Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #54,091 of 150,718
True, but when it comes down to it, we have to prove it if the FTC comes knocking. Plus, there are exactly zero US manufacturers of thin-film resistors, etc. So it's better to claim "Assembled in USA," and explain what we mean by that on every product page. Makes life a lot more sane.

Yes, sorry I was talking irrespective of made in the USA vs assembled in the USA. If origin of components is important to you, your brand, and what the public perception is of your brand then you could put wording in the contracts to reflect that, and help safeguard the things that are important to you. If you have folks traveling to verify assembly, it's obvious it's important to you on some level. How far you want to take it is your call and subject to the limitations of your suppliers. I'm not completely opposed to China (or any other countries) components making their way into yours or anyones products. The supply chain is complicated, and you aren't Samsung.

That said I like when stuff is made mined/grown/assembled here as much as possible. A better manufacturing base is better for all of us. Any further comment would be deemed politics, so I'll leave it at that.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #54,092 of 150,718
Yes, sorry I was talking irrespective of made in the USA vs assembled in the USA. If origin of components is important to you, your brand, and what the public perception is of your brand then you could put wording in the contracts to reflect that, and help safeguard the things that are important to you. If you have folks traveling to verify assembly, it's obvious it's important to you on some level. How far you want to take it is your call and subject to the limitations of your suppliers. I'm not completely opposed to China (or any other countries) components making their way into yours or anyones products. The supply chain is complicated, and you aren't Samsung.

That said I like when stuff is made mined/grown/assembled here as much as possible. A better manufacturing base is better for all of us. Any further comment would be deemed politics, so I'll leave it at that.

No, I hear you. But consider this: there are exactly ZERO US suppliers of thin-film SMD resistors (amongst other parts). No amount of wording will get around the fact that there are components that are not made in the USA by anyone. So getting a legit "Made in USA" just isn't possible. You can try to explain it to the FTC. I prefer to minimize my gray hair.

Agreed on keeping things local and having an actual manufacturing base...which is why we are careful to specify where things are made, literally on every single product page.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #54,093 of 150,718
Hey @Jason Stoddard , would you object to me writing this statement when I write about the Fulla 3/HEL?

"There's nothing more satisfying than a huge, beefy knob that is easily within reach, and is sensitive enough to account for minute manipulations. If only everything had large top knobs that could easily be controlled with little effort."

I have to ask because... I have juvenile friends, and it sounds like I'm talking about something else entirely. :smirk:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #54,094 of 150,718
No, I hear you. But consider this: there are exactly ZERO US suppliers of thin-film SMD resistors (amongst other parts). No amount of wording will get around the fact that there are components that are not made in the USA by anyone. So getting a legit "Made in USA" just isn't possible. You can try to explain it to the FTC. I prefer to minimize my gray hair.

Agreed on keeping things local and having an actual manufacturing base...which is why we are careful to specify where things are made, literally on every single product page.

Yes, I understand/understood that completely, sorry if my post above wasn't clear on that. That topic has been discussed here a time or two.

I merely meant if you do decide to start including origin wording in some supplier contracts you can head off matters like this afternoons conversation before they happen. Maybe have suppliers identify origin of parts in their bids. All depends on what kind of rabbit hole you like. :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #54,095 of 150,718
Yes, I understand/understood that completely, sorry if my post above wasn't clear on that. That topic has been discussed here a time or two.

I merely meant if you do decide to start including origin wording in some supplier contracts you can head off matters like this afternoons conversation before they happen. Maybe have suppliers identify origin of parts in their bids. All depends on what kind of rabbit hole you like. :)

Ah, got it!!!

That makes total sense, so I've passed this along to Alex.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #54,096 of 150,718
Hey @Jason Stoddard , would you object to me writing this statement when I write about the Fulla 3/HEL?

"There's nothing more satisfying than a huge, beefy knob that is easily within reach, and is sensitive enough to account for minute manipulations. If only everything had large top knobs that could easily be controlled with little effort."

I have to ask because... I have juvenile friends, and it sounds like I'm talking about something else entirely. :smirk:

Totally fine by me! (But then again, our name is Schiit, so.....)

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #54,098 of 150,718
Two (not quite serious answers):

1. Buy both, swap the boards, and send the other one back.*
2. Keep bugging us, we've already done all sorts of stuff we said we wouldn't do, why not this?**

*It's not like we'll notice...at least for a while. After that, expect an email from us asking "what the heck???"
**Sigh.

you know you are definitely in trouble when you run out of numbers AND letters for the serial numbers for all the customization options for each model. :)

aside: just noticed the "+" in the serial number for Freya+ preamps. no "normal" company would do that :wink:

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #54,099 of 150,718
I really like the black and red. To quote Alex: "It might sell better just because it looks cool."
About the colour I like the red and black more than the previous grey/black and silver because it is different in audio equipment. What I'd really like is a Schiit colour (whatever it is, even ugly brown), something no one else does, like Manley does with it's blue-ish equipments.
Schiit is supposed to be different than the others, isn't it?

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #54,100 of 150,718

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #54,101 of 150,718

lol... You might as well start another thread in which juvenile minds, such as mine, may contribute to your proposed statement so as not to drift this thread into oblivion.
No extra credit for pointing out that this thread already spins wildly out of control with very little provocation.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #54,102 of 150,718
Modi 3 was the best purchase I ever made in audio. I have been very impressed with it. I still prefer Asgard 2 over Asgard 3 though. I might give the Heresy a shot, but I will probably just lose on return shipping and re-stocking fee, when I go back to my Asgard 2... lol

Maybe not though, never know. Asgard 2 just suits my ears so well for some reason.

would magni 3 heresy be worth a try if i already own asgard 2? or just be happy with what i have?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #54,103 of 150,718
Alot of companies have wording in their contracts regarding origin of materials, with their suppliers. Granted many of the companies I deal with are worried about Nafta claims and have to calculate Regional Value Content, net cost, etc. But the safeguards they put into their terms to satisfy Nafta admissibility would transfer over pretty easily to what you are concerned about.
My company requires all suppliers to state and confirm country of origin for every component we buy.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #54,105 of 150,718
Modi 3 was the best purchase I ever made in audio...

Agree. I'm blown away by the soundstage and Dynamics of modi 3. It's just head and shoulders above the R2R-11 (my previous DAC, which got relegated to bedroom duty). It is breathing life into my old Vandies.

That said, I wouldn't mind a $150 modi 3+ that edges out the Topping D50 measurements wise :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back