Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #55,053 of 149,689
try the phase switch out on some ACOUSTIC (not synthesized) drum tracks...Sheffield drum record or CD
Now here's an interesting subject for this thread.
I have the phase switch on my Yggdrasil.
Pushed it some times but I don't hear a difference.
My question is: What should I hear. How to test it's merit?

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #55,054 of 149,689
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #55,055 of 149,689
https://www.bing.com/images/search? view=detailV2&ccid=TlfJEm68&id=05684DE4725B06414726AAB0DEE7B007F09AFBC8&thid=OIP.TlfJEm686RmyArTulVxaxAAAAA&mediaurl=http://www.artsjournal.com/dewey21c/tin%20ear.jpg&exph=336&expw=448&q=tin+ear&simid=608004447473763319&selectedIndex=2

You live up to your name!

Change of conversation.

I recently purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KRWYN4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It splits off the audio from an HDMI signal into rca SPDIF and optical/Toslink SPDIF. While still passing the video on to your TV or display.

Why?

I'm using it to turn my old Apple TV 4th Gen and an old TV into a stereo streaming source for my 2-Channel System (Modi Multibit, Freya 1, 2x ACAs via XLR, Zu Druid IVs).

For $20 I've added a HDMI input to my Schiit. So if your wishing Schiit would add an HDMI input to their DACs; this is a reasonable solution. (Disclaimer: this has to be Chinese made at this price but at least Amazon is behind it and as far as I know there is no equivalent U.S. made equipment. I don't know yet if it dumbs down the audio stream as my Modi does not indicate bit rate and depth received; but the sound quality sounded just fine to me on initial listening).

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #55,056 of 149,689
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #55,057 of 149,689
I've noticed that Spotify has some kind of EQ running in the background. The same album played on Spotify sounds fuller and smoother compared to my FLAC copy. This is on the gear in my sig.

This is a dilemma because I refuse to use EQ for my "serious" listening, but I can't deny what I hear.

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #55,058 of 149,689
Fixed your avatar for you...:ksc75smile:
upload_2019-12-28_21-19-31.png

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #55,060 of 149,689
I've noticed that Spotify has some kind of EQ running in the background. The same album played on Spotify sounds fuller and smoother compared to my FLAC copy. This is on the gear in my sig.

This is a dilemma because I refuse to use EQ for my "serious" listening, but I can't deny what I hear.
Are those versions the same? Maybe another master?

edit: the most important is that you listen to the version you like most.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #55,061 of 149,689
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #55,062 of 149,689
Are those versions the same? Maybe another master?

edit: the most important is that you listen to the version you like most.

No, the albums (example: Lotta Sea Lice by Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile) are a little too new to have different masterings, but who knows.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #55,063 of 149,689
Now here's an interesting subject for this thread.
I have the phase switch on my Yggdrasil.
Pushed it some times but I don't hear a difference.
My question is: What should I hear. How to test it's merit?
When a musical instrument is played a positive wave form is usually created at the leading edge.
An absolute phase switch changes whether the re-created leading edge of a wave form that we hear, has a positive or a negative initial pressure front.

Some albums have their tracks reverse polarized, at least in terms of the low frequencies.
And it's the low frequencies where I hear the most, and the easiest to hear, differences.

In my collection of music, ≈30% of the tracks I listen to, #1 have extended bass and #2 are reversed polarized.
But it does take #1 to be able to test for 'proper' playback phase in the 1st place.

This is the 'test' you can apply to see if there is an audible difference.
When you are playing a track that does have extended bass (is not rolled off at ≈ 50Hz and below) then when the 'correct' phase is engaged during playback, those extended frequencies will become more apparent, as in you'll hear/feel more bass presence and it will reach lower in frequency.
And a CD I have that meets #1&2, is Daft Punk Random Access Memories.

This also assumes that your entire playback SYSTEM is capable of presenting those lower frequencies, especially those below ≈30Hz.

Speakers have a much harder time dealing with the 30Hz and below range of frequencies, unless you have spent $$$$$+.
Headphones can handle this frequency range but I have found it takes a fair amount of additional fussing to actually deliver those low frequencies to realize the sonic benefits.

TL;DR for most setups the phase reversal switch will be a seldom used feature, mostly because unless the factors mentioned above aren't all dialed in, the SYSTEM won't be conducive to actually hearing the differences in the first place.
And it doesn't 'hurt' anything if the phase is reversed, or not, so it's really not an issue either way.
And so it's 'better' to just leave it normal (non-reversed), since the vast majority of music is not reversed in the first place, as such there is no need to 'correct' for it.
And unless you expend the effort to be able to have your SYSTEM reach to ≈15Hz (or lower), the 'full effect' of the phase reversal switch will seem to have no real effect, either way.

IOW it's only those who are willing and able to push the edges of the bottom end of the frequency spectrum in the first place, where the sonic rewards of phase reversal will become a 'thing'.

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #55,064 of 149,689
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=TlfJEm68&id=05684DE4725B06414726AAB0DEE7B007F09AFBC8&thid=OIP.TlfJEm686RmyArTulVxaxAAAAA&mediaurl=http://www.artsjournal.com/dewey21c/tin%20ear.jpg&exph=336&expw=448&q=tin+ear&simid=608004447473763319&selectedIndex=2

You live up to your name!

Change of conversation.

I recently purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KRWYN4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It splits off the audio from an HDMI signal into rca SPDIF and optical/Toslink SPDIF. While still passing the video on to your TV or display.

Why?

I'm using it to turn my old Apple TV 4th Gen and an old TV into a stereo streaming source for my 2-Channel System (Modi Multibit, Freya 1, 2x ACAs via XLR, Zu Druid IVs).

For $20 I've added a HDMI input to my Schiit. So if your wishing Schiit would add an HDMI input to their DACs; this is a reasonable solution. (Disclaimer: this has to be Chinese made at this price but at least Amazon is behind it and as far as I know there is no equivalent U.S. made equipment. I don't know yet if it dumbs down the audio stream as my Modi does not indicate bit rate and depth received; but the sound quality sounded just fine to me on initial listening).

Hmm.

I do a similar thing, but with my Apple TV Gen 3.

Ethernet into the back, optical out to my DAC. Stream from iTunes, Plex, etc. In theory would work over Wifi but I haven’t tested that. Would probably also work as a Roon endpoint.

No need for any HDMI.

EDIT. OH, I see, your use case is different, you’re using it to listen to tv. I do that too, but I “cast” the sound from my Apple TV gen 4 to my Apple TV gen 3. That way I can have one box connected to the stereo and one to the tv, and switch my source as needed when listening.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #55,065 of 149,689
When a musical instrument is played a positive wave form is usually created at the leading edge.
Absolute phase changes whether the re-created leading edge of a wave form that we hear, has a positive or a negative initial pressure front.

Some albums have their tracks reverse polarized, at least in terms of the low frequencies.
And it's the low frequencies where I hear the most, and the easiest to hear, differences.

In my collection of music, ≈30% of the tracks I listen to, #1 have extended bass and #2 are reversed polarized.
But it does take #1 to be able to test for 'proper' playback phase in the 1st place.

This is the 'test' you can apply to see if there is an audible difference.
When you are playing a track that does have extended bass (is not rolled off at ≈ 50Hz and below) then when the 'correct' phase is engaged during playback, those extended frequencies will become more apparent, as in you'll hear/feel more bass presence and it will reach lower in frequency.
And a CD I have that meets #1&2, is Daft Punk Random Access Memories.

This also assumes that your entire playback SYSTEM is capable of presenting those lower frequencies, especially those below ≈30Hz.

Speakers have a much harder time dealing with the 30Hz and below range of frequencies, unless you have spent $$$$$+.
Headphones can handle this frequency range but I have found it takes a fair amount of additional fussing to actually deliver those low frequencies to realize the sonic benefits.

TL;DR for most setups the phase reversal switch will be a seldom used feature, mostly because unless the factors mentioned above aren't all dialed in, the SYSTEM won't be conducive to actually hearing the differences in the first place.
And it doesn't 'hurt' anything if the phase is reversed, or not, so it's really not an issue either way.
And so it's 'better' to just leave it normal (non-reversed), since the vast majority of music is not reversed in the first place, as such there is no need to 'correct' for it.
And unless you expend the effort to be able to have your SYSTEM reach to ≈15Hz (or lower), the 'full effect' of the phase reversal switch will seem to have no real effect, either way.

IOW it's only those who are willing and able to push the edges of the bottom end of the frequency spectrum in the first place, where the sonic rewards of phase reversal will become a 'thing'.

JJ
Great explanation! An additional point to make is that the reason for inverted phase is that some audio equipment (recording, mastering, or playback) flip the polarity of the signal as it moves from input to output. This isn't intentional and more of a side effect of the circuit design. It can cause the final mastered recording to end up with inverted phase compared to the original performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back