Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #51,136 of 150,743
Copper will resonate. Brass would be better. That's kind of within the choices -- brass has copper in it, right? :slight_smile:

I do like the shiny copper better though...
Most things have a resonant frequency and yes as I recall both brass and bronze contain copper.

There are two choices, just two, no thinking outside the box on this.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #51,137 of 150,743
The blue patina.
Much more character than bling bling rap copper.

Ars gratia artis, I figured some would go for beauty more than utilitarian function.

We had a bottle of Carpazo 2016 with pasta tonight, I need to buy more. I am hoping @bcowen tried his by now but he was probably too busy hoarding tubes.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #51,138 of 150,743
I'd love to have the space to do things like you do. But unfortunately I live in a "shoe box" apartment.
Since we are on the copper pipe season, maybe you could try something like this to set the ambience for the music listening:

That reminds me of a bong I once had...

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #51,139 of 150,743
Most things have a resonant frequency and yes as I recall both brass and bronze contain copper.

There are two choices, just two, no thinking outside the box on this.:smile_phones:

Fill the copper pipe with something to dampen the resonance if you are worried about it. I suspect the spray in foam used for insulation would work nicely.

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #51,140 of 150,743
Shiny, definitely shiny. Then when your done you can sit back and say "Shiny" in your best Malcom Reynolds voice. And invite all your Brown Coat friends over to admire it.
(Firefly reference for all those who didn't figure it out already.)

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #51,141 of 150,743
Fill the copper pipe with something to dampen the resonance if you are worried about it. I suspect the spray in foam used for insulation would work nicely.
I have considered spray foam and a few other options but some of them were more for structural integrity.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #51,143 of 150,743
A liquid rubber from SmoothOn would be a really cool damping material for copper tube projects.
A good choice, I have worked with similar products when molding with acrylics.

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #51,144 of 150,743
I have considered spray foam and a few other options but some of them were more for structural integrity.
how about filling the tubes with sand, aquarium gravel or lead shot? messy if you take the thing apart...so foam might be a better choice, or the two-part molding urethane (forgive me if this is SmoothOn, as i'm not familiar with that brand name).

consider a single continuous piece of pipe in the center rear for both shelf support and grounding, drill holes & insert pins horizontally to support shelving (rear pipe runs through a rear hole in each middle shelf.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #51,145 of 150,743
Great info, thanks! Luckily I am not doing any bends so this should be relatively straight forward. I have worked with copper in amp builds and a large flat sheet is so hard to keep from scratching, this finish should help lol.

I'm another vote for shiny/non patina. The warmth of copper is lost when it corrodes...

Edit: I do like @tincanear 's idea of three legged shelves, and a squirt of Great Stuff™ in each tube should take care of any resonance concerns without adding weight.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #51,146 of 150,743
Smooth On is a company the sells a variety of two part rubbers and plastics for mold making and casting.

They carry a variety of silicones, urethanes, and epoxies.

how about filling the tubes with sand, aquarium gravel or lead shot? messy if you take the thing apart...so foam might be a better choice, or the two-part molding urethane (forgive me if this is SmoothOn, as i'm not familiar with that brand name).

consider a single continuous piece of pipe in the center rear for both shelf support and grounding, drill holes & insert pins horizontally to support shelving (rear pipe runs through a rear hole in each middle shelf.

Sep 22, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #51,147 of 150,743
In all seriousness, copper pipe is probably one of the worst things I could possibly use because of its resonant frequency, it is almost as if I were making a vertical xylophone except...

There will be cast iron flanges at each end as well as 3/4 inch of wood attached to each end except for the legs. I am thinking seriously of using Sorbothane under each flange as well as adding some kind of sound dampening material to the inside of the pipes.

There is a formula for calculating the resonant frequency for a given length of copper pipe but as I said, I am adding in some variables. Bill brought up a valid point about resonance and I am factoring that in.

Sorbothane makes all kinds of nice shapes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O4D1H...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I just have to be careful and not overdo it on Sorbothane thickness, I need to be able to keep the top perfectly level.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #51,148 of 150,743
In all seriousness, copper pipe is probably one of the worst things I could possibly use because of its resonant frequency, it is almost as if I were making a vertical xylophone except...

There will be cast iron flanges at each end as well as 3/4 inch of wood attached to each end except for the legs. I am thinking seriously of using Sorbothane under each flange as well as adding some kind of sound dampening material to the inside of the pipes.

There is a formula for calculating the resonant frequency for a given length of copper pipe but as I said, I am adding in some variables. Bill brought up a valid point about resonance and I am factoring that in.

Sorbothane makes all kinds of nice shapes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O4D1H...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
why not solid cherry as the base and top?

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #51,149 of 150,743
I really think you will not hear any resonance from the copper piping, even when not filled up.
Try using a piece of copper pipe and beat it with a small metal stick like you use a triangle in percussion.
You'll hear no resonance.
Make a square out of copper pipes and hang it in front of one of your speakers.
Again you'll hear no resonance.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #51,150 of 150,743
Ars gratia artis, I figured some would go for beauty more than utilitarian function.

Huh?!? Who are you, and what did you do with Tom? :relaxed:

We had a bottle of Carpazo 2016 with pasta tonight, I need to buy more. I am hoping @bcowen tried his by now but he was probably too busy hoarding tubes.:ksc75smile:

Sadly no, and I only wish it was due to time hoarding with tube hoarding. The week from hell at work, and then I spent 3x the time planned yesterday putting a new catalytic converter on the Mazda. While I prefer doing work on my cars myself, I loathe exhaust piping work. But after the Stealership quoted $1900, the local shop (one of few I actually trust) quoted $900, and a suitable replacement from Ebay was $179, an afternoon of 4 letter words in the garage was warranted. :relaxed: Haven't even had time to listen to your cooked cables yet. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back