Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #50,581 of 149,160
snip
…My point was that…
"Just don't expect headphone mania to be the proverbial chick magnet."
For that you need scars, chicks dig scars, at least that is what motorcyclists like to tell themselves… hahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #50,582 of 149,160
You lucky Darthpool you. I've heard rumors the SR1A Rock the Planet and blow Stax away :)
I am lucky to have a wonderful wife who lets me do what I want with my own cash as long as I’m putting money in savings and don’t have any debt lol...opens the door to stupid purchases I don’t really need though...speaking of I need to list my Focal Clears and some other headphones soon =)

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #50,583 of 149,160
An item is worth what people are willing to pay....

That says it all in 10 words.

Not that I ever have an opinion on anything...:relaxed:

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #50,584 of 149,160
That says it all in 10 words.

Not that I ever have an opinion on anything...:relaxed:
I pay careful attention to you opinion of GE tubes.:)

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #50,585 of 149,160
The Sol did seem a bit high maintenance from that video.

I have a 'table and I sometimes wonder if this-or-that setting is "optimal" for my records. With something like the Sol I'd never play any discs I'd be so busy checking and re-checking the VTA or antiskate or ....

And I also think that the actual table the Sol is on would make a big difference. Something like a 200lb marble-topped table (with adjustable feet!) is also necessary.

HST, anyone know where I can get an LP with frequency sweeps on it?

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #50,586 of 149,160
I believe the word "reasonable" is the culprit.

Soon I will built a couple more purple cables as gifts, using the same fabric as yours Pietro, it seems to get attention. By the way I really liked the Rosso di Montalcino. I have purchased a few more bottles of the 2016.

Is it the purple or the metal sleeving? That sleeving had a great effect on the other colors as well, based on your pictures.

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #50,587 of 149,160
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #50,588 of 149,160
The Sol did seem a bit high maintenance from that video.

I have a 'table and I sometimes wonder if this-or-that setting is "optimal" for my records. With something like the Sol I'd never play any discs I'd be so busy checking and re-checking the VTA or antiskate or ....

And I also think that the actual table the Sol is on would make a big difference. Something like a 200lb marble-topped table (with adjustable feet!) is also necessary.

HST, anyone know where I can get an LP with frequency sweeps on it?
That is too easy, should be a square whole in your floor for a huge concrete pillar with separate foundation. On top of that you can look for a marble table!
Not a joke once i read some body paid a reasonable amount of money for that :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #50,589 of 149,160
I wish Schiit would make a cassette deck....
I suspect they would more likely build speakers before taking on tape drives... and if you've read Jason's thoughts on speakers... well... One word for you. Tascam.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #50,592 of 149,160
Jason:

Just a heads up.

The Sol FAQ includes:

And why do I need patience?
Because you have to set up Sol for your specific cartridge. We do a basic setup at the factory, but you’ll still need to align the cartridge, set the VTA, and set the tracking force. You may need to do a few more tweaks to get it 110% perfect, too. But we cover how to do all of that on the videos at schiit-com/sol-videos

Schiit-com/sol-videos is not a well formed URL, it should be schiit.com/sol-videos.

Also, it is not live linked, and copy-pasting doesn't work of course.

And finally, and possibly of most concern, once you overcome those, there not actually anything there - it's a 404...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #50,593 of 149,160
Is it the purple or the metal sleeving? That sleeving had a great effect on the other colors as well, based on your pictures.
The purple mesh is cotton, the cable itself is dual shielded with an internal metal braiding.

I hope I answered what you asked.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #50,594 of 149,160
Can someone tell me what "The Gadget" is???

2018 Oct 13
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2674#post-14537131
Gadget processor
- pitch
- expander (decompression)
- music processor

////////////

Couldn't even figure out what forum to post this in as I'm not sure what the heck it even is. Just thought it sounded a bit ridiculous:
LINK and the video is here on Facebook: LINK

A New Class of Audio Control: Dynamic Re-Tuning of Concert Pitch
October 6, 2017, Denver, CO. Today at RMAF, Schiit Audio previewed The Gadget, the first of a new class of "Music Signal Processors," intended to enhance the experience of recorded music.
The Gadget dynamically re-tunes music to C=256Hz without altering tempo, and allows the user to change the re-tuning frequency and A/B the result. The result, many listeners report, is greater satisfaction with their recorded music.
"The Gadget has been described as a 'digital joint,' an 'aaaahhh box,' and a 'music immersion processor,'" said Mike Moffat, Schiit's Co-Founder and head of digital development. "Many listeners want to listen longer, and enjoy listening more, with The Gadget."
The Gadget is the first product of a years-long research project into tuning and subjective effects, Schiit's "Manhattan Project." This research began when Mike Moffat began wondering why some older instruments—specifically banjos and mandolins—sounded better than their newer counterparts.
This led to the discovery of “tap tuning,” and the increase in tuning frequency over time. After primitive pitch- and tempo-shifting versions were first developed in Summer 2015, Mike brought on a full-time Ph.D to develop new, proprietary, high-quality and efficient algorithms for pure pitch-shifting.
"This is not about mumbo-jumbo, mysticism, or conspiracy theories," said Mike Moffat. "The Gadget uses a 100% proprietary algorithm implemented on an Analog Devices SHARC processor, and it's unlike anything that's ever been offered before."
Unlike some recent attempts to improve recorded music, The Gadget is 100% single-sided and does not require any encoding or decoding. It does not incorporate DRM of any form, including phone-homes, selective degradation, or device serialization and deauthorization. It does not require licensing fees from recording studios, artists, or end-users.
The Gadget being previewed at RMAF is a single-purpose, digital-in and digital-out device. Commercially available versions with multiple inputs are expected to be available in Q1 2018 at a cost of about $200.
Sooooo it's a magic box that "re-tunes" music via pitch shifting? And somehow it makes the music sound like "ahhhh". Amazing.
What do you guys think of this Schiit?

///////////////////
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gadget-a-magic-box.863285/#post-13802047
"It is based on an assumption that A = 432 Hz (and C = 256 Hz with Pythagorean Temperament) sounds more natural than the standard A = 440 Hz pitch used by most orchestras (some US and European orchestras tune A up to 444 Hz), but there is really no evidence for that.
A gadget that allows to change pitch is interesting but some performers already tune for different pitches (e.g. baroque and early music performers tune for A = 415 Hz) and it is almost impossible to know what was the concert pitch at the time and in the town the music was composed. Just something to play with."
///////////////

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-613#post-14529807
On the A= 432 vs 440 thing, all you have to do is listen.
Night and day to me, but from what Mike and Jason say only 60 to 70% can hear the difference, thus the definition of tone deaf?
I doubt many here can not tell the difference being in this hobby.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #50,595 of 149,160
And I agree. I have no interest in vinyl, and the related paraphernalia, at this point in my personal system. That being said, it appears that SOL is a turntable with features found only on more expensive models. I leaf through magazines and see the turntables and cartridges in the market place.

For me, an affordable alternative would be a good used TT, with a good cartridge. If I owned more than one LP, it would intrigue me and it would be a Reasonable investment. In the Schiit ecosystem, there are a couple of products which sell for a price much smaller than what one would reasonably pay...Vali 2, Modi MB being two glowing examples. I cannot claim this as an original idea, but I tell people my DAC is worth $500, but Schiit always has it on 50% off sale.

I have a friend who loves Star Wars (tell me, is $800 for a Lego Millenium Falcon a reasonable price?) and I came across an L.P. of the John Williams soundtrack at a yard sale. But he had no turntable, so I bought one at the same yard sale. Took it home, made sure everything worked, wrapped it and gave it to him as a gift.

I doubt it he ever used or played it, and I doubt he ever will, but I thought it made a fun gift.

Total outlay? $25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back