Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #51,046 of 149,167
I’ve been concentrating on acquiring CD’s but yous-all convinced me to sign up with Qobuz. Any suggestions on a streaming device with USB out than can be controlled with an iOS app? I currently have a Mac Mini for playing ALAC filed through iTunes.

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #51,047 of 149,167
A big fish will buy small fishes Qobuz/Tidal once lossless is commodity.
None of the large services are interested in buying Qobuz or Tidal. They would only be interested for the purpose of picking up subscribers, but Qobuz and Tidal don't have many (less than 1% of the market for the two combined). And integrating Qobuz/Tidal into their existing system would be a nightmare. Easier and cheaper to implement their own lossless streaming.

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #51,049 of 149,167
Any further information about the Hel besides what was at RMAF?

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #51,050 of 149,167
I do wish one of the major services would implement label searching the way Qobuz does. It was very nice being able to search all chesky records available on Qobuz, or all RCA living stereo recordings.
As far as I know that feature is limited to Qobuz. I really miss it.
Sadly that doesn't work in Roon with Qobuz integration.Click on a label link in Roon and the result = nothing!

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #51,052 of 149,167
I’ve been concentrating on acquiring CD’s but yous-all convinced me to sign up with Qobuz. Any suggestions on a streaming device with USB out than can be controlled with an iOS app? I currently have a Mac Mini for playing ALAC filed through iTunes.

To keep it simple, IMO you can't go far wrong with using your existing macMini with Audirvana, which has Qobuz or Tidal streaming built-in. Sure you can go down the Roon route, but that is just a bit more involved. Definitely drop iTunes. Then you can fine-tune the chain as you see fit over time.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #51,053 of 149,167
Speaking of, what is known of the Hel to this date? All I know is that it's supposed to have a red and black color scheme, but I don't even know which link in the audio chain it's supposed to be (DAC? Amp? Both? Pre-amp?).

Jason has answered this:

Yep, it has an ADC. It's a few steps below the Jil, and a few steps above the typical ADC you'd find used for an electret mic input.

AK5720 is the ADC we used. On Fulla 3, it's fronted by a Maxim AGC (auto gain control), because we really didn't have space for mic volume. Which means it's mono input. On Hel, it's fronted by a proper OPA1662-based stage with trim. So that one can be run stereo (or mono mics give you mono). Same ADC for both. Both use the Gen 2.8734523 C-Media USB interface.

Fulla 3 stays at $99, Hel is $189.

It is aimed towards gamers primarily being able to do headphones and mic (though arguably, you could probably use this in a call center or other phone based applications... maybe... depending on your set up... I am really guessing with that bit)

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #51,054 of 149,167
Second hand CD buying is big fun these days.
Top CD's in mint (often never to very little used) quality for € 2,00 - € 5,00 + € 1,00 per CD for shipping. I guess most CD's were only played once to rip and never touched again.
Because it is digital the risk is very low In contrast to vinyl buying.

Some recent buys:
The term "Gut" or "Sehr gut" only refers to the state of booklet and box. CD's are always without a scratch. Otherwise it goes as Bware (poor quality) and sells for € 0,50

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #51,055 of 149,167
None of the large services are interested in buying Qobuz or Tidal. They would only be interested for the purpose of picking up subscribers, but Qobuz and Tidal don't have many (less than 1% of the market for the two combined). And integrating Qobuz/Tidal into their existing system would be a nightmare. Easier and cheaper to implement their own lossless streaming.[/QUOTE
no integration just buying accounts/content/contracts, best gui will win imho

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #51,056 of 149,167
Top CD's in mint (often never to very little used) quality for € 2,00 - € 5,00 + € 1,00 per CD for shipping. I guess most CD's were only played once to rip and never touched again.

Some recent buys:
The term "Gut" or "Sehr gut" only refers to the state of booklet and box. CD's are always without a scratch. Otherwise it goes as Bware (poor quality) and sells for € 0,50

Where do you buy used CDs? I've thought to start with it for a future CD transport.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #51,057 of 149,167

Some recent buys:

that is a good idea!!

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #51,059 of 149,167
As a punk 17 year old, I dumped (sold) all my NES, SNES, GENESIS carts-- so, so dumb -- But kept (later on) all CDs/booklets (in a few shoe boxes, jewel cases tossed) (ripped to flac in the aughts and never looked back)

^ ie wish that has reversed -- just can't get myself to wanna buy CD's new or old :frowning2: am I totally wrong?

Setting up/prepping vinyl, blowing out a NES cart and the satisfying way in inserted, playing those games on immediate (no emulation/usb controller lag) real hardware is a thing, CD's nah.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back