Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #59,131 of 150,589
@Jason Stoddard how about a hint re the soon to be released product? is it an update to an existing one (e.g. HP amp, pre-amp, DAC) or something completely different (e.g. processor, source)

thanks for keeping your company working (manufacturing & shipping existing products, providing support, and developing new items) despite the difficulties working under the ever-changing COVID-19 rules.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #59,132 of 150,589
Before Sam Walton died one could walk through Wal-Mart and find signs everywhere stating "Made In The USA". Those days are long gone.
From National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:
Wal-Mart.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #59,133 of 150,589
While doing some clean-up, I just found an old Blu-ray player (was bought about 10 years ago, put in storage, and recently re-discovered). Hooked it up via toslink (does not have coax digital out) to my Bifrost OG and it sounded OK. Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I downloaded new firmware and flashed the unit, but noticed then that the sound had changed, and not for the better. After some investigation, it turned out that the new firmware defaulted to turning on dynamic compression. Best to always check audio settings after any firmware "update"

May 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #59,134 of 150,589
Off topic, and for this thread that's a bit of a reach, I have been researching ideas for a cheap Roon endpoint. I had my shopping cart loaded up with some Raspberry Pi bits and pieces when I realized I had an unused Apple Airport Express in the junk to-be-used-later pile which should work nicely.
2 minutes after plugging it in I had it set up as an Airplay endpoint. I know it's not audiophile or even hi-fi, but it does work nicely for casual listening in the living room. Happy!!

May 14, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #59,136 of 150,589
Tennessee/Mississippi BBQ is the absolute best...
Tennessee/Mississippi BBQ is TX BBQ minus Texas toast minus jalapeños plus fried pickles and biscuits.

May 14, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #59,137 of 150,589
Tennessee/Mississippi BBQ is TX BBQ minus Texas toast minus jalapeños plus fried pickles and biscuits.
It's a little more different than that.

I grew up in TN, and my Mom and Dad LOVED ribs, so we frequented many BBQ joints and I really grew to appreciate it over the years. When we moved to MS, there were less "big" BBQ joints, but there were tons of small ones that were family owned/run and those small shacks and "restaurants" really opened my eyes to what great BBQ is, most of them there don't serve biscuits, but cornbread or sweet cornbread which is pretty much cake :). I've also lived in Texas and NC, Texas has some mighty fine BBQ and I even found a couple small smokers there that reminded me of home, NC on the other hand really never lived up to the expectation for me. When I moved there they would say, "ohhh if you like BBQ, you'll love ours we have the best there is!" however I cannot STAND vinegar so I quickly learned to order all my BBQ naked there.

May 14, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #59,138 of 150,589
Before Sam Walton died one could walk through Wal-Mart and find signs everywhere stating "Made In The USA". Those days are long gone.
From National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:

Ironically Sam Walton’s successors were part of the problem when it came to moving manufacturing out of the US.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #59,139 of 150,589
Ironically Sam Walton’s successors were part of the problem when it came to moving manufacturing out of the US.
You're being generous. Sam Walton's kids ruined Wal-Mart by treating the corporation as their personal piggy-bank and demanding that suppliers out-source everything to drive costs down. The list of companies they ruined is too long to list here.

May 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #59,140 of 150,589
Since Sam died I did once go into a Walmart, but didn't buy anything. RIP Sam.

May 14, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #59,141 of 150,589
It's a little more different than that.

Of course it is!
I'm not a big bread (cake?) eater, but a properly made batch of cornbread can add a huge amount of enjoyment to a meal!

however I cannot STAND vinegar so I quickly learned to order all my BBQ naked there.

That's a frequent discussion in my house, too. I love vinegar based sauces, but my bride... not so much.

The bride, improperly, judges BBQ joints based on their sides and not on the quality of the meat.

I love her just the same.:hearts:

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #59,143 of 150,589
Does anyone else think Audiophiles (or audio enthusiasts) are having an easier time with the stay at home orders? "Oh you mean I should stay at home and spend more time listening to music? And you say this is a safe and healthy option to reduce chance of catching a potentially deadly disease?"

Good hobby to have these days.

Also, I'm appreciating the Bifrost 2 more and more every day. It has seen some serious usage these past few days/weeks/months. I've got one O them fancy tube HP amps in my house for awhile, participating in a beta on new integrated amp, and I've got another integrated amp incoming to compare to all of it for Schiits and giggles. Bifrost 2 has been feeding everything with joy. All built/designed/assembled in the US as well. Cool hobby, cool people, cool place to hangout.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #59,144 of 150,589
Does anyone else think Audiophiles (or audio enthusiasts) are having an easier time with the stay at home orders? "Oh you mean I should stay at home and spend more time listening to music? And you say this is a safe and healthy option to reduce chance of catching a potentially deadly disease?"

Good hobby to have these days.

Also, I'm appreciating the Bifrost 2 more and more every day. It has seen some serious usage these past few days/weeks/months. I've got one O them fancy tube HP amps in my house for awhile, participating in a beta on new integrated amp, and I've got another integrated amp incoming to compare to all of it for Schiits and giggles. Bifrost 2 has been feeding everything with joy. All built/designed/assembled in the US as well. Cool hobby, cool people, cool place to hangout.

For myself I'd say it's almost the opposite, when I'm tooling around and working audio quality is a pretty low priority, and when I'm doing something else I enjoy I can get lost in that task itself and not need any music. My latest hobby has been plants, I'm up to over 50 plants in about 6 months, Jasons thinks I'm crazy.

However, I find myself not even getting around to listening to music as much because for me it's like desert, I love it but it I find that it's a treat for winding down at the end of the day rather than just all the time.

May 15, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #59,145 of 150,589
For myself I'd say it's almost the opposite, when I'm tooling around and working audio quality is a pretty low priority, and when I'm doing something else I enjoy I can get lost in that task itself and not need any music. My latest hobby has been plants, I'm up to over 50 plants in about 6 months, Jasons thinks I'm crazy.

However, I find myself not even getting around to listening to music as much because for me it's like desert, I love it but it I find that it's a treat for winding down at the end of the day rather than just all the time.

50 plants? that a lotta joints :) oh, not THOSE kind of plants... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back