The DIY'rs Cookbook
Jul 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #616 of 1,974
Yeah the use of a 2 amp slow blow fuse is probably one of the reasons for the heightened SQ.

I'm still in the process of evaluating fuses and need to take it to the next level.

The isoclean fuse has a slight glassy nature which becomes more pronounced when 'pushed'.
This is heard when sibilants are apparent in the recording.

Next up is either a SR Quantum or…

And I have all of the parts now to make up my AES3 breakout cable.
Right now I'm cooking the cables and making adapters and getting the system ready for using these new (to me) digital audio paths to my dac.

JJ

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #617 of 1,974
So right now I'm running a HiFi tuning gold fuse.
It's ok, not great, but nothing 'sticks out', but then again it is missing some of the inner details that the previous 2 fuses had.

BUT!!!!!
I just built up a AES3 breakout cable using 2 different commercial grade 110Ω cables, (Mogami 3080 and Canare DA-202).

The SPDIF cable is an Oyaide DR-510 cable that has lots of hrs on it which I borrowed from Curbfeeler (Thanks!)
And I can easily and quickly switch from SPDIF to the AES3 inputs on my dac.

Um, er, uhhhhh,
The more hrs I put on even this commercial grade cable the wider the gap becomes between these 2 digital audio paths.

And even before I donned my 800's I was hearing nuances and aspects on my $40 speakers that were new.

Now with just a tad bit more time the AES3 cables are becoming even more compelling, involving, and  SuperGlue has been upgraded with 'New and Improved' and is now SupperDuperGlue.

This is simply an amazing 'upgrade'.
I'm hearing altogether new aspects of the music I'm very familiar with, again.

And I still have the Audio grade 110Ω (Statement Silver) cable to finish cooking and wire up to a DB-25 connector, which I suspect will be yet another step up, again.

If any of you are running a RedNet box and/or have an AES3 output to feed your dac, I HIGHLY recommend comparing it to SPDIF for yourself to experience the differences.

I can hear why Mike Moffet prefers AES3 over any other digital audio format.

And all of this 'Better' thus far is based upon 3 star albums.

VERY Interesting Times in Audio Indeed.

JJ

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #619 of 1,974
Yes, an 'audio' balanced cable should work based upon how much digital traffic is being sent.
And for just our audio needs (44.1 to 192KB) it should work, based upon the quality of the gear it will be plugged into.

The thing is an AES3 cable is designed for Mhz and higher frequency response with a 'known' response curve.
We are after all sending square waves at way above normal audio bandwidth frequencies (20Hz - 20KHz) which generate much higher harmonics.

Which means if the audio balanced cable has hi frequency limitations (bandwidth limited) either by design or just due to low cost considerations (cheap wire) it may have some impact upon the SQ.
What results those might be I can't say, since I have not tried it.

And that would be another good test for me to undertake, once I get this new cable all dialed in, to try a 'regular' 3pin XLR cable instead of a 110Ω cable.
But since I can't just plug a 'regular' balanced audio cable XLR-M & F into my rig, perhaps some one else might try this experiment, perhaps even you! 
atsmile.gif

But it certainly won't hurt anything, electronically speaking.
Just don't crank on the MOAR knob right away, just to be sure nothing weird happens.

JJ

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #620 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?

Part 22             Fuses and current draw.

This topic has elements of several topics previously brought up, along with a few that will be followed up later with more details.
So it can be looked at as a bridge of sorts between previous related topics and those yet to come.
Because the underlying concept we are dealing with here is essentially the delivery of power which is converted into the musical signal for our ears.

IOW the ac power from the wall socket that we connect to, is transformed into our acoustic experience by the gear we have chosen to use.
And my experience has shown me that removing CP’s from this ac power distribution system does yield improvements in the overall SQ.
I have been exploring, experimenting with many aspects of this for quite some time now and the results are cumulative and ‘Better’.

It might be instructive to repeat my definition of a CP here,
“This term refers to any portion of a system that limits the conversion from electrical power, to signal, to acoustic power in an audible way.”

And it took several attempts to modify my ac power distribution system before I actually was rewarded with ‘Better’.  
And I later learned about reaching that threshold where a major CP was ‘fixed’, enough, so that subsequent experiments, where changes of any kind were able to be heard, at all, so that I was even able to tell if they were truly ‘Better’, or not.

It stared out by trying several ac duplex receptacles, from cheap (but new) ¢99 hardware store ones to contractor grade, to hospital grade, to ‘hi-end’ name brand commercial units, such as Hubbell etc.
None of these made ANY difference, at all.
Then in my research I stumbled upon a source of a top of the line Hubbell receptacle that had been cryo treated and cooked on an industrial strength Audio Dharma cable cooker.

WOOOO, immediate, obvious, undeniably, ‘BETTER’,
in every way and in no uncertain terms.
This then led to exploring ac power cables where I wound up making a set of Bottlehead ac power cable ‘kits’.
And again ‘Better’.
Then I started fussing with using better materials, all copper UL rated wire and Chinese knock off (2nd’s) connectors.
Again ‘Better’.

Then I cryo treated these hot rodded cables and cooked them on the Audio Dharma cooker.
And again ‘Better’, every step of the way and in every instance.

Then I went to a headfi meet and learned that fuses were something to try to see if they too were ‘Better’.
So I ordered up replacement fuses (synergistic quantum) for my PWD, which already had upgraded fuses (they had gold end caps) and for my Schiit Mojo amp.
Again ‘Better’.

And by ‘Better’ I use my repurposed terms that describe improvements in sonic aspects as detailed in my previous posts, to determine what is ‘Better’.
And each time I made a change I piled on the hours and kept track of the changes and how much time they took to fully settle in.
And about this time I also started playing with WAQy chips.
First the fuse chips,
Better’.
Then the cable chips,
Better
Then transformer chips,
Better
Then I soldered the romex splices together.
and MOAR ‘Better’…

And ALL of this was aimed at the ac power distribution dedicated branch circuit, straight from my panel to feed only my audio system (amp and dac), all of a whopping ≈75 watts.

Every time I removed CP’s, the SQ improved and this was only dealing with the power feed (hardware store romex cable) to these 2 devices and the cryo treated Hubbell duplex receptacles.
Then I added my DIY power cables, the quantum fuses and adding WAQY chips to the fuses, cables, and power transformer(s).
But every step of the way it got ‘Better’.

This was as far as I went.
Sometimes the changes were really ‘BETTER’, sometimes just ‘Better’ and some were only ’better’.

But the cumulative effect was ‘Better’ and then ‘BETTER’, and then ‘BETTER’ and then ‘BETTER’ as more and more CP’s were fixed, removed, or ameliorated in one way or another.

And again this is ONLY dealing with the ac power being supplied to these 2 units all the way up to the power transformer in the units themselves.

IOW all I was doing was seeing if removing CP’s from the power being fed to my system would have beneficial results, and the SQ kept getting “Better’.

But I had to bust thru that initial CP barrier of my spec grade duplex receptacle, FIRST.

This entire chain of experiments is still ongoing in that my curiosity is now aimed at WHY…
Why can such a small amount of current draw be so effected by a chain of such seemingly small changes to the power distribution system and be so beneficial.
This has led me to investigating the actual current draw that occurs inside the primary and secondary’s of the transformers and how that feeds the diode bridge(s).

And from a ’standard’ electrical POV all of this should have been worked out long ago.
Except these questions remain, why do these changes make ANY difference to the SQ, AT ALL?

I aim to continue to pursue this investigation, because something just doesn’t add up here.
And now that I have a ‘decent’ scope all that is missing is a specific type of probe to be able to observe and measure the voltage and current flow being fed by my dedicated AC branch circuit.

So it isn’t just fuses that I’ve fussed with but the entire AC supply from the panel thru to the transformers, and fuses are by far the easiest to experiment with and perhaps if others notice an improvement, they too might explore other aspects of this often ignored or neglected aspect of our playback systems.

JJ

End Part 22              Next up         ASCC

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #621 of 1,974
Lol I just spent half an hour on CA on a fuse thread post...
My simple thinking JJ is not the electrical evidence of change. But sound output change. I am not taking anything away from your on going excellent papers in experiments.
My thoughts to remove doubt, are taking away the human bias of listening and prove the sound change is different.
The old 'pick your flavour in distortion'.....
I value you opinion very much even though human language cannot express in one for one emotion.
But a sensitive mic and change to out putted sound. ??

If synergistic took their untreated fuse and replaced in a rig show there is change then there is no more arguments of snake oil magic.

But does it give as you have shown, an added pleasurable positive change ?...

I sincerely hope I haven't insulted or taken anything away from this set of experimenting.

Keep up the good work as aways and keep making me think

Kind regards
Dave

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #622 of 1,974
When I was performing these experiments my determination of 'Better' is based upon sonic improvements, not electrical ones.
I don't have anywhere near enough instrumentation to even begin to try to capture electrical changes with sufficient sensitivity so as to be able to make that sort of determination.

And I doubt while only using simplistic electrical measurements (sine, square, impulse waves), any determination of change would even be observable.
And using more complex signals (music) would be even more difficult to capture such changes using instrumentation.

So I rely upon my calibrated sense of hearing, which in the final analysis is really the only one that truly matters anyway.

JJ
ps no offense taken, I figure we're all trying to learn and come to understand the what's and why's and wherefore's of all of this and then apply this understanding as best we can. 
atsmile.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #624 of 1,974
RedNet 3 status report.
At ≈ 589hrs on the RN3 and 115hrs on the Silver AES3 cable, the SQ is beginning to peak again, which coincides with a ≈125hr peak that commonly happens.

This is taking Spooky/Scary to whole new levels of whooooow…

I need to let it sharpen up its focus a bit more yet, but these latest tweaks are beyond mere SuperGlue because now there is SuperDuperGlue.

I thought I had articulate and deep and powerful bass before.
The concussive effects of cannons/guns is most impressive, as is thunder and organ pedal notes.

JJ

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #625 of 1,974
My take on Cable Cooking

And how it seems to work and what is ‘Better’ about using this process.

Recently, in another thread I mentioned, repeatedly, about the benefits of cooking USB cables and subsequently there were a few incredulous expressions of surprise…

So I figure I’ll present this overview of what I’ve learned, over the past few years, while using ‘cooked cables’.

What this Audio Dharma Cable Cooker does is throw current at the wires, and in enough quantity to ‘saturate’ the entire cable, in a sustained and continuously variable way, in order to ‘condition’ the conductors and non-conductors as well.

And in my research, the non-conductor(s) are as important, perhaps even more so, than the conductor(s), as strange as that may sound.
And since these cookers ‘condition’ both, and for a sufficient duration (10’s of hours), the entire cable is effectively ‘conditioned’.

Now let me give you my take on what ‘conditioning’ means.

What this device does is throw a swept square wave signal from 0Hz up to 40KHz (plus the full range of upper harmonics that square waves generate), back and forth at a set current, independent of the ‘load’ that the wires present.

What these signals are doing at these ‘elevated’ currents (120mA for signal wires & 1.88 Amps for speaker and ac power cables etc.) is essentially scrambling the 2 types of conductors, but especially the non-conductor, the dielectric material.
And by scrambling I mean erasing whatever their intrinsic electromagnetic and electrostatic nature is.

And this ties into my comments about break-in where the materials now performing their respective tasks are doing so for the first time after being assembled.
As such they are ‘acclimating’ to the sum total of the new electrical environment, that they were designed to operate in.
And these cookers accelerate and expand this acclimation process by using greater amounts of voltage and current than would normally be present on these cables

So in one case we have an analog signal with varying voltage and current flowing thru wires and in relatively small amounts, that can be rather dynamic in terms of voltage swings and involving complex harmonic patterns of both voltage and current.
And in another case we have a ‘fixed’ ac voltage with a non-regular pattern for current flow.
And these voltages and currents are establishing the ‘normal’ ranges of the amounts of the electrostatic and electromagnetic fields that these cables will be carrying while we use them in our systems.

So I figure these cookers are performing a master ‘reset’ of the voltage and current carrying properties of the cables.

Now I say this because I have experienced my cables, and multiples of them, both before and after being cooked and WAY later as well…
And thus far there hasn’t been a cable that doesn’t perform ‘Better’ after being cooked.
A bold statement perhaps, but it is what I have observed.
And I’m not the only one who has come to this understanding.

In fact I wouldn’t have purchased the Shunyata cables if I hadn’t cooked them first.
Because while my modded ‘kit cables’ didn’t have the same degree of focus, they did allow the very bottom end to come thru.
And only after cooking did these $$$$ cables perform ‘Better’ than my DIY’r special cables, in every way.

And yeah there are a couple of draw backs, to cooking cables, which are…
The cables loose their ‘magic’ after about a year and revert back to acting like normal cables again.
This of course simply won’t do, so all the cables need to be re-cooked, and on a regular basis to re-charge the invisible quantum invariant pixie dust, so tunes stay tweaked.  :D
And 2, these cookers are spendy, like $1K for this industrial strength version.
And the cables still need to go thru break-in after being cooked.

So as far as the effectiveness of cooking cable goes, I find this process indispensable, that is if you are in pursuit of finding out just how far a set of 800’s can truly scale.

Is this going to an extreme?
Well I suppose so, but until you have experienced what cooked cables will do, well words will never fully convey what the net effect truly is.

But I can say that when the cables revert back to ‘stock’ condition, the realization can be somewhat ‘stark’ to say the least, as in the SQ goes flat and looses much of the dynamics and the very bottom end drys up and becomes a distant memory…

And to that end, if there are a few who’d like to experiment further, PM me and perhaps we can work out a way I can cook a cable or 2… for you to try.

JJ

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #627 of 1,974
Most would just see it as yet another 'box' with wires so under 'standard' domesticity rules it should be 'hidden'.

I'm fortunate enough to not live by the 'standard' rules. 
atsmile.gif

And I do make a mean dish of West Seattle Soul Food, besides tasty cables… 
wink_face.gif

JJ

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #629 of 1,974
Last night was a 1st.

I was listening to tunes and right in the middle of a chord the SQ shifted.
It was oh so obvious, and I've never had that happen before.
Usually it’s a more gradual transition where I notice the SQ shifting and blossoming over a matter of minutes.

But last night it was a unique, 'sudden' and attention getting event, the likes of which I've never experienced before.
I figure it was due to the SRQ fuse and the AS Silver AES3 cable both coming into sharper focus, at the same time.

What shifted was the entire soundstage, it just 'snapped' into sharper focus, all of the 'Voices' became more differentiated from each other, and the acoustic energy was more focused as coming from each 'Voice' as well, which resulted in the entire acoustic presentation becoming more 'real'.
Put another way C3 and I5 and HB&W and T3 and S/S and tLFF all improved, simultaneously.

But the best part is these changes are still evident (they're sticking around) and are continuing to morph.
And my 3 star music needs to be bumped to 4 star, again.

JJ
ps I'm gunna add a list of all of the words I've re-tasked in the first post, just as a reference.
I figured it might come in handy upon occasion.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #630 of 1,974
  Last night was a 1st.

I was listening to tunes and right in the middle of a chord the SQ shifted.
It was oh so obvious, and I've never had that happen before.
Usually it’s a more gradual transition where I notice the SQ shifting and blossoming over a matter of minutes.

But last night it was a unique, 'sudden' and attention getting event, the likes of which I've never experienced before.
I figure it was due to the SRQ fuse and the AS Silver AES3 cable both coming into sharper focus, at the same time.

What shifted was the entire soundstage, it just 'snapped' into sharper focus, all of the 'Voices' became more differentiated from each other, and the acoustic energy was more focused as coming from each 'Voice' as well, which resulted in the entire acoustic presentation becoming more 'real'.
Put another way C3 and I5 and HB&W and T3 and S/S and tLFF all improved, simultaneously.

But the best part is these changes are still evident (they're sticking around) and are continuing to morph.
And my 3 star music needs to be bumped to 4 star, again.

JJ

Alright ... alllllriiight ... (now then ... noooow then ....) ... 
wink.gif

Sorry, channeling a bit of Monty Python there ... it happens ... 

So what's this "SRQ fuse" (I get the audiophile fuse thing, just don't get a useful result googling this one) and where do you have it installed?  Is it in your RedNet 3?  Mines still in its box, so I don't know if it has an accessible fuse or not.  And this is not an area I've had much luck (switching fuses), but since I'm going to be listening to this stuff at length here shortly, I'm game to have another go at it ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back