Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #50,641 of 150,652
A bunch more questions:

1. Where is a link to Jason's last chapter? He should keep an index of these in the OP. Always have to hunt for them.

2. Does Unison on the Bimby2 require Win10 as we've been hearing for months?

3. Why the crickets on Gumby??? I mean you'd be foolish to buy one as it's an orphan product at this point from one perspective and too much improvement of Gumby could potentially canabolize Yiggy2 sales.

1. Really? Did you even look in the OP? There is a hyperlinked list of ever chapter he's ever written, organized chronologically.

2. Yes, as the product description and FAQ on Schiit's web site clearly explain.

So what platforms does your Unison USB input support?
Actually, the question should be “What platforms support your Unison USB input?” since our Unison USB input is 100% UAC2 compliant (that is, USB Audio Class 2, the accepted standard for USB audio transmission.) So, here you go:
  • Linux. As in, most popular streamers, from the Sonore MicroRendu to the Salk Streamer. Note “most.” Also most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux.
  • Windows 10. Yes, Windows 10 only. We don’t provide UAC2 drivers for earlier versions of Windows, sorry. Yes, it is time to step into the present (not the future, Windows 10 has been out for a couple of years now.) Yes, it is time to upgrade. Yes, it’s worth it. Windows 10 is actually a very nice platform.
  • Mac OSX. From 10.10 on up, Macs are good to go. Sometimes you’ll run into power management problems that will require you to turn off App Nap. Got an older version of MacOS? See the comments on Windows above. Time to upgrade. The software is free.
  • iOS. From iOS7 on up, iOS devices work with USB Camera Connection Kit, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or directly with the new USB-C models.
  • Android. Most Android devices that shipped with Android M or above will work using a USB OTG cable. Some may require separate player software, like USB Audio Player Pro.

3. I can't comment on this.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #50,642 of 150,652
A bunch more questions:

1. Where is a link to Jason's last chapter? He should keep an index of these in the OP. Always have to hunt for them.

2. Does Unison on the Bimby2 require Win10 as we've been hearing for months?

3. Why the crickets on Gumby??? I mean you'd be foolish to buy one as it's an orphan product at this point from one perspective and too much improvement of Gumby could potentially canabolize Yiggy2 sales.

For your first point... he does? I just looked at the original post and at the very bottom of it is:

For point 2, someone else with one could answer but I would guess that they are not supporting prior versions of Windows. It does work with modern Mac and Linux as well though.

For point 3... I am not sure where you see it as an orphan product... And it is getting Unison early next year (or whenever it happens), so there are still upgrades coming to it. And there is no Yggrdasil 2 yet from my understanding. The Gungnir, to me, fills a step between the Bifrost and Yggdrasil and could have its place in the market still.

Edit: callumrd1 beat me to it.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #50,647 of 150,652
For your first point... he does? I just looked at the original post and at the very bottom of it is:

For point 2, someone else with one could answer but I would guess that they are not supporting prior versions of Windows. It does work with modern Mac and Linux as well though.

For point 3... I am not sure where you see it as an orphan product... And it is getting Unison early next year (or whenever it happens), so there are still upgrades coming to it. And there is no Yggrdasil 2 yet from my understanding. The Gungnir, to me, fills a step between the Bifrost and Yggdrasil and could have its place in the market still.

Edit: callumrd1 beat me to it.

Thanks. Need to learn how to scroll (and read).

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #50,650 of 150,652
So where are the Bifrost2 vs. Gumby vs. Yiggy listening impressions, even from @Jason Stoddard himself?
There is none, and there probably never will be one. At least it will not by Schiit itself
Listening impressions? On what system? In what room? On what headphone? Everybody's ears and brains react different to different sounds.
What are you asking? That A is better than B or C. The cheap is best? Expensive is best?
There is lots and lots of information on the web about Yggdrasil, Gungnir and not (yet) so much about Bifrost-2 because it is so new.
Maybe try Google and make an effort?

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #50,651 of 150,652
So where are the Bifrost2 vs. Gumby vs. Yiggy listening impressions, even from @Jason Stoddard himself?

If I were to guess, I would say that the Yggdrasil performs the best out of the three, followed by Gungnir, followed by Bifrost 2. That being said, there is a degree of subjectivity when it comes to what you hear so what you hear and like might be different from others (if you care about measurements, those are on the Schiit website for each product; I have not looked at them but I do not care as much... also, I am not likely to upgrade from the Modi Multibit any time soon since I have other things to upgrade first). I would also argue that the Bifrost 2 is still relatively new so there is not much there, and you are asking for a comparison of $4347 worth of equipment; not many people are going to be able to a/b test all of that.

It is possible that someone might go to the Schiitr to see how they all sound and report back, but I would not expect someone to do that.

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #50,652 of 150,652
Zinio finally sent out the recent Stereophile to my iPad. Herb Reichert heaped quite a bit of praise on Aegir. Congrats to Jason and the Schiit team, it seems you've knocked it out of the park!

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #50,653 of 150,652
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #50,654 of 150,652
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #50,655 of 150,652
Your cable was one of the first to receive that mesh and I have only made a few as gifts for people I know so there are still a few bugs to be worked out to keep the mesh in place. It is easy to apply a little too much heat when using adhesive heat shrink tubing inside the connector.
The cable is fine and the mesh holding 100%.
What I meant is that you can only show off the cable by pointing it out on your stack's behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back