Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #54,946 of 150,571
I have the “production-qualifier” (see note at bottom that I am quoting from @Torq) Jotunheim R on loan with the latest model Bifrost... I brought them to an impromptu meet-up put on by headphones.com, everyone was very impressed by the setup! It makes the SR1A very portable (well more so than before lol...I’m not dragging around my two Vidars to demo my SR1A lol).

I’m now personally biting at the bit to have this on my desk as my main source for my SR1A! It is more inline with a single Vidar in performance, but for me the form factor and functionality make this a worthy trade off, as a single Vidar is excellent, two just bring up the ability to have excess power (that in reality I don’t even use lol, as I’m a 75-85db range listener...with peaks in the 90db range). For me, this is the perfect SR1A setup, it fits easier into my setup and I find myself using the SR1A even more than before, something to be said about the ease of use of a system like this. Plus, I’m more inclined to take it along to future meets (once I have my own personal Jotunheim R). I may even have to do a custom pelican case that holds both the Jotunheim R and the SR1A for even easier transport.

The Bifrost...well, it is as advertised! One of the best DACs I’ve used! But, I think others are much better qualified to discuss it, I believe Torq has done some write ups here https://forum.headphones.com/t/schiit-bifrost-2-dac-official-thread/4074?

JOTrSR1a.jpeg

The note below is in regards to the Jotunheim R that is on preview to me by the good graces of Torq and @Jason Stoddard thank you both for the opportunity to have an extended listening opportunity along with allowing some of the other folks at the meetup.

NOTE: The unit here is what is referred to as a “production qualifier” (the last stage in R&D before a product is sent to formal production). What that means is that this unit is fully “production intent”; it is using all the same design, parts, spec, and suppliers/manufacturers as the production units will. And, unless issues or problems are found with these units, the next step is simply “Build more, just like these.” ~ Torq

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #54,948 of 150,571
I don’t think it’s even in Mike’s hands.... As far as I’ve understood it, it’s now down to ground-breaking programming of a mathematics PhD.

It's probably (according to remarks from @Baldr in interviews) in the hands of Ivana Andjelkovic PhD University of California, Santa Barbara.

Attachments

• ivana.jpg
    ivana.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #54,951 of 150,571
It's probably (according to remarks from @Baldr in interviews) in the hands of Ivana Andjelkovic PhD University of California, Santa Barbara.

I know, and this is the reason why I didn’t write that:
Wow! She looks smart!
Which has absolutely nothing to do with her (world-class) expertise.

Last time she was named, things escalated so far (and ugly) that even Mike did some deleting and banning.

Edited for bad quoting.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #54,952 of 150,571
Regardless of what she “looks like”, she apparently is very good at what she does. Glad to have her on team Schiit!

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #54,953 of 150,571
I am actually holding off on purchasing the Gungnir in hopes of a Unison upgrade for it .

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #54,954 of 150,571
I am actually holding off on purchasing the Gungnir in hopes of a Unison upgrade for it .
Per Jason, should be in January. For both Yggdrasil and Gungnir DACs.

Dec 23, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #54,956 of 150,571
Per Jason, should be in January. For both Yggdrasil and Gungnir DACs.

I cant remember the details here but would the Yggdrasil need to be sent back to Schiit for the Unison upgrade?

currently I have two Yggdrasil and I may want to upgrade one and do AB comparison

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #54,957 of 150,571
I cant remember the details here but would the Yggdrasil need to be sent back to Schiit for the Unison upgrade?

currently I have two Yggdrasil and I may want to upgrade one and do AB comparison
My understanding is that the Ygg...l upgrade will require a certain level of technical competence, but can be done without sending it back. Gungnir will need to be sent back.

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #54,958 of 150,571
I have the “production-qualifier” (see note at bottom that I am quoting from @Torq) Jotunheim R on loan with the latest model Bifrost... I brought them to an impromptu meet-up put on by headphones.com, everyone was very impressed by the setup! It makes the SR1A very portable (well more so than before lol...I’m not dragging around my two Vidars to demo my SR1A lol).

I’m now personally biting at the bit to have this on my desk as my main source for my SR1A! It is more inline with a single Vidar in performance, but for me the form factor and functionality make this a worthy trade off, as a single Vidar is excellent, two just bring up the ability to have excess power (that in reality I don’t even use lol, as I’m a 75-85db range listener...with peaks in the 90db range). For me, this is the perfect SR1A setup, it fits easier into my setup and I find myself using the SR1A even more than before, something to be said about the ease of use of a system like this. Plus, I’m more inclined to take it along to future meets (once I have my own personal Jotunheim R). I may even have to do a custom pelican case that holds both the Jotunheim R and the SR1A for even easier transport.

The Bifrost...well, it is as advertised! One of the best DACs I’ve used! But, I think others are much better qualified to discuss it, I believe Torq has done some write ups here https://forum.headphones.com/t/schiit-bifrost-2-dac-official-thread/4074?

The note below is in regards to the Jotunheim R that is on preview to me by the good graces of Torq and @Jason Stoddard thank you both for the opportunity to have an extended listening opportunity along with allowing some of the other folks at the meetup.

NOTE: The unit here is what is referred to as a “production qualifier” (the last stage in R&D before a product is sent to formal production). What that means is that this unit is fully “production intent”; it is using all the same design, parts, spec, and suppliers/manufacturers as the production units will. And, unless issues or problems are found with these units, the next step is simply “Build more, just like these.” ~ Torq

Interesting take on this, Torq's write up seems to place the Jot R way above 1x Vidar, 2x Vidar in dual mono, and other high end speaker amps. Yet yours says its performance is more inline with a single Vidar. Really not sure what to expect now, but looks like I'll have to just hear for myself.

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #54,959 of 150,571
Interesting take on this, Torq's write up seems to place the Jot R way above 1x Vidar, 2x Vidar in dual mono, and other high end speaker amps. Yet yours says its performance is more inline with a single Vidar. Really not sure what to expect now, but looks like I'll have to just hear for myself.

I would agree with Torq also.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #54,960 of 150,571

The Unison upgrade for the Jggy is a USB card swap out.
The version 2 upgrade for the Jggy along with the Gungnir (and others) require more extensive work and are not simply changing a single card.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back