Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #59,073 of 150,704
Jason, question about everything being a Thunderdome now. Those products that will not see another run will the final stock be moved to your closeout section?

There's no rules, no telling, it will depend entirely on how things sell.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 13, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #59,074 of 150,704
I think its cool that you're expanding your business horizons. Good for you!

May 13, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #59,075 of 150,704
The internet of things/apps/smart-cloud-connected stuff may start to look less appealing.

I really never bought into those smart connected devices. Somethings are just meant to connect to only an electric outlet. Smart fridge? common, its just one way to be extra lazy

May 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #59,077 of 150,704
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #59,079 of 150,704
I really never bought into those smart connected devices. Somethings are just meant to connect to only an electric outlet. Smart fridge? common, its just one way to be extra lazy

But you can play Doom on it!

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #59,080 of 150,704
As one result of all of this, we’ve been made more aware of the importance of local supply chains. It’s fairly terrifying to see how much manufacturing capability we’ve lost in the USA. And yes, I know, it’s a global economy, and there’s no putting the genie back into the bottle, but I gotta ask: do we really just want to be a consumer/service economy?

I was rereading Vernor Vinge's A Deepness In The Sky recently, and was reminded of this when the main character talks about how civilizations collapse when they overoptimize, but the main problem is that when they run into a problem caused by overoptimization, they optimize more which buys them some time, but eventually they run out of rope and the whole place collapses. For those who don't know the novel, it's hard sci-fi that talks about a group of people who travel at sublight speeds under hibernation to visit different interstellar civilizations to trade. Since it takes hundreds of years to get anywhere, they see history accelerated during their lifetimes and witness planetary civilizations collapsing, perhaps several times for the same planet, over their lifetimes.

Anyway, the outsourcing of supply chains to other countries is an example of optimization, and yeah, in a stable environment, it's great. But it's also vulnerable to what some might call black swan or totally unexpected events, like this pandemic. For the programmers out there, it's like never checking the error return value of a function (eg. NULL return pointer): 99.9% of the time, it's totally safe and faster and more efficient, but for that 0.1% when it happens, it's going to bring your whole system down. Yeah, I get that it's a dumb tradeoff to not check for NULL pointers, but this is unfortunately not nearly even the dumbest programming mistake I've seen.

Fixing this optimization failure (of manufacturing outsourcing) with more optimization might be diversifying your manufacturing base to other countries which perhaps aren't as developed as China's industrial base yet: many companies are building in Thailand and Vietnam now for example. But what happens is that it increases your dependencies more: you now have to deal with 3 countries instead of 1. And all 3 countries are still in the same geopolitical arena of the world: not good!

The question I've got to ask about all this outsourcing is: is it worth your resiliency and security to make a little bit more money by relying on 3rd party commodity producers? 6 months ago, the answer would have been different than today, I think. Because of this pandemic, I hope we can rebalance to find something that's more sustainable and resilient in the future.

BTW, Jason, I'm glad you guys are doing Schanitize. I also looked into UV sterilization for our devices when the pandemic started, and couldn't find a good answer for how effective a particular UV lamp would be. Now we just quarantine devices for 72 hours, which we're lucky that our relatively low volumes allow us to do.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #59,081 of 150,704
Jason- thank you for another great piece of writing, interesting and broad in scope.

And in the midst of it all, when talking about products soon to come, you used the magic word: Transport. :smile_cat:

May 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #59,082 of 150,704
I notice neither Jason nor Mike ever refer to the transport as CD player, only as transport (or CD transport). Does that mean that this device will offer more functionality than just CD playback?

May 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #59,083 of 150,704
mgKkZq0.gif

May 13, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #59,084 of 150,704
Great book

RE:
"I was rereading Vernor Vinge's A Deepness In The Sky recently, and was reminded of this when the main character talks about how civilizations collapse when they overoptimize, but the main problem is that when they run into a problem caused by overoptimization, they optimize more which buys them some time, but eventually they run out of rope and the whole place collapses. For those who don't know the novel, it's hard sci-fi that talks about a group of people who travel at sublight speeds under hibernation to visit different interstellar civilizations to trade. Since it takes hundreds of years to get anywhere, they see history accelerated during their lifetimes and witness planetary civilizations collapsing, perhaps several times for the same planet, over their lifetimes.

Anyway, the outsourcing of supply chains to other countries is an example of optimization, and yeah, in a stable environment, it's great. But it's also vulnerable to what some might call black swan or totally unexpected events, like this pandemic. For the programmers out there, it's like never checking the error return value of a function (eg. NULL return pointer): 99.9% of the time, it's totally safe and faster and more efficient, but for that 0.1% when it happens, it's going to bring your whole system down. Yeah, I get that it's a dumb tradeoff to not check for NULL pointers, but this is unfortunately not nearly even the dumbest programming mistake I've seen.

Fixing this optimization failure (of manufacturing outsourcing) with more optimization might be diversifying your manufacturing base to other countries which perhaps aren't as developed as China's industrial base yet: many companies are building in Thailand and Vietnam now for example. But what happens is that it increases your dependencies more: you now have to deal with 3 countries instead of 1. And all 3 countries are still in the same geopolitical arena of the world: not good!

The question I've got to ask about all this outsourcing is: is it worth your resiliency and security to make a little bit more money by relying on 3rd party commodity producers? 6 months ago, the answer would have been different than today, I think. Because of this pandemic, I hope we can rebalance to find something that's more sustainable and resilient in the future.

BTW, Jason, I'm glad you guys are doing Schanitize. I also looked into UV sterilization for our devices when the pandemic started, and couldn't find a good answer for how effective a particular UV lamp would be. Now we just quarantine devices for 72 hours, which we're lucky that our relatively low volumes allow us to do. "

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #59,085 of 150,704
I notice neither Jason nor Mike ever refer to the transport as CD player, only as transport (or CD transport). Does that mean that this device will offer more functionality than just CD playback?

In a post last year Mike had mentioned that they were working with bitrates up to 32 bits. I did not ask for details, but I am wondering if the transport will play DVD-A's and similar Hi Res discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back