Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #54,931 of 150,256
Stop buggering Jason about a project that's in Mike's hands.

I don’t think it’s even in Mike’s hands.... As far as I’ve understood it, it’s now down to ground-breaking programming of a mathematics PhD.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #54,932 of 150,256
So yesterday I ordered a Bifrost 2 and a fancy schmancy silver remote for my original Saga.

I was wondering if Schiit has made any progress on a combo remote that allows us folks who own both components to control everything with one accessory.

Any comment @Jason Stoddard ?
one-ring-to-rule-them-all-one-ring-to-find-11596906.png Source: https://esmemes.com/i/one-ring-to-rule-them-all-one-ring-to-find-7273449 ; uploaded December 21, 2019 {{{while highly caffeinated before I hop onto a plane}}} at 17:12 EST.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #54,933 of 150,256
Stereo/Mono Switch for Sys

EDIT: IMPORTANT, I should have stated, adding this mod will remove the reversibility of the Sys. In mono mode, it can only be safely used as a switch, not a splitter. If you use it as a splitter and want this switch, you'd need to reverse the input/output wires on the RCA jack/PCB.

I studied the service manuals for Marantz receivers from the 70s to figure out what they did, and I basically copied that design. The solution is very simple, a 4-pole double throw (4PDT) switch, when thrown one way, pass through of stereo, and the other, the stereo signals go through 2.2KOhm resistors and combine for mono. Even though it's a simple solution, it's kinda expensive because the switch I used is ~$18.

I used an infuriating online tool to draw the circuit diagram, so it's the best I could do quickly. They didn't have a 4PDT widget, so pretend the two DPDT are a single 4PDT.
aUMEbgG.png

For the wiring, I removed the output RCA jacks and bent the center pins up. Then I soldered wire to the contacts on the board for the input and then directly to the center pins for the output. In the picture, you can see the resistors soldered to the switch and the wire connecting all four top terminals of the switch.
HrffC4B.jpg

QydkSAX.jpg

As for mounting, I just drilled a hole in the Sys and used a finish nut outside, and a lockwasher and nut on the inside. Ended up looking ok, wish I would have been able to center it with the volume knob, but I think that was too low and the switch would have hit the circuit board. It was a bit tricky getting it mounted and back together because this mod ties the front/top panel to the bottom of the unit.

The way it's mounted, up is stereo, down is mono.
AXdvqBV.jpg

zeWeF0u.jpg

Parts List:
2x 2.2KOhm resistor RES 2.2K OHM 1/4W 0.1% AXIAL https://www.digikey.com/short/p1vqhd
1x 4PDT switch C&K 7401SYZBE https://www.digikey.com/short/p1vq95
1x dress nut C&K 776001201 https://www.digikey.com/short/p1vq9w
1x lockwasher C&K 700303202 https://www.digikey.com/short/p1vqbc
1x nut C&K 700201201 https://www.digikey.com/short/p1vqbj
Wire (I used some 22AWG solid I had on hand)

Imgur picture link:
https://imgur.com/a/oqSrbyp
Now THIS is some waranty-voiding DIY goodness. Will this make THEM roll their eyes? Maybe. +1 for @oryan_dunn . :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #54,934 of 150,256
But Saga is not Freya. I get the impression from various things I've read, that Freya sounds a whole lot better than Saga.
Which Saga and Freya exactly did you try -- original? S? +?

I own the Freya S so that's the one I used. Will get a Saga +. If it sounds blah I can always sell it - they fetch good prices.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #54,935 of 150,256
If you'd like, I can post a few pics and a write-up of what I did. The two cases it helps:
* Mono records, drops surface noise
* Hard panned early stereo. These are bad through speakers, terrible through headphones. (I don't have much of this, but my Dad has some.)
Oh man... I've got several blues CDs from 1960-1980 that are hard-panned and are annoying to listen to. A stereo-mono switch, even in software, would be very welcome.
A few years ago I used Audacity to make a few of those stereo tracks play in mono with pretty good results.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #54,938 of 150,256
Finnegan is helping me with the Christmas tree lights. The red areas are wires I spliced back together, soldered, and covered with heat shrink tubing. I have no idea how such breaks occur but eventually we will figure it out. Happy holidays to one and all!7D279E75-59D3-492F-9511-8ADF2D8DEDA8.jpeg

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #54,939 of 150,256
Random question for @Jason Stoddard , if and when he’s got time to answer. Is there any chance for a Schiit Multibit ADC, kind of like Mike’s GAIN system in an itty-bitty living space? It would certainly be a unique product and it would be very cool to be able to digitize vinyl records with this tech and play the files back with the same tech in reverse :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #54,940 of 150,256
Random question for @Jason Stoddard , if and when he’s got time to answer. Is there any chance for a Schiit Multibit ADC, kind of like Mike’s GAIN system in an itty-bitty living space? It would certainly be a unique product and it would be very cool to be able to digitize vinyl records with this tech and play the files back with the same tech in reverse :)

I can't find it right now, but I thought he had mentioned that they had no plans for a multibit ADC, as they discontinued the Jil because it was one of their worst selling products behind the Loki DSD DAC.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #54,941 of 150,256

I'm not the right person to answer this question of course. I am not Jason Stoddard, let alone Mike Moffat. But if I had to make a guess, although it would indeed be a very cool product, I don't see it happen. I think that only a few consumers would be interested enough to buy and use this product. This is much more a product aimed at recording studios (like Gain). But then Schiit would have to compete against well established products and brands that are used by many recording studios already. Not only that, support to professional users is different from support to consumers. Hence, Schiit would have to form a separate support group aimed at their professional customers. For that one product, hoping that it would sell enough. As I said, I don't see it happen.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #54,942 of 150,256
Finnegan is helping me with the Christmas tree lights. The red areas are wires I spliced back together, soldered, and covered with heat shrink tubing. I have no idea how such breaks occur but eventually we will figure it out. Happy holidays to one and all!

I think I know how those wire breaks happen!

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #54,943 of 150,256
I think I know how those wire breaks happen!
I had to pry one of the bulbs out of his mouth as well, it was lit at the time.:triportsad:

the cheap ornaments will go closer to the bottom of the tree for a reason.

This morn I am switching between several tube headphone amps and the Mjolnir 2 is holding its own which is saying a lot since other amps were tuned to my likes.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #54,944 of 150,256
I'll have my tube rolled MJ2 4 years in April 2016 and always considered it a keeper.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #54,945 of 150,256
I'll have my tube rolled MJ2 4 years in April 2016 and always considered it a keeper.

I have a few pairs I like but my current favorite is Reflector 6N23P’s from 1975. The silver shield version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back