Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #51,091 of 150,451
Honestly ... I wasn't expecting much SQ improvement ... if any at all. I bought the Bifrost for it's larger chassis and assumed better thermal dissipation capability.
The Modi MB is already good, but I run mine in a stereo setup 24/7 ... and I don't think it was really intended for that particular use case.

With that said ... I was honestly flabbergasted by the SQ improvement Bifrost 2 offered immediately out of the box over Modi MB. I don't want to wax poetic or hyperbolic ... but WOW!

WOW! That's as good as I can do for now. Bifrost 2 sounds like WOW!

My sentiments exactly. WOW is the word going from multibit card to Bifrost2 :D

The original Bifrost, having the same multibit tech as the multibit card/Modi multibit wasn’t that interesting so I was eyeing the Gungnir. But, being over a grand for the multibit version (and the size of the thing) made it less interesting. Enter Bifrost2. The perfect size to stack with the Lyr3, more advanced multibit tech, top upgradability, and at a very appealing price.

Regarding the USB input switching; my BF2 selects and stays on the USB after power on, nothing connected except power and the RCA interconnects. I usually turn it on in the evening and let it sit for an hour or so warming up while I do other stuff. When I later connect it to my laptop the USB is still selected and kept also if I unplug it (at least briefly, but I think I’ve had it unplugged for longer too and it still kept USB selected). It also lets me select any of the other inputs with the button also when they are not connected to anything. Works great for me.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #51,092 of 150,451
In fact, when I bought that first CD player, I lamented that many of my favorite artists would probably never be available on CD (I was into 80s New Wave, including some fairly obscure stuff). As late as 1987, I had to get vinyl for a Wall of Voodoo cut I wanted in the car, then record that off a friend’s record player.

A two year late reply to your post from 2017... But I couldn't help myself but offer the cliché response for someone who likes car audio and 80s New Wave music...

And...

Enjoy a blast from the past. :D

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #51,093 of 150,451
BTW @Jason Stoddard , a suggestion from another bit of PYST: How about selling a PYST USB-C - to - USB-B 2.0?

USB-C are taking over the world (even though Apple still doesn't put them in the iPhone 11) and I dislike having these USB-C to USB-A dongles for everything. A cable that went from USB-C to USB-B was hard to find among all the USB-C to something else cables and I nearly bought a USB-C to USB-B 3.0 cable before I realised that this extra extension it had would make it not fit my Schiit DAC card... so would be a total waste of money.

If it would have been available on the Schiit site I'd have bought it along with the AMP/DAC.

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #51,094 of 150,451
It is aimed towards gamers primarily being able to do headphones and mic (though arguably, you could probably use this in a call center or other phone based applications... maybe... depending on your set up... I am really guessing with that bit)

Self-Karaoke.

:slight_smile:

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #51,096 of 150,451
Finnegan was eyeing the remote next, he was running out of toys.:smile_phones:
I had to remove the ridiculous socket-savers off my Valhalla 2 (in my vain attempt to promote passive convective cooling). Our nocturnal house pathers ended up smacking the tubes this way and that... and they were in all kinds of weird angles by the morning. I used plastic chopsticks to gently dislodge the dongles. End result: the chassis is back to its old heat-sink-toastiness and the tubes are not off on weird angles. Sheesh. :darthsmile:
Removed-the-kludge.jpg
Rest in peace, RP. Thanks for introducing me to this foolish hobby. And its threads of weirdos and malcontents (kindred spirits).

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #51,097 of 150,451
I told you my secrets, it is up to you to do the work now. I can explain it to you but I cannot comprehend it for you!!:ksc75smile:

This is like teaching someone to play golf by telling them how. :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm also allergic to work...

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #51,098 of 150,451
Using Asgard 2 and Bifrost MultiBit (1st gen) with Akg K702. Looking for HeadPhone (HP) upgrade recommendations with better imaging (less in-your-head effect). Are mr speakers Aeon Flow Open (13 ohms), or Ether Flow 1.1 (23 ohms) good options? looking for lighter HP's, ~300g weight range OK-- 500g is too heavy and as someone on another head-fi thread said "would be like wearing a birdhouse"
Open or closed back. If sound isolation isn't an issue, I've never regretted my Senheisser HD650 clones (from then-Massdrop). I have a Charlie Brown mellon head and (once the clamp subsided) the cans can remain on my head for hours. I also appreciate the oval housings as they hug my jawline and beard. If sound isolation IS an issue, consider the Sony MDR7505 (if you like to fold them up) or MDR7510 (I broke, cracked, and gave up on hinged cans [and bought this tank]).

Hoping to wear a birdhouse, 2 tomato cans, or two halves-of-a-coconut this year,
ScubaMan.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #51,099 of 150,451
Sep 21, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #51,100 of 150,451
Canadian $ vs US $. Typically takes more CAD $ to get the same value.

BUT even with Canadian goods we pay a higher total value. Economists say it is because of the smaller market and that supply and demand thing. They can control the supply so the demand (and price) stays high. The reason cross border shopping is mostly one way.
Don't EVEN get me started. It's interesting that when I was in my early 20s, I was convinced NAFTA was going to wreck my local manufacturing industries. 30 or so years later... perhaps it did. It's a (good/bad/quantum) consequence of global trade, eh. :flag_ca:

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #51,101 of 150,451
This is like teaching someone to play golf by telling them how. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would make you a video except it would mostly be of a cat trying to help me. My daughter disappears and I am stuck with this beast. I believe he likes the taste of Wiha tools over Lindstrom, but I have not recorded all of the results yet.

I am listening to some 1953 Fotons in a Vali 2 (6sn7 equivalent), I forget who told me about them but it seems like the guy was a fairly stable genius, in his own mind.

My test track in this case is Nighttime in the Switching Yard by Warren Zevon, remastered.

IMG_1236.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #51,103 of 150,451
Second hand CD buying is big fun these days.
Top CD's in mint (often never to very little used) quality for € 2,00 - € 5,00 + € 1,00 per CD for shipping. I guess most CD's were only played once to rip and never touched again.
Because it is digital the risk is very low In contrast to vinyl buying.

Some recent buys:
The term "Gut" or "Sehr gut" only refers to the state of booklet and box. CD's are always without a scratch. Otherwise it goes as Bware (poor quality) and sells for € 0,50
]

I usually go to The Salvation Army and other places like that for CD's. Up until a month or 2 ago they had CD's for 5 for a dollar, I would generally hit up 1 or 2 different ones a
weekend and pick up 75 - 100, then sit and watch a game or something and rip them all.

Then they decided to raise their prices to 2 for a dollar, which is still a good deal, except now the turn over rate has pretty much gone to nothing so they are pretty much sitting
on the same inventory every time I go in so I might pick up 5 or 10 now that were new from the last time I was in...

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #51,105 of 150,451

My life begins to make sense....but with added ADHD to throw that extra bit of start a thing....*sees squirrel* "oh, squirrel!" Wait, what was I doing again?!?!?....ah well, back to the internet's to find something interesting...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back