Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #52,906 of 152,206
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #52,907 of 152,206
Does it become purple?

It can be...
il_fullxfull.850665661_rtay.jpg

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #52,908 of 152,206
I did a direct comparison between 2 sets of 3 'identically made' power cables using cheap chineseium copper, gold, and rhodium plated connectors.
The rhodium won hands down in my system, it was rather obvious.

Then I cryo'd one set and compared the 2 sets to each other.
Again the cryo'd set using the rhodium connectors won hands down and it handily beat the un-cryo'd set.

I then cooked the best of the lot (the rhodium and gold sets) and then compared them again.
The cryo'd rhodium set extended it's 'lead' over the rest.

This then has become my 'standard' build procedure ever since.

ps each cable cost ≈ $35 for the materials.

JJ

Awesome. Now you've "improved" a 6 foot piece of power cable. What are you doing about the tens or hundreds of feet of cable in your walls?

My standard build procedure involves exactly 8 minutes of loving kindness meditation towards the gear I'm installing. It really* works.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #52,909 of 152,206
Awesome. Now you've "improved" a 6 foot piece of power cable. What are you doing about the tens or hundreds of feet of cable in your walls?

My standard build procedure involves exactly 8 minutes of loving kindness meditation towards the gear I'm installing. It really* works.
rhodium and gold plated versions may have sounded better not because of the contact material, but because they are slightly thicker vs. the un-plated bare copper terminals, so they fit tighter, making better contact. what about the terminals in the wall receptacle- is it original (perhaps decades old) or replaced with spec grade or special 'audiopile' approved version?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #52,910 of 152,206

What's in the walls is what's in the walls. If you can improve the sound by changing what's between the wall and the component, then you've improved the sound. Maybe it's subtle, maybe it's minor, but if the person doing it thinks it's an improvement, then it's an improvement to them. If it isn't of importance to you, so what?

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #52,911 of 152,206
The start of a small footprint headphone stand to go with a Schiit mini rack. Copper and cherry are unfinished as of yet and I am missing a couple pipe caps but you get the idea. Simple to make, few tools needed.

That's pretty cool! I might have some concerns it would walk off with my headphones though... :slight_smile:

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #52,912 of 152,206
The start of a small footprint headphone stand to go with a Schiit mini rack. Copper and cherry are unfinished as of yet and I am missing a couple pipe caps but you get the idea. Simple to make, few tools needed.

how are the fittings joined? epoxy? solder? tubing dimpled and then press fit?

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #52,913 of 152,206
That's pretty cool! I might have some concerns it would walk off with my headphones though... :slight_smile:

Your mini rack is so pretty I am adding accessories to mine, including purple cables.:o2smile:

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #52,914 of 152,206
how are the fittings joined? epoxy? solder? tubing dimpled and then press fit?

Well I have not polished the copper yet so right now, they are stuck together lol. I am just doing the layout and making sure lengths are proper.

I will most likely epoxy them, as careful as I am soldering, it can still show.

This is nothing fancy, just using up small pieces of wood and copper pipe.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #52,915 of 152,206

I have also looked into and experimented with "the tens or hundreds of feet of cable in your walls" as well and have optimized and documented my results.
These results are posted in the Cookbook thread, to wit…
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-43#post-12738982
and
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-92#post-14746426

These 2 series of tests reveal what improvements can be made not only by power cables, but also what can be achieved by those "tens or hundreds of feet of cable in your walls".
And to a certain extent why there is any improvement, and certainly can be an answer that can be clearly understood.

TL;DR A critical factor in all of this is the ability of the ac power delivery system to supply BIG current to our audio gear in short dual ≈ 3ms pulses out of our 60Hz (US power) line voltage. This includes the outside step down transformer and the cabling that feeds our homes, along with the main breaker panel, the branch circuit we use to feed our audio gear, the duplex receptacles, our power cables, even the fuses that are inline with this delivery of power into our gear.

So yes I have looked into this, extensively, and documented the results and optimized the power delivery into my gear and have gained the subsequent improvements as a result.
And yes, that last 6' of cabling is but one aspect of the whole picture, and is one that I can and have made improvements to and it certainly can make a difference.

And of course YMMV.

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #52,916 of 152,206
Your mini rack is so pretty I am adding accessories to mine, including purple cables.:o2smile:

Wait. That's not fair. Damnit. Now I have to go buy some purple sleeve. But I'm gonna have mine cryo treated first, so it will be better. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #52,917 of 152,206
Wait. That's not fair. Damnit. Now I have to go buy some purple sleeve. But I'm gonna have mine cryo treated first, so it will be better. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Lol, maybe cook it then freeze it. Works for some foods.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #52,920 of 152,206
Yes!! Plus a bunch of other cool colors...

Example:

Very nice, I seem to recall as steel is heated it turns the colors of the rainbow, in the proper order. I am curious if other metals do the same. My daughters boyfriend has a masters in metallurgy, I will have to ask him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back