Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #52,456 of 149,317

Bill and I might disagree on some technical aspects of tubes but his auditory perception is amazing. He can back up what he says IMHO.

See? I would have used 39 which would have been wrong. I'll leave the technical stuff to you which far surpasses my listening ability.

But my cat is still bigger than yours. :slight_smile:

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #52,457 of 149,317
See? I would have used 39 which would have been wrong. I'll leave the technical stuff to you which far surpasses my listening ability.

But my cat is still bigger than yours. :slight_smile:
That is a kitten lol. Our cat weighs more than our dog. Valentine can stand on his back feet and rest his chin and paws on a dining room table. 86817562-0846-446C-92EC-8CC26F0ACBCC.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #52,458 of 149,317
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #52,459 of 149,317
Argh. I really wanted a Jil to replace my Behringer.

So, @Jason Stoddard

What are the chances we might get a Schiit version of the GAIN system Mike developed for Mobile Fidelity?

His current multibit DACs are designed essentially as the reverse of that system. It would be amazing if we had a multibit ADC to record our LPs, tapes, live shows, etc. with, then be able to play them back on a mirror image device.

Jil is dead.

Long live Jil 2!

Please?

If you want an AD converter with Schiit multibit synergy that comes in second place to the GAIN I then find a Pacific Microsonics Model 2. It'll only cost about three Yggdrasils.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #52,462 of 149,317

Jotunheim R /1,000 watts per channel per that review. (typo?) Still scratching my head, LOL. Could a Class D amp that small put out that many watts, even very short term, and not melt down?
It continues to get even more intriguing. If so, sounds like it's going to have one of those special Schiit circuitry tricks inside the box.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #52,463 of 149,317
Jotunheim R /1,000 watts per channel per that review. (typo?) Still scratching my head, LOL. Could a Class D amp that small put out that many watts, even very short term, and not melt down?
It continues to get even more intriguing. If so, sounds like it's going to have one of those special Schiit circuitry tricks inside the box.
Did you see previous posts (?)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3497#post-15265306
and earlier ones like
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3497#post-15265280

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #52,464 of 149,317
Yes. Still, not being an electrical engineer.... I guess Jason can clear this up at some point when Schiit releases specs. But I guess the bottom line for me is, will it perform with the SR1a for me just as well as a Vidar or some other amp(s)?. Price-wise not a lot of difference between Vidar and the projected price of Jotunheim R without DAC card. Big difference size and weight wise taken into consideration.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #52,465 of 149,317
Yes. Still, not being an electrical engineer.... I guess Jason can clear this up at some point when Schiit releases specs. But I guess the bottom line for me is, will it perform with the SR1a for me just as well as a Vidar or some other amp(s)?. Price-wise not a lot of difference between Vidar and the projected price of Jotunheim R without DAC card. Big difference size and weight wise taken into consideration.
does Vidar has a volume knob?

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #52,466 of 149,317
I did tag Jason in my original post - re the facts, but maybe David Aldrich picked it up for Schiit instead ? :disappointed:
Anyhow, the Schiit looks like a good option and maybe if you buy the SR1a and Jotunheim R together you will be able to save on the "Ribbon/Amp Interface" :fingers_crossed:

upload_2019-10-24_21-48-15.png

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #52,467 of 149,317
does Vidar has a volume knob?

Not to my knowledge. Jotunheim R apparently will. My initial use will be with integrated s, Ragnarok 1 and PrimaLuna so I've got volume control with both of those.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #52,468 of 149,317
I did tag Jason in my original post - re the facts, but maybe David Aldrich picked it up for Schiit instead ? :disappointed:
Anyhow, the Schiit looks like a good option and maybe if you buy the SR1a and Jotunheim R together you will be able to save on the "Ribbon/Amp Interface" :fingers_crossed:

Actually, as I have separate rigs, one up stairs and one downstairs, one will get the adapter the other Jotunheim R if/when available. My SR1a (with adapter) is supposed to be delivered to me Monday so, depending on what time of day UPS shows up, I'll be up and running within 24 hours.

I had been eyeing the MySphere for a long time but with speakers I was always a fan of Quad ESL 63 and my last speakers, before downsizing, were Carver's Platinum IV's and I luv'd the power they generated on large scale orchestral music with 5 foot ribbons and 4 x 12" woofers a side all in a dipole design. I drove them with Carvers SS 1,000 watt per channel, (class D type, I guess) amps and Carvers tube preamp. Sold it all when I moved in 2004 and went high-end-less on sound till 2016 when I got into HP's.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #52,469 of 149,317

The Ribbon interface is a good option for when you want to do “AMP Rolling”. Sure, I dont doubt that the Jotunheim R will be a great amp for the SR1a. But as of now the Jotunheim R is just one product that can directly drive the SR1a. Having the Ribbon interface makes you have more options.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #52,470 of 149,317
Good point. But I'm about out of space, that's why Jotunheim R appeals to me so well. I could probably squeeze in Vidar (and run my A/C harder from April to November:sweat_smile:) somewhere at a later date but would have to hold a "fire sale" to make space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back