Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #52,831 of 150,256
Financial discipline is hard, but if you can see light at the end of the tunnel it is rewarding. I've been working my way towards it for years now. Old habits die hard. New habits take time to create. Most months are two steps forward, some months are admittedly 2 steps forward, one step back. This summer I toiled a few hours a week on a side hustle. Got paid the other day. Old me would have financed tires for my car, and used the cash on a Bifrost 2. New me paid for the tires in full, and am waiting until Jan-Feb when I have cash in hand to buy the Bifrost 2.

But I still have setbacks. I bought my open box KLH Kendalls off eBay in July for a 2 year no interest deal. I could have paid for them that month, but 35 bucks a month for 2 years is an easy payment, and I put that other money towards a different debt. So I win often and lose occasionally, trying to balance life with firm fiscal discipline is a challenge. Who wants to not go out and have any fun or not spend any money for 6-9 months while you get your books clean. As long as I keep reducing my debt each month I'm ok with the occasional minor setback, provided I stay disciplined and keep avoiding interest.
only debt i have is the house we bought with the money from a bank...i was raised to work (save) and enjoy afterwards. It really works, and makes choices damn easy. Still saving for Gungnir MB (now for sure postponed to Unison update). And you know what, you enjoy it so much more. My first big hifi puchase was a rotel HT pre amp, couldn’t use it for a year until the 6 channel power amp was on offer and i had the money. Sweet satisfaction when all was playing, só good!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #52,832 of 150,256
Not just nope but **** nope.

We get approached all the time by companies like Affirm, who want to "help" people with low-interest, short-term financing. The problem is that we don't think this is "help." We think this is furthering people's credit addiction. If you can't comfortably afford an audio product (or a watch, or a fancy car, or designer clothes, or anything that you reeelly reeeeellly want, but isn't needed in your life), you shouldn't buy it.

Sorry for being old-fashioned, but that's what we believe, and that's the way we work.
Time for folks to meet reality---you can't always get what you want.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #52,833 of 150,256
Feel free to send your money to me. I'll hang onto it until there's enough for the purchase. With a one-time account setup charge of only $49.95, a monthly maintenance fee of only $19.95, and a written guarantee to forward the compiled funds to the product manufacturer within 180 days of final payment, what could be better? :smile:
Can I join you as a junior partner? Maybe invite Paladin 79 to join too----,

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #52,834 of 150,256
If one is financially responsible they should be able to do their own "lay-away" savings account by themselves for nonessential things they can't cover from immediate cash flows.
Unfortunately, we no longer teach this logical process in schools.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #52,835 of 150,256
I was once rich, young, pretty and stupid.
Now I'm old, still pretty, still stupid but poor as a rats ass.
I got used to spending NO money for months and must say I don't miss it.
I don't think that you are still stupid, but I decline to comment on your claim of being pretty,

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #52,836 of 150,256
:laughing:

No one ever accused me of being pretty.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #52,838 of 150,256
Unfortunately, we no longer teach this logical process in schools.

As a parent of three young adults with limited opportunities available to them at the start of their adult-in-the-working-world life, the deck is stacked against them far higher than it was when I was their age (40 years ago). It's hard to save for things you want when you barely earn enough money to pay rent, food & gas.

And don't get me started on the deterioration of the U.S.A. public school system.

OK, Curmudgeon mode is now off.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #52,839 of 150,256
Lol you may want to review some of @bcowen’s other ideas Sam, I have avoided prison thus far in my life and I hope to continue the trend.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #52,840 of 150,256
Time for folks to meet reality---you can't always get what you want.

I think somebody was talking about 'Stones in an (almost) immediately preceding post. :smile:

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #52,841 of 150,256
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #52,842 of 150,256

Sure...I'll need someone to do all the work. :relaxed:

As far as @Paladin79 , he'd probably want to make all the paperwork purple. Have to think on that some. :relaxed:

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #52,843 of 150,256
Look at Constanza's joyful smile on my avatar as she sits in the lap of this supermodel. Huh?

A portion of your avatar must be missing. I see the cat, but can't find the supermodel. Maybe it's my laptop.... :slight_smile:

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #52,845 of 150,256
Sure...I'll need someone to do all the work. :relaxed:

As far as @Paladin79 , he'd probably want to make all the paperwork purple. Have to think on that some. :relaxed:
Hey purple is suddenly a trend!!! There must be two or three people who requested it this far and the concept is starting to grow on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back