Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #52,876 of 150,255
Yikes, I get a mental image of folks laughing and falling out of their chairs when someone actually spends $1250 for the parts to build such a cable. The money is better spent moving up to a different Amp or DAC or headphones. An AC cord or a multibit Gungnir, that is a tough one. :ksc75smile:

Wait....does that mean you canceled your order for this? I was *so* looking forward to your impressions. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

upload_2019-11-3_10-20-19.png

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #52,877 of 150,255
LOL, and I thought I was being extravagant with my $30.00 to $100.00 (depending on length) Pangea's.

The IEC plug (C130?) is usually the kicker, I shopped all over and decent ones were $15 up so those prices are really not that bad IMHO. I went with plated pure copper connectors and I will end up building maybe 10 cables but I change equipment around a lot so some will just be extras.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #52,878 of 150,255
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #52,879 of 150,255
Wait....does that mean you canceled your order for this? I was *so* looking forward to your impressions. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Another fine example. This is like doing something really stupid if you are a celebrity, you still get your name out there, good or bad, you end up in the news. Folks see something like this and link it to their friends and no matter what, the company name gets out there more and more lol.

Now if someone actually bought that, their expectations would be so high that naturally it sounds so much better than whatever they used before!!!!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #52,880 of 150,255
The IEC plug (C130?) is usually the kicker, I shopped all over and decent ones were $15 up so those prices are really not that bad IMHO. I went with plated pure copper connectors and I will end up building maybe 10 cables but I change equipment around a lot so some will just be extras.

On the more realistic side of things, I have a pair (male plug and IEC) of these and they are not bad at all. They make a plastic-cased version that's only $12, but it is pretty flimsy -- the outer shell deforms easily, and if you screw down just a bit too tightly on the wire screws they'll strip. These are much more durable with heavier gauge wire clamps inside. There are gold plated versions too that are only a little more expensive, and several brand names on Amazon (Sonarquest, etc) but look like they probably all come out of the same factory in China.

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiKing-Pow...P0M7YVEJ0CH&psc=1&refRID=9FGD1BFQ8P0M7YVEJ0CH

upload_2019-11-3_10-28-23.png

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #52,881 of 150,255
Now if someone actually bought that, their expectations would be so high that naturally it sounds so much better than whatever they used before!!!!

But they *do* sound better. I have 4 of them.

LOL!

I do a lot of stupid stuff, but I'm actually not quite THAT stupid. But I can still see your eyes rolling from here, Tom. :rolling_eyes:

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #52,882 of 150,255
On the more realistic side of things, I have a pair (male plug and IEC) of these and they are not bad at all. They make a plastic-cased version that's only $12, but it is pretty flimsy -- the outer shell deforms easily, and if you screw down just a bit too tightly on the wire screws they'll strip. These are much more durable with heavier gauge wire clamps inside. There are gold plated versions too that are only a little more expensive, and several brand names on Amazon (Sonarquest, etc) but look like they probably all come out of the same factory in China.

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiKing-Pow...P0M7YVEJ0CH&psc=1&refRID=9FGD1BFQ8P0M7YVEJ0CH

Yeah I saw those. They even use pure "red" copper. Why was I thinking copper was kind of copper colored? Oh well.

This might seem a little off topic compared to say pizza dough, but Bill and I are both working on setting up some Schiit equipment on small racks and from what I have seen, his will make mine look like a dog's dinner when he gets it done. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #52,884 of 150,255
Yeah I saw those. They even use pure "red" copper. Why was I thinking copper was kind of copper colored? Oh well.
:smile_phones:

Red copper is a different color than copper copper. It's redder. :laughing:

What we really need is purple copper.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #52,885 of 150,255
A very nice color all the same. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have. I have some cotton based mesh on the way that should fit some of mine, I would be happy to share some of that with you when I get it @bcowen, you have been a major help with tubes and adhesives etc.

I shudder to think what those connectors cost, I am paying $40 a set and dreading it, but you have to find things that fit the cable diameter. Many of the molded cables you get with equipment are 18 awg, I generally move up to 14 awg but 16 awg is still fine for such applications. Distance is a factor and when you custom build such cables, you get to choose and keep some of the excess cable length to a minimum.

I do not believe in spending a lot of money on wire for AC cords, I do like to use quality copper from companies I can rely on to use meet specific codes on wire and jacket.

I've made power cables in the past (solder free, I suck at soldering small parts) and you can usually build good ones for quite cheap using good copper wire. I usually stick with Carol 12 gauge wire from Parts express which is 1.25/ft when you only buy 25 feet. I've found those Red copper plugs on sale at times for 15 - 16 bucks for the pair...

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #52,886 of 150,255
This might seem a little off topic compared to say pizza dough, but Bill and I are both working on setting up some Schiit equipment on small racks and from what I have seen, his will make mine look like a dog's dinner when he gets it done. :smile_phones:

I don't know about the dog's dinner thing, but first things first: it was *your* idea that inspired me when you posted that photo of your first "mini" rack. It's unlikely I would have envisioned that on my own, so thanks for letting me blatantly steal your design. :relaxed:

I was going to wait until a Bifrost 2 took residence on the bottom shelf to complete the look, but here's a pic until then. 1" thick Tiger Maple, solid brass rods, and the little big a$$ brass feet on the bottom. The Loki will sit on the top left corner of the Lyr. It's too little to warrant its own shelf. :relaxed:

schiitrack1.jpg

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #52,887 of 150,255
Drat since it involves connectors you could see, there is not an easy way to send you a blind cable test. Not that I want to spend $1,000 to win another steak dinner and bottle of wine mind you lol. I do have limits, they are not always realistic, but they are there all the same. At least you stopped having your tubes cryo treated, there is hope for you yet. :ksc75smile:

Hmmm now the AC cord, I would just have to be able to match it for diameter and weight, put it inside a couple layers of mesh, seal them, send you seven cables made with other materials that cost say $1.00 a foot, and you would be able to tell me which is the wire you like. That still involves buying connectors at say $40 a set, plus about eight hours labor to build them up exactly. Never mind....

One of the shops I frequent let me in home audition a Nordost Heimdall 2 power cable (~$900) for about a week, I A/B'd it a few times and never really could tell a difference between it and my ~$40 DIY cable even though I really wanted it to be better because they look so good! In the end I took it back and happily didn't have to spend that $$$ and even more for the other 6 power cables I would have needed to replace hehe...

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #52,888 of 150,255
I've made power cables in the past (solder free, I suck at soldering small parts) and you can usually build good ones for quite cheap using good copper wire. I usually stick with Carol 12 gauge wire from Parts express which is 1.25/ft when you only buy 25 feet. I've found those Red copper plugs on sale at times for 15 - 16 bucks for the pair...
Carol makes very good wire and my people use it on a daily basis. I went with other plugs myself. Most of my work is with low power connectors so I am less familiar with AC plugs or jacks.

I have several hundred feet of 3/14 and 3/16 left over from a project so this is a good way to use it up.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #52,889 of 150,255

Some people can actually hear a difference with them even in blind A/B/A comparisons, I'm not one of those people.

A guy I do know has gone steadily up the ansuz chain and now has over $100k in just the wiring. However what he always preaches is concentrate on getting your core components first (transducers, source, pre, amp(s)) then once that is sorted start experimenting with cables etc... and taylor it to what you want.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #52,890 of 150,255
I don't know about the dog's dinner thing, but first things first: it was *your* idea that inspired me when you posted that photo of your first "mini" rack. It's unlikely I would have envisioned that on my own, so thanks for letting me blatantly steal your design. :relaxed:

I was going to wait until a Bifrost 2 took residence on the bottom shelf to complete the look, but here's a pic until then. 1" thick Tiger Maple, solid brass rods, and the little big a$$ brass feet on the bottom. The Loki will sit on the top left corner of the Lyr. It's too little to warrant its own shelf. :relaxed:

Tiger Maple eh? Never heard of it, but that is a cool looking piece of wood..

Where does one acquire solid brass rods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back