Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #51,106 of 150,724
I would make you a video except it would mostly be of a cat trying to help me. My daughter disappears and I am stuck with this beast. I believe he likes the taste of Wiha tools over Lindstrom, but I have not recorded all of the results yet.

I am listening to some 1953 Fotons in a Vali 2 (6sn7 equivalent), I forget who told me about them but it seems like the guy was a fairly stable genius, in his own mind.

My test track in this case is Nighttime in the Switching Yard by Warren Zevon, remastered.

Well, teach Finnegan how to solder tube pins, send him to me and I'll keep an eye on him for you. No charge. :relaxed:

A (resoldered) '52 Foton is currently jamming in my Lyr 3. Haven't been able to find a reason to take it out yet. Frankie isn't pleased, but I gave up on trying to keep all my tubes happy a long time ago. :relaxed:

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #51,107 of 150,724
Great collection right there! If you would, please package up that WLW and send it my way, well-packaged of course.
Tasting notes will be shared here :)

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #51,108 of 150,724
I usually go to The Salvation Army and other places like that for CD's. Up until a month or 2 ago they had CD's for 5 for a dollar, I would generally hit up 1 or 2 different ones a
weekend and pick up 75 - 100, then sit and watch a game or something and rip them all.

Then they decided to raise their prices to 2 for a dollar, which is still a good deal, except now the turn over rate has pretty much gone to nothing so they are pretty much sitting
on the same inventory every time I go in so I might pick up 5 or 10 now that were new from the last time I was in...

I just got done sorting all the CD’s in my garage. Between those and my record collection I may have to add more shelves.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #51,110 of 150,724
To be honest, I never liked the Grace Jones cover of that song. (neither any of the outer covers that I've heard).

I appreciate the percussion and their amazing dynamics on her recordings. I only have one CD of hers (the first one) but I also have four albums on vinyl. My two favourites are Warm Leatherette and Nightclubbing.

JC

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #51,114 of 150,724
Sep 21, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #51,116 of 150,724
I'm sorry if I missed it - I've been very busy the last several weeks - but were the impressions from the tube shootout at the Schiitr posted already? If so, could someone link me to it?
Audio-Head covered the event and as best I know they have not published the outcome yet. PM me if you like and I can at least tell you the tubes they tested. We were waiting on their results.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #51,117 of 150,724
I had to remove the ridiculous socket-savers off my Valhalla 2 (in my vain attempt to promote passive convective cooling). Our nocturnal house pathers ended up smacking the tubes this way and that... and they were in all kinds of weird angles by the morning. I used plastic chopsticks to gently dislodge the dongles. End result: the chassis is back to its old heat-sink-toastiness and the tubes are not off on weird angles. Sheesh. :darthsmile:

Rest in peace, RP. Thanks for introducing me to this foolish hobby. And its threads of weirdos and malcontents (kindred spirits).
During the brief time I had a Valhalla I also thought it was too warm. I did a paper chimney for it. I just folded a paper making a square shaped tube. It worked. If I've kept it I would've done something more fancy made from acrylic, like this:
http://www.deyuanco.com/wp-content/...for-packing-ligthingadvertising-purpose-1.jpg

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #51,118 of 150,724
IMG_1258.jpg Opinions please.

I am building a new stereo rack using solid cherry and copper. Which looks better, shiny copper or copper with the blue patina. Either would be finished with a clear lacquer so the patina or shine are maintained. The flanges will stay black. Those are the choices so please do not suggest iron pipe or other colors lol. Well maybe a green patina, but otherwise this is it. Most equipment will be Schiit in the silver finish, some pieces in black.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #51,119 of 150,724
Opinions please.

I am building a new stereo rack using solid cherry and copper. Which looks better, shiny copper or copper with the blue patina. Either would be finished with a clear lacquer so the patina or shine are maintained. The flanges will stay black. Those are the choices so please do not suggest iron pipe or other colors lol. Well maybe a green patina, but otherwise this is it. Most equipment will be Schiit in the silver finish, some pieces in black.
I'd rather have like shown in the picture. I don't like copper's patina.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #51,120 of 150,724
I'd rather have like shown in the picture. I don't like copper's patina.

both are shown of course, the board is sitting on patinated copper but I will count that as a vote for shiny copper. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back