Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #50,611 of 150,786
Are there any plans on doing an 'advanced' setup procedure video?
Specifically how to dial in the cartridge's position and placement in 3d space…

Just wondering is all, because a level arm, while a good place to start, can be tweaked with obvious sonic results.

JJ

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #50,613 of 150,786
Silver may take a whole week of cooking, but I'll give it the standard 3 days to start and not offer my opinion. :relaxed:

I would suggest searing them first then finishing them off in the oven, but recently I read where restaurants use the opposite approach. Oven first then sear them. We are talking steaks and cables right? The same thing only different. :ksc75smile:

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #50,614 of 150,786
RMAF Schiit love at 31:00 in.
Maybe, just maybe the guy that made this video should invest a little of his money in video stabilizing gear.
I got totally sea sick looking at it and had to stop the video several times not to throw up.
That said, I also love the Dieckmann arm at 12:00. Never would spend that amount of money on any audio gear, but the design looks very cool and technically very sophisticated.
Decca London maroon in the Sol arm, that would be my choice too. Same price for the cartridge as for the whole record player + arm.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #50,615 of 150,786
Yeah Decca carts are a breed apart that's for sure.
Setting them up and dialing them in can be more of a challenge than cantilever carts, not for the n00B needle dropper that's for sure.

And I remember how the listed tracking weight was an eyebrow raiser for sure, well, that is, until I heard what they can deliver…

Just don't EVER let one drop, the consequences what with grown men crying real tears, amidst sounds of whimpering and shrieks and sounds like those of little girls crying, can leave long term mentally scaring…

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #50,616 of 150,786
RMAF Schiit love at 31:00 in
LOL They are even playing a reference song to the Yggdrasil, "Nashville obsolete" by David Rawlings.
Must be one of Mike's @Baldr choices. hahahaha :grimacing::grin::grinning::laughing:

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #50,618 of 150,786
The method is called "sous vide".

I believe that is long time low temp cooking but it may achieve similar results.

What I was joking about was reverse-searing. You put a steak in the oven till it reaches the desired temperature and then sear it instead of the other way around.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/10/reverse-seared-steak-recipe.html

@bcowen has one of the cable cookers and even offered to let me try it sometime. I guess I should pay attention to such things but never really have, maybe one day someone will convince me it actually works but only after I set up a blind test to have them prove it. :smile_phones:

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #50,619 of 150,786
I use sous vide at home. Does a fantastic job with many foods. I don't normally cook my steaks this way, but it is possible to do a reverse sear using sous vide.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #50,620 of 150,786
I use sous vide at home. Does a fantastic job with many foods. I don't normally cook my steaks this way, but it is possible to do a reverse sear using sous vide.

I do believe it translates as under vacuum. It has been a while since I tried it. My favorite is an outdoor wood fire, it is how I cooked Saturday night, first cool day we have had for a while. I have a metal grate I can swing out over the fire pit. fire.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #50,621 of 150,786
How about a Loki+ -- a Loki in a chassis the width of an Asgard / Bifrost, and a few more knobs to tune?

(I'd also love an all-in-one fully integrated AMP / DAC with Loki functionality. But that kind of goes against the philosophy of composing a stack from components, building it up one by one, picking and choosing for each component that which best fits your needs).

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #50,623 of 150,786
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #50,624 of 150,786
Edited...just for clarity. LOL!

One of these days (insert the blind pig and acorn analogy) I am sure you will say something that I will find absolutely amazing and I plan to mark that day on my calendar.

Seriously though your knowledge of Cary equipment, Foton, and 7N7 tubes is beyond reproach. I would mention 300B's but I do not want to get you started on those.

After seeing your record scrubbing set up and associated maintenance equipment, some of my past setups looked pretty pitiful. I often just brush the cat hair away,( sometimes it is still attached), flop the record on the turn table- making sure I get finger prints all over it, and hope for the best. The pops and crackles remind me of breakfast cereal.

I picture you wearing a surgical mask in a clean room to go along with your white cotton gloves.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #50,625 of 150,786
Who knew I had a Sol buried in there...
upload_2019-9-10_8-30-57.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back