Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #51,122 of 149,297
@Paladin79 Another vote: I love the look of copper in general and don't much care for the blue patina myself.
Honestly it would save me time and trouble going with the shiny copper, it may become part of a ground buss anyway.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #51,123 of 149,297
These cables are relatively easy to find, but sometimes they are referred to as "printer cables"

Here is one option from Amazon that comes in black or white in various lengths. There are many other brands available as well.

Here is another option from Monoprice.

Well, perhaps I would have been more lucky indeed if I would have searched for "USB-C printer cables"!

As it is I found only one suitable cable, pretty short but that's fine for my setup, made by StarTechCom.

https://www.coolblue.nl/product/668522/startech-usb-c-naar-usb-b-2-0-kabel-1-meter.html

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #51,124 of 149,297
Opinions please.

I am building a new stereo rack using solid cherry and copper. Which looks better, shiny copper or copper with the blue patina. Either would be finished with a clear lacquer so the patina or shine are maintained. The flanges will stay black. Those are the choices so please do not suggest iron pipe or other colors lol. Well maybe a green patina, but otherwise this is it. Most equipment will be Schiit in the silver finish, some pieces in black.
Shiny, please Tom! It is much easier to maintain and refinish--and looks great with Schiit aluminum.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #51,125 of 149,297
@Paladin79 You can't go wrong with shiny copper in my opinion, but I just remembered another look that I really like is copper when it's brushed and has a matte appearance (but is the same color).

Actually, this video is what I had in mind. They use brushed copper for the hard-line tubing in a water cooling loop in a PC and I think it looks amazing. However, I don't know how the finish will look after you apply the lacquer.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #51,126 of 149,297
@Paladin79 You can't go wrong with shiny copper in my opinion, but I just remembered another look that I really like is copper when it's brushed and has a matte appearance (but is the same color).

Actually, this video is what I had in mind. They use brushed copper for the hard-line tubing in a water cooling loop in a PC and I think it looks amazing. However, I don't know how the finish will look after you apply the lacquer.

Great info, thanks! Luckily I am not doing any bends so this should be relatively straight forward. I have worked with copper in amp builds and a large flat sheet is so hard to keep from scratching, this finish should help lol.

IMG_2239.JPG

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #51,128 of 149,297
Sorry I didn’t notice the one with patina. But my vote is on the shiny one!

Yeah I am leaning that way, thanks for your input.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #51,129 of 149,297
@Paladin79 I vote for the patina copper version. Reason being it will give more of an appearance that the shelves are floating. It also provides a more uniform contrast between the horizontal and the vertical.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #51,130 of 149,297
@Paladin79 I vote for the patina copper version. Reason being it will give more of an appearance that the shelves are floating. It also provides a more uniform contrast between the horizontal and the vertical.

Interesting, it would be easy enough to do a mock up to check that out before final assembly.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #51,131 of 149,297
I just got done sorting all the CD’s in my garage. Between those and my record collection I may have to add more shelves.

Hoarder.

I mean that in a nice way, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #51,133 of 149,297
Opinions please.

I am building a new stereo rack using solid cherry and copper. Which looks better, shiny copper or copper with the blue patina. Either would be finished with a clear lacquer so the patina or shine are maintained. The flanges will stay black. Those are the choices so please do not suggest iron pipe or other colors lol. Well maybe a green patina, but otherwise this is it. Most equipment will be Schiit in the silver finish, some pieces in black.

Copper will resonate. Brass would be better. That's kind of within the choices -- brass has copper in it, right? :slight_smile:

I do like the shiny copper better though...

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #51,134 of 149,297
Opinions please.

The blue patina.
Much more character than bling bling rap copper.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #51,135 of 149,297
I'd love to have the space to do things like you do. But unfortunately I live in a "shoe box" apartment.
Since we are on the copper pipe season, maybe you could try something like this to set the ambience for the music listening:

I built something like that in college, all parts were functional though, and electronic components. In the end it was an FM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back