Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #53,416 of 151,235
This is a great example of how little I know about microphones. If I ever decide to try a professional recording interface, run the other way!

Not having opened one of these things up, and not being an engineer, I expect it'd be filled with op-amps and other magic black boxes. And some of these things do 48 volt phantom power off of USB... (the one I linked has a dedicated power supply, but the lesser models don't). I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for you to do better. The software and drivers for these things are serious schiit though. Stay out of that mess!

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #53,417 of 151,235
Question. Would it make sense to ditch physical remotes and make it all app based? Here’s my case. You avoid multiple remotes that do look the same. When the CD transport comes we got more remotes. You could give more in-depth information on status, source, etc without adding anything physical to the face of the components. I say face because I have no idea what would be needed inside. I’ve gotten used to the ritual of flipping the switch on Vidar (that automatically switches Saga via a smart power strip). What I don’t like is remotes. I’d like to have my source control (Roon, Amazon, Tidal, etc.) and system control on one device - a tablet, phone or laptop. Thoughts? Arguments?

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #53,418 of 151,235
I think they have said many times that they don't want to get involved with user controllable software of any kind. I think infrared remote tech is very old, relatively easy, no maintenance, and probably cheap. Good luck overcoming those arguments with this company.

I'm just hoping to see a combination remote for saga&Freya and Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #53,419 of 151,235
Question. Would it make sense to ditch physical remotes and make it all app based? Here’s my case. You avoid multiple remotes that do look the same. When the CD transport comes we got more remotes. You could give more in-depth information on status, source, etc without adding anything physical to the face of the components. I say face because I have no idea what would be needed inside. I’ve gotten used to the ritual of flipping the switch on Vidar (that automatically switches Saga via a smart power strip). What I don’t like is remotes. I’d like to have my source control (Roon, Amazon, Tidal, etc.) and system control on one device - a tablet, phone or laptop. Thoughts? Arguments?

You could get a small Bluetooth to IR blaster and code your remote to it. I do this to run my Integrated amps on my smartphone, works like a charm

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #53,421 of 151,235
Share a link on that please. Not familiar with what you are talking about.

I use something like this. You need to code each remote to the hub. It'll work with amps, AC units, anything that can be coded on an IR receiver.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #53,422 of 151,235
The IR blaster is the Harmony model and it does work but it can have issues. Fighting with my Harmony after my Apple TV updated. I think it’s a good model though, especially if you are only concerned with controlling product from just one company. The Harmony app is poorly conceived but it works. That is the model but it could be better executed. Is it just that hardware manufacturers don’t know anything about UI design?

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #53,423 of 151,235
Why can't you add in a power indicator on the front panel? I'm sure many of your fans like to have this option.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #53,424 of 151,235
Heretic!! I've know Muad'dib since I was 16. Course that was 1966. I take it I don't want to Google Devon Tread!!
220px-Heretics_of_Dune-Frank_Herbert_(1984)_First_edition.jpg

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #53,426 of 151,235
OK gotta ask this. How much better is the classic bifrost multibit than the current modi-multibit? seems like for only $100 extra dollars this could be a f%$#in' good deal!

See current b-stock for what I mean:
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

even better deal is the Classic Stack (both in black) if you are looking for an Asgard2 as well (for $99 more.).

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #53,427 of 151,235
OK gotta ask this. How much better is the classic bifrost multibit than the current modi-multibit? seems like for only $100 extra dollars this could be a f%$#in' good deal!

See current b-stock for what I mean:
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

even better deal is the Classic Stack (both in black) if you are looking for an Asgard2 as well (for $99 more.).

I think the USB alone makes it a better option then the modi multibit. USB gen 5 is supposed to be very good, and you would be able to send it in for Unison, or do it yourself (if qualified)..

I am in for about 165 on my goodwill Bifrost. Had I not already sunk money in that, and a fulla 3 the other week I would have leapt at the Bimby stack.

The 4490 is very good, I would place it slightly above modi multibit in terms of detail, resolution, and decay while being slightly below modi multibit in terms of image depth, and fullness/richness of sound.

I would expect the Bifrost multibit to best both.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #53,429 of 151,235
Have displays ever been considered?
Yes, for the transport.

Possible that the transport will transport anything besides bits that originate on a plastic disc? Like for instance bits that originate over a network connection, hm?

Come to think of it, "transport" may be the wrong name for something that mostly reads an optical disk (or a vinyl disk). Maybe "reader" is the more apt term?

What's BEYOND multibit?
More multibit!

That should be MOAR multibit, skal det ikke?

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #53,430 of 151,235

Users who are viewing this thread

Back