Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #51,061 of 151,061
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #51,064 of 151,061
Initial Bifrost 2 impressions ...

Out of the box this thing sounds noticeably better than the Modi MB. Not a small difference either.

I've run it for about 3 hours so far, and it just sounds better and better.

Until the sound cut out and all three input lights started flashing.

I powered down the unit, waited a little bit, powered it back on and functionality has returned.

Thank goodness Schiit support has been fantastic in replacing my Modi 3 times, so I trust this will be handled with aplomb ... but I was hoping not to go through this again with Bifrost.

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #51,065 of 151,061

Out of the box this thing sounds noticeably better than the Modi MB. Not a small difference either.

I powered down the unit, waited a little bit, powered it back on and functionality has returned.

Thank goodness Schiit support has been fantastic in replacing my Modi 3 times, so I trust this will be handled with aplomb ... but I was hoping not to go through this again with Bifrost.

Argh, I've seen a couple of these. We're looking into why this might happen, even after a day's worth of burn-in and instrument and sound checking here. In the meantime, please contact orders@schiit.com for a rapid return/replace. This shouldn't happen on a new unit.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #51,066 of 151,061

And...Dave just found it. We have a bad batch of surface mount capacitors (ironically, the same 1206-sized part that we have used for years in other products). When they fail (shorted), they can cause one of the internal cards not to be detected. If you have the "three flashes" problem, contact us so we can swap out your Bifrost. Apologies for the trouble.

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #51,067 of 151,061
Speaking of the Bifrost 2, I have a question about how the input selection works. I only have USB hooked up to mine. No other inputs are connected. About half the time I plug my computer (laptop that goes to work with me every day) into the Bifrost's USB (it never gets turned off), the USB input remains selected. The other half of the time, the Bifrost has auto selected a different input while I was at work, requiring me to manually change it back to USB - THE ONLY INPUT PLUGGED IN! Is this a bug? Can I stop it from trying to select another input that isn't plugged in? This is a small issue (it only takes a second to fix) but is remarkably annoying and seems like it shouldn't happen. If one input is plugged in, the device shouldn't be changing the input to another inactive input on its own.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #51,068 of 151,061
Argh, I've seen a couple of these. We're looking into why this might happen, even after a day's worth of burn-in and instrument and sound checking here. In the meantime, please contact orders@schiit.com for a rapid return/replace. This shouldn't happen on a new unit.

And...Dave just found it. We have a bad batch of surface mount capacitors (ironically, the same 1206-sized part that we have used for years in other products). When they fail (shorted), they can cause one of the internal cards not to be detected. If you have the "three flashes" problem, contact us so we can swap out your Bifrost. Apologies for the trouble.

Thank you sir; greatly appreciated. I'm hosting a whiskey tasting tomorrow, and everyone was coming over to sip and listen. This happened same time last year (also a whiskey tasting I hosted) with the Modi MB. While it's not a good look to have a product fail in front of a group ... the efforts you take to communicate and support your customers are beyond reproach. We're an understanding bunch. Especially after a few drams!

whiskey.jpg

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #51,070 of 151,061
Speaking of the Bifrost 2, I have a question about how the input selection works. I only have USB hooked up to mine. No other inputs are connected. About half the time I plug my computer (laptop that goes to work with me every day) into the Bifrost's USB (it never gets turned off), the USB input remains selected. The other half of the time, the Bifrost has auto selected a different input while I was at work, requiring me to manually change it back to USB - THE ONLY INPUT PLUGGED IN! Is this a bug? Can I stop it from trying to select another input that isn't plugged in? This is a small issue (it only takes a second to fix) but is remarkably annoying and seems like it shouldn't happen. If one input is plugged in, the device shouldn't be changing the input to another inactive input on its own.

If your power is intermittent, or if your computer is going to sleep, that may cause it, but it does sound weird. Again, if you have any problems or doubts, contact us so we can swap it out. This is a brand new product, you shouldn't have to deal with any issues at all.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #51,071 of 151,061

Have you turned off power management features on your USB root hubs?

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #51,072 of 151,061

Thanks for this... I've been hesitant about the Schiit Multibit DACs as I read everywhere that you need to keep them on all the time for best sound quality, and I just don't like that idea.

But if out of the box it already sounds great, in your opinion, that reduces my hesitation to ultimately treat myself to a Bifrost. :D

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #51,073 of 151,061
If your power is intermittent, or if your computer is going to sleep, that may cause it, but it does sound weird. Again, if you have any problems or doubts, contact us so we can swap it out. This is a brand new product, you shouldn't have to deal with any issues at all.

Maybe I didn't present my problem clearly. I have a MacBook Pro as my only computer, connected to a USB hub with a Bifrost 2 on my desk at home. Every morning I unplug the laptop and go to work. When I get home, the Bifrost has often switched inputs to optical or coax (which are not plugged in). Why does the Bifrost have the ability to change inputs on its own? I've set it for the input I want (and only have that one plugged in) so it should never change away from that selected input.

Edit: and I'm sure that I'm not losing mains power at all.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #51,074 of 151,061
Maybe I didn't present my problem clearly. I have a MacBook Pro as my only computer, connected to a USB hub with a Bifrost 2 on my desk at home. Every morning I unplug the laptop and go to work. When I get home, the Bifrost has often switched inputs to optical or coax (which are not plugged in). Why does the Bifrost have the ability to change inputs on its own? I've set it for the input I want (and only have that one plugged in) so it should never change away from that selected input.

If you have AC power glitches, it could cause the Bifrost to reset. Not sure. Again, if there's any doubt, contact orders@schiit.com and have it swapped out.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #51,075 of 151,061
Thanks for this... I've been hesitant about the Schiit Multibit DACs as I read everywhere that you need to keep them on all the time for best sound quality, and I just don't like that idea.

But if out of the box it already sounds great, in your opinion, that reduces my hesitation to ultimately treat myself to a Bifrost. :D

Honestly ... I wasn't expecting much SQ improvement ... if any at all. I bought the Bifrost for it's larger chassis and assumed better thermal dissipation capability.
The Modi MB is already good, but I run mine in a stereo setup 24/7 ... and I don't think it was really intended for that particular use case.

With that said ... I was honestly flabbergasted by the SQ improvement Bifrost 2 offered immediately out of the box over Modi MB. I don't want to wax poetic or hyperbolic ... but WOW!

WOW! That's as good as I can do for now. Bifrost 2 sounds like WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back