Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #52,861 of 150,275
I now need purple toilet paper....but I’m not a savage and use bidets at home :wink: *still slinks off to the internet to find purple toilet paper*

@Darthpool, you might find some here:

58XwkfD.png

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #52,862 of 150,275
Now I am quite puzzled over why any powered USB hub is ok when it comes to resolving USB DAC issues like connection problems and power draw issues.

You see, I was trying to see which USB port (be it front panel of the PC, back panel of the PC, one of those from the powered USB hub I got, the USB port on an official Apple iPad charger, a wall-wart that is wired to a male mini-USB) can power a portable recorder to be used as a mic for my PC.

I noticed that while all of them can do so, the ones on the PC and the ones of the powered USB hub are significantly more noiser. To be exact, the noise floor of the recordings done on these ports are noiser than those done on other ports (the official Apple iPad charger being the quietest).

So, how would a powered USB hub, with a supposedly noisy SMPS causing such noise, can help solve the USB issues? Won't the noisy SMPS create more noise instead? Also, for the case of more advanced Multibit DACs like the Modi Multibit and Biifrost, since they are already drawing their own clean power from the provided linear power supply wall wart, how would providing more (and perhaps noiser) power to the USB port help?

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #52,863 of 150,275
Now I am quite puzzled over why any powered USB hub is ok when it comes to resolving USB DAC issues like connection problems and power draw issues.

You see, I was trying to see which USB port (be it front panel of the PC, back panel of the PC, one of those from the powered USB hub I got, the USB port on an official Apple iPad charger, a wall-wart that is wired to a male mini-USB) can power a portable recorder to be used as a mic for my PC.

I noticed that while all of them can do so, the ones on the PC and the ones of the powered USB hub are significantly more noiser. To be exact, the noise floor of the recordings done on these ports are noiser than those done on other ports (the official Apple iPad charger being the quietest).

So, how would a powered USB hub, with a supposedly noisy SMPS causing such noise, can help solve the USB issues? Won't the noisy SMPS create more noise instead? Also, for the case of more advanced Multibit DACs like the Modi Multibit and Biifrost, since they are already drawing their own clean power from the provided linear power supply wall wart, how would providing more (and perhaps noiser) power to the USB port help?
portable recorder is using the +5VDC supplied by the USB connector, but has poor power supply noise rejection (analog issue), recording is quietest using the Apple iPad charger since it is only powering the recorder, whereas computer power supply has a lot of noise from the CPU, video card, disk drives, etc.

USB audio playing through the DAC when hub is added is improved because the hub buffers the audio frames.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #52,868 of 150,275
I am leaning toward purple and silver, with XLR cables maybe another color. I like it with the cherry.

I went with green. But not because I don't like purple...I just didn't have any. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lyr 3 Cord.jpg

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #52,869 of 150,275
I went with green. But not because I don't like purple...I just didn't have any. :stuck_out_tongue:

A very nice color all the same. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have. I have some cotton based mesh on the way that should fit some of mine, I would be happy to share some of that with you when I get it @bcowen, you have been a major help with tubes and adhesives etc.

I shudder to think what those connectors cost, I am paying $40 a set and dreading it, but you have to find things that fit the cable diameter. Many of the molded cables you get with equipment are 18 awg, I generally move up to 14 awg but 16 awg is still fine for such applications. Distance is a factor and when you custom build such cables, you get to choose and keep some of the excess cable length to a minimum.

I do not believe in spending a lot of money on wire for AC cords, I do like to use quality copper from companies I can rely on to use meet specific codes on wire and jacket.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #52,870 of 150,275
A very nice color all the same. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have. I have some cotton based mesh on the way that should fit some of mine, I would be happy to share some of that with you when I get it @bcowen, you have been a major help with tubes and adhesives etc.

I shudder to think what those connectors cost, I am paying $40 a set and dreading it, but you have to find things that fit the cable diameter. Many of the molded cables you get with equipment are 18 awg, I generally move up to 14 awg but 16 awg is still fine for such applications. Distance is a factor and when you custom build such cables, you get to choose and keep some of the excess cable length to a minimum.

The length thing is why I usually make my own. I hate cable clutter, so I just make them to the exact length needed. An added bonus is when the spousal unit decides she wants to rearrange things, it gives me an excellent excuse to exempt the audio equipment. :slight_smile:

The Furutech connectors are pricey to be sure, but they are *so* nicely made. Do they make a difference in the sound? I don't know, and I'm not about to spend my time swapping out different sockets and plugs to find out. I've had the pair shown here for a long time, and just stick different lengths of wire between them when needed. This particular cord is for the Lyr 3 and has the Oyaide Black Mamba V2 cable inside. The gauge is specified metrically at 2.5 SQ which is just a bit smaller than 13 gauge. Not that the Lyr needs anything even close to that heavy (especially in a 4' long cord), but that's the only way that wire is offered in bulk form. Does the wire make an audible difference? To my ears, yes. And I'll leave it at that. :relaxed:

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #52,871 of 150,275
The length thing is why I usually make my own. I hate cable clutter, so I just make them to the exact length needed. An added bonus is when the spousal unit decides she wants to rearrange things, it gives me an excellent excuse to exempt the audio equipment. :slight_smile:

The Furutech connectors are pricey to be sure, but they are *so* nicely made. Do they make a difference in the sound? I don't know, and I'm not about to spend my time swapping out different sockets and plugs to find out. I've had the pair shown here for a long time, and just stick different lengths of wire between them when needed. This particular cord is for the Lyr 3 and has the Oyaide Black Mamba V2 cable inside. The gauge is specified metrically at 2.5 SQ which is just a bit smaller than 13 gauge. Not that the Lyr needs anything even close to that heavy (especially in a 4' long cord), but that's the only way that wire is offered in bulk form. Does the wire make an audible difference? To my ears, yes. And I'll leave it at that. :relaxed:

Drat since it involves connectors you could see, there is not an easy way to send you a blind cable test. Not that I want to spend $1,000 to win another steak dinner and bottle of wine mind you lol. I do have limits, they are not always realistic, but they are there all the same. At least you stopped having your tubes cryo treated, there is hope for you yet. :ksc75smile:

Hmmm now the AC cord, I would just have to be able to match it for diameter and weight, put it inside a couple layers of mesh, seal them, send you seven cables made with other materials that cost say $1.00 a foot, and you would be able to tell me which is the wire you like. That still involves buying connectors at say $40 a set, plus about eight hours labor to build them up exactly. Never mind....

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #52,872 of 150,275
Drat since it involves connectors you could see, there is not an easy way to send you a blind cable test. Not that I want to spend $1,000 to win another steak dinner and bottle of wine mind you lol. I do have limits, they are not always realistic, but they are there all the same. At least you stopped having your tubes cryo treated, there is hope for you yet. :ksc75smile:

Well, if you want to do another challenge, I'll need a baseline cable to work from so please use this wire. Perhaps 8' in length just so I have maximum flexibility:
upload_2019-11-3_9-16-20.png

And these connectors:
upload_2019-11-3_9-25-21.png

upload_2019-11-3_9-24-30.png

That should make for a good starter cord. I'm fine with you selecting the other 8 wire/connector combos to go with. If you win, it's another steak dinner. If I win, I get to keep the starter cable. Deal? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I *had* to try the cryo thing with the tubes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But even with an expectation bias in full play that the cryo treated tubes would sound better (or at least different), I was totally unable to hear any difference. Just me and my ears and my system so I'm not going to assert that cryo treating tubes does not or cannot make a difference, it just didn't make any difference (or even a hint of a difference) that I was able to discern. I sent one of the Cryo'd tubes to @Ripper2860 as well (he had an identical match of that tube on-hand already), and he wasn't able to tell any difference either. But in that case you have to make allowances for the tester. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #52,874 of 150,275
Well, if you want to do another challenge, I'll need a baseline cable to work from so please use this wire. Perhaps 8' in length just so I have maximum flexibility:

And these connectors:

That should make for a good starter cord. I'm fine with you selecting the other 8 wire/connector combos to go with. If you win, it's another steak dinner. If I win, I get to keep the starter cable. Deal? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I *had* to try the cryo thing with the tubes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But even with an expectation bias in full play that the cryo treated tubes would sound better (or at least different), I was totally unable to hear any difference. Just me and my ears and my system so I'm not going to assert that cryo treating tubes does not or cannot make a difference, it just didn't make any difference (or even a hint of a difference) that I was able to discern. I sent one of the Cryo'd tubes to @Ripper2860 as well (he had an identical match of that tube on-hand already), and he wasn't able to tell any difference either. But in that case you have to make allowances for the tester. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yikes, I get a mental image of folks laughing and falling out of their chairs when someone actually spends $1250 for the parts to build such a cable. The money is better spent moving up to a different Amp or DAC or headphones. An AC cord or a multibit Gungnir, that is a tough one. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #52,875 of 150,275
LOL, and I thought I was being extravagant with my $30.00 to $100.00 (depending on length) Pangea's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back