni 3+ stack being brighter than when I used Eitr/Modi Multibit/Magni 3, I'm curious if the HD6XX (HD650) will synergize better with it versus the HD600.

I might only have the original Modi 3/Magni 3 and the Hel, but I can comfortably say that aside from my beloved Koss clip-ons, the 6XX is the one headphone I'd never part with, and would recommend practically everyone in the world. The performance, the cost, the everything about it, makes it the easiest headphone to always keep around.

I find myself falling out of the audio game more often than not, but the 6XX is just simple comfort food for the ears.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #59,112 of 150,563
In a post last year Mike had mentioned that they were working with bitrates up to 32 bits. I did not ask for details, but I am wondering if the transport will play DVD-A's and similar Hi Res discs.

Considering DVD-A is a 'unicorn' format and the player needs to hook up to a display to navigate the disc I think it's safe to say the transport will not support it.

May 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #59,114 of 150,563
I care about where things are made and try to buy U.S. made products when possible. In September 2001 the Chinese government treated our U.S. Navy EP-3 aircrew in a shameful manner. I try to avoid Chinese made products when ever possible.

It's all perspective isn't it? I'm not American and because of the political climate in the U.S. I'm actively trying to avoid products coming from or made in the USA. That will change if there is a change in government . I buy fruit that travels half way around the world from Australia to avoid purchasing grown in the USA. Buying Schitt products presents a dilemma of conscience. I understand that Schitt and all of the fine people that work there are not responsible for the actions of their government. The same is true of all of the Chinese workers trying to eke out a living working in factories manufacturing products that are imported into the U.S. There's a laundry list of ways in which the current U.S government has acted shamefully. It's all perspective.

May 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #59,115 of 150,563
Kicking the China habit is a very difficult thing to do. I tried about 15 years ago after getting tired of purchasing things that would only last a short amount of time before breaking. Try going into Target, or Walmart, or any other similar type store and try to find normal every day things you use that are made in the USA, they are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back