The DIY'rs Cookbook
Jul 19, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #631 of 1,974
Yeah I added a Synergistic Research Quantum fuse, not even a Red nor a Black (the latest and greatest versions) to the RedNet3.
It sits inside on the SMPS board under a plastic 'enclosure'.

The stock fuse is a 5x20mm, 2 amp slowblow.

And the thing is fuses may take several hours to 'settle in' and these do seem to be polarized (directional), so if the SQ doesn't start to improve after ≈ 2hrs of use then reverse it and listen again.

One way will be 'Better'.

JJ

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #632 of 1,974
  Yeah I added a Synergistic Research Quantum fuse, not even a Red nor a Black (the latest and greatest versions) to the RedNet3.
It sits inside on the SMPS board under a plastic 'enclosure'.

The stock fuse is a 5x20mm, 2 amp slowblow.

And the thing is fuses may take several hours to 'settle in' and these do seem to be polarized (directional), so if the SQ doesn't start to improve after ≈ 2hrs of use then reverse it and listen again.

One way will be 'Better'.

JJ

Aha!  That makes sense of the "SRQ" acronym then!  (No doubt obvious to those that routinely dabble in such things).

I'll have to give it a go once I get my RedNet 3 out of it's box, configured, and working.  This might be delayed further but the imminent arrival (aka later today) of the penultimate round of upgrades to my speaker system, but we shall see!

Looking forward to seeing where you settle (at least for a while) with tweaks to your AOIP setup!

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #633 of 1,974
Oh and I should add that the Silver Statement AES cable has 260hrs and the fuse has 80hrs.

Swapping out the fuse is no big deal, especially with your 'hands on' skill sets.
And I figure if someone REALLY wants to decode any of 'our' abbreviations they'll ask. 
atsmile.gif

And we all so love to use them as often as possible,
It seems.
atsmile.gif

And my list of tweaks is fairly short and I'm almost ready to try the final experiment, after which the tweaks will be complete, well at least for now… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #635 of 1,974
Oooops, your right!

That 260hrs is the AS Statement Silver AES cable

Lemme fix that…

JJ

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #636 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?

Part 23-A             ASCC test results, Wait, What?

As I stated in Part 22, this topic is somewhat dependent upon what I mentioned about fuses and current flow.
And ASCC is ALL about current flow.

So what is ASCC?
It stands for Available Short Circuit Current.

Available Short Circuit Current is an electricians proof of performance test of the ‘health’ of electrical power systems. It seems to be used mostly with branch circuits found in commercial buildings and homes.  And it’s mostly used as a diagnostic tool to determine if there are any ‘problems’ in a branch circuit and can be used to troubleshoot where the problems may be found.

This test essentially calculates the ability of the circuit under test, to deliver near instantaneous amounts of current during a hot-neutral ‘dead short’ (aka. “bolted fault”).  
ASCC test results are calculated by dividing the line voltage by the circuit’s line impedance, (by adding the Ω of the hot + neutral wires together).
This test is useful in that it determines how much power the selected branch circuit can deliver, but doing so without even the possibility of tripping the circuit breaker.

Note: a circuit breaker trips, not by over heating then melting a wire like a fuse does, but by building enough magnetic energy in a coil to ‘trip’ its internal ‘breaker switch’.  This process takes more time and energy than a fuse and so behaves differently.  And one of these behavioral differences is the ability of a breaker to pass large amounts of current, for a short duration.  This salient fact is of interest to us because of this ability to deliver short duration high amplitude current bursts, without tripping (circuit breaker) or self destructing (fuse), and this behavior specifically matches the needs of our diode bridge switched power supplies quite well.

But for our uses, ASCC tests will tell us how much current can be dumped into the power supply, VERY quickly, like in mS, before that coil in the circuit breaker trips.
This ability to dump current quickly becomes much more significant when we delve into fuses and how they respond to current and also what criteria the manufacturers use to rate their fuses.
This amount of current flow is the ‘raw’ power that the duplex receptacle we are plugged into can deliver when asked for.
So the question then becomes how much current can be ‘delivered’ in a very minuscule amount of time, coincident with the question of how much is ‘enough’?  And is moar always better?

So the next series of related experiments were aimed at generating further data.
Namely, how much current is available at the duplex receptacle we plug our gear into?
And
Can a power cable alone make any measurable difference?
And
Does the amount of available current have any correlation with the SQ of our systems?

Note: I originally saw this test performed by Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research in one of their online videos.  I then researched the tool he used and found a less expensive and readily available tester to use for my experiments.

And since I have been tweaking/modifying my dedicated branch circuit that feeds my audio system, it was easy to also measure the ‘standard’ branch circuits in my house to see what, if any, differences could be found with them as well.

And as I continued to generate test results, a pattern emerged from the data, as I dove into the deep end of this pool while using the EXTECH CT-70 Circuit Analyzer to perform the ASCC and other relevant tests. And I performed multiple tests over many days as a means of verifying the readings.  

The comparison between my house’s built in power distribution vs. the dedicated lines I added (computer & audio), did reveal differences between these different branch circuits.  And then there is the progression of the measurements starting with the standard appliance cord (AppCord see below), and my DIY G-1 & G-4 cables and and also my Shunyata (Python & A-D) and Marigo cables, and a cable I used as a reference.  

So this is but the first of several such data extractions from all of the data I collected.  And the thing is since I couldn’t get this Analyzer calibrated I must assume that the absolute values of these test result numbers are suspect and the rated 2.5% +0.2% accuracy as listed by EXTECH is ‘close’ enough.  And really all I am expecting to see are trends and ∆ change comparisons.

The layout I came up with displays all of the data I collected under the conditions as listed.  
This first graphic is a ‘narrow view’ of just 2 locations in my house, the bathroom CFGI receptacle and a standard duplex receptacle in the wall in the living room.

I’ll start by filling in much of the significance and meaning behind this layout and add more later as we drill further down into all of this.

So starting in the upper left hand corner is Cable # and then as we move right in that row we see REF cable (twice).
        Note: REF cable means the supplied by EXTECH 14gauge Stubby (12”) appliance type cable.  This is a good choice because it’s short and 14gauge.  These 2 factors will be more relevant later.

Then next we have, (as we move down the left side one row)
Cable Name and in that row we see
Stubby - 14g, G-4-r - 13g, and AppCord - 18g.
These are the 3 cables I used during testing at these 2 initial locations (see next row description).
The Stubby has been explained above and the AppCord is a standard appliance power cable that comes with our gear.  
But the G-4-r is my DIY 4th generation cable with rhodium connectors that has been cryo treated and cooked.

Next row down is,
Location all equipment was running which shows 2 locations,
bathroom CFGI and Standard duplex recept post & pilr rev pol.
The bathroom CFGI is self explanatory but the “Standard duplex recept post & pillar rev pol” means a standard in the wall duplex receptacle being fed by post and pillar wiring that is reversed polarized (hot - neutral reversed and has no ground connection).

And these tests were made with a normal household electrical load running my computer and audio system etc., (nothing was shut down to ‘help’ the readings).
And this condition of running with the normal electrical load while making these tests applies to all of the measurements I took.

Next row down is where we start listing test results, starting with,
Voltage tests         L-N (line to neutral) voltage measurement
units in AC Volts    N-G (neutral to ground) this should be at or near 0.3 volts, the minimum resolution
                             Peak (not rms voltage)   

Then we have,
Voltage Drop     12a    These readings are indications of this circuits performance where a 5% or greater
units in            15a    drop in voltage during the test is considered ‘poor’, and where the Analyzer ‘loads’
                            20a    the circuit with 3 levels of current ‘demand’.     
Next is,
Impedance         Z-L (Hot Ω)        These are calculated resistance readings that are a
units in Z-Ω         Z-N (Neutral Ω)    reflection of the amount of resistance that each of these 3
                            Z-G (Ground Ω)    wires have.

And finally the whole enchilada,
Kilo-Amps            ASCC        These are calculated results showing how much current is                         
                                                 available based upon the ASCC test procedure.

Now what does any of this mean you ask?
Well a more complete analysis, let alone any conclusions, will follow, in Part 23-B thru E of this ‘Better’ series.

But for now lets just say that the post and pillar wiring in my house is ‘poor’ and so the ‘need’ for dedicated runs to power my computer and my audio system was sorely needed.
And this is a good place to start and establish a baseline set of readings to use to compare with other tests.

JJ

End Part 23-A              

Next up         Part 23-B   Deeper down the rabbit hole we go

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #637 of 1,974
When I was reading thru a thread it was mentioned that the ethernet cables should be as short as possible.
Or at least one of them should be, etc.

Do you remember those details?
Specifically how short is short?
Like less than 3 ft?

JJ

Both eth cables gotta be exactly 23cm long. You've been warned! :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #638 of 1,974
Both eth cables gotta be exactly 23cm long. You've been warned!
smily_headphones1.gif

OMG… 
blink.gif

What will happen if only one of them is 24cm???

Will it form a quantum singularity and suck all of my music into a black hole?

Oh the horror…  
popcorn.gif

JJ   
atsmile.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #640 of 1,974
Nope .. but the holy ground quantum loop just might
wink.gif

A "holy ground quantum loop"…

Wouldn't that just lead to inexhaustible quantum energy caught forever in an unbalanced loop?

I sense a get rich quick scheme buried in here somewhere… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #641 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?

Part 23-B

ASCC test results, Deeper down the rabbit hole we go.

So we left off with a description of the type of data, along with the particulars of where and how we collected it from those 2 ‘standard’ ac power receptacles in my house.
Here is that graphic again.

pic #1 ExP&P+.jpg

And now I’ll add some meaning and analysis to this data.
But first as you look at the graphic there are the 3 rows showing Out of Range which is due to the fact that this branch circuit (using post and pillar wiring) is wired backwards and is not grounded, so the Analyzer flags these tests as Out of Range meaning, ‘nothing to see here folks move along…’

And so next we’ll look at the test data, starting at the bottom with the ASCC results.

You’ll notice that these numbers are higher than what a ‘standard’ 20 amp branch circuit should deliver, even the lowest numbers are 0.26 kAmps (260 amps) and extend up to 0.42 (420 amps).
And that there are 2 numbers for each cable being tested separated by a “/“.
This shows us the difference between when the ground wire is added into the “Bolted Short” where all 3 wires L & N & G are all shorted together or where only the L & N are involved.
And as you might guess a larger number usually results when the ground is added into the mix.
But you’ll also notice that since there is no ground at the post and pillar fed duplex receptacle the 2nd number (after the /) isn’t much different.

Also you’ll notice that as the wire gauge gets more beefy, and shorter, the ASCC the test results improve.
This is also reflected in the Impedance readings (with one exception).
You’ll see that as the Z-L numbers drop the ASCC numbers climb as do the Z-N numbers (except for the AppCord).

The voltage drop numbers also improve as the wire gauge gets bigger and the length gets shorter (Stubby) as well.
And you’ll see that as the current demand increase (from 12 amp to 20 amp) the % of loss increases for each cable as well.

And really these results shouldn’t be any surprise, since most know that as the wire size gets bigger and the wire lemgth shortens, both result in ‘Better’, ie. greater peak current capacity.
IOW well D’Uh!
Only now we have some #’s to back up these generally held beliefs.

Bottom line is the wiring in my house is ‘poor’ since all of these tests tell us that there is greater than 5% loss regardless of cable or current demand.

And another aspect to be aware of here is that this is a 20 amp service, meaning the circuit breaker is designed to trip with a 20 amp load, yet we are seeing up to 420 amps as an ASCC measurement.

What does this mean?
It relates directly back to that coil that trips the breaker switch will allow much greater amounts of current to flow, For A Very Short Duration.
This topic will become more relevant as we continue.

And up next is another graphic of a data set that looks at my dedicated computer power feed using the very same 3 cables.

JJ

End Part 23-B

Next up Part 23-C Whooa A Change Up

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #642 of 1,974
Just a note…

I just added a list of all the re-purposed terms I've been writing about to the 1st post (at the end).
And I'll add links to their respective posts in due course.

JJ

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #643 of 1,974
So a progress report on the RN-3 and associated gear.
Statement Silver cable ≈ 430hrs  fuse ≈ 250hrs

On the 22nd the SQ took a nose dive into the toilet (aka Toilet Dump).
And tonight it is rebounding back with a vengeance and I'm glad because I was figuring it would be for a few more days before the SQ would start to blossom, again.

And it's interesting in that this TD episode is revealing just how much of an improvement these RedNet boxes really do make.
I mean even when the soundstage went 2d and the bass dried up, my head was still HB&W and T3 was still moving my happy feet.
AND I could discern that the improvement these ethernet boxes are making takes the 3d aspect of each 'Voice' into a truly tightly 3d shape defined area of the soundstage from where it emerges.
IOW there is a front, back, top, and bottom along with a distinct 'shape' of the 'Voice' in space depending upon the nature of the 'Voice' itself.

For example a piano has a broad 'spread', an electric guitar a much more dense placement, a drum set has location specific sources based upon what is being whacked (toms, snares, cymbals etc.) and the 'spread' of organic 'Voices' (singers) changes shape, which reflects their position and orientation WRT to the mic they are singing into.

These are but a few examples of the resolution and the degree of focus that these RedNet boxes are capable of delivering.

JJ

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #644 of 1,974
  But for now lets just say that the post and pillar wiring in my house is ‘poor’ and so the ‘need’ for dedicated runs to power my computer and my audio system was sorely needed.

How do you fix 'poor' wiring in a random house? I'm curious how one goes about setting the dedicated runs to power audio equipment, as right now I'm not quite sure how it would go...

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #645 of 1,974
One small thing I did more to fix a tripping issue was clean up and re screw the terminal wires on the ring.
Not the same as a dedicated line to the fuse board. . But it helped....
Just tell the wife so she doesn't turn it back on when your are sanding wires....and terminal blocks ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back