Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #50,672 of 145,706
Zinio finally sent out the recent Stereophile to my iPad. Herb Reichert heaped quite a bit of praise on Aegir. Congrats to Jason and the Schiit team, it seems you've knocked it out of the park!

Sorry for quoting myself in a reply...I killed some time this afternoon while getting new tires installed and put together a spreadsheet containing all of the Stereophile recommended Class A (solid state) amps and their prices. Aegir is in some pretty rarefied company.

2.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.31.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.31.43 PM.png
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #50,673 of 145,706
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #50,674 of 145,706
Sorry for quoting myself in a reply...I killed some time this afternoon while getting new tires installed and put together a spreadsheet containing all of the Stereophile recommended Class A (solid state) amps and their prices. Aegir is in some pretty rarefied company.

That list could be turned into a great ad by someone with a sense of humor and a keen eye for a turn of a phrase.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #50,675 of 145,706
Guys,
I have the following tube:
6N8S (6H8C) OTK Melz IV - 1953

Is this the same as what you are discussing?
Not really tried it. Only have one, so it has to be in the Vali 2.
Comments and suggestions?
Source for more if I like it :wink:

It needs to match the photo Audionics posted.
10350826_thumb.jpg

Holes in the plates, top metal wings, not mica, and the area that sticks out on the bottom mica. Melz made plenty of other tubes but these are the type you want.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #50,676 of 145,706
James Taylor's Hourglass CD, Song is Gaia......absolutley blow your mind good...

Open, deep, reverberations, low bass rollers....OMG good...

I think I need to send Schitt some money!!

If Mike Moffat was here I would HUG the old fart!!!

:>)

Alex

curious how this compares with using the spdif coax input from your CD player to Bifrost...

if you have any extra money you can send it to me :))

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #50,677 of 145,706

Thanks for putting this together! This is quite a striking illustration of how out of control the high-end audio prices have become.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #50,678 of 145,706
In the Vahalla 2 stock tubes, however I did replace the fron tubes with some EH 6922's...

The Bottlehead Crack has had many differing tubes in it, the favorite is an old RCA 6AS7G and a RCA Clear top 12AU7A...

These were good as I have ever hear, but with Unison is up another level here..oh my the sound is sooooo good. Listening to Keb'mo's Angelina..the kick drum is like "so in there!!"..

Isnt it all about the music!!?? !!

Alex

It is all about the music and your choice of power tubes in the crack matches my own. I did not roll tubes nearly so much in the Valhalla myself.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #50,679 of 145,706
There will be Sol buyers who didn't know what they were getting into. I'd wager that some proportion of those units won't be returned, but will sit unassembled for months and then go into storage.
Schiit needs to set up a system like their upgrade system to find orphan Sols new homes.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #50,680 of 145,706
Okay, everyone, thanks to Paladin79, we're set up for a first-ever double-blind tube listening fest at the Schiitr this Thursday from 6-10 PM.

Yep, this Schiitrmeet is gonna be nuts. As in, nobody knows what tubes we're listening to. Not even us. Paladin79 provided completely sealed tubes so nobody can see what they are, cables and switching to simplify the testing, and the results in a sealed envelope that will remain sealed until all the listening is done.

Will the cheap tube win?*
Will new production be best?*
Will megadollars crush all?*

*Actually no clue how cheap, expensive, new or old these tubes are. But we'll find out!

So, join us at the Schiitr for:

SchiitrMeet: Double Blind Tube Thunderdome!

22808 Market Street, Newhall, CA 91321
Thursday, September 12
6-10PM
awesome test!

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #50,681 of 145,706
Your cable was one of the first to receive that mesh and I have only made a few as gifts for people I know so there are still a few bugs to be worked out to keep the mesh in place. It is easy to apply a little too much heat when using adhesive heat shrink tubing inside the connector.
One thing Windows computers did right was to use color coded connectors on the back. Color coded wiring would be even better.
My Mac Mini has 5 black wires, 3 white wires and one green wire connected to it.
My audio system is all black except for some Mapleshade copper speaker cables.

Sometimes I think I'd have to go to another planet and have an advanced alien technology teach me the skills to understand how to connect it all. (Where's my meds?)

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #50,682 of 145,706
I have compared the Yggdrasil to the Gungnir MB in the same system and can report that they sound very similar with Yggdrasil being more detailed and providing a greater apparent dynamic range. Both units sounded better to me than my Ayre QB-9 or my Wavelength Crimson. These are the DACs they replaced.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #50,683 of 145,706
How about a Loki+ -- a Loki in a chassis the width of an Asgard / Bifrost, and a few more knobs to tune?

(I'd also love an all-in-one fully integrated AMP / DAC with Loki functionality. But that kind of goes against the philosophy of composing a stack from components, building it up one by one, picking and choosing for each component that which best fits your needs).

My next wish, now that Bifrost 2 (Gumby, Jr) is a reality ...

Super Loki -- Loki in a BF2 sized chassis with at least the same controls as Loki mini (maybe add 1 more), but also integrate a SYS A/B switch and a 64 step volume with remote!! :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #50,684 of 145,706
One of these days (insert the blind pig and acorn analogy) I am sure you will say something that I will find absolutely amazing and I plan to mark that day on my calendar.

Seriously though your knowledge of Cary equipment, Foton, and 7N7 tubes is beyond reproach. I would mention 300B's but I do not want to get you started on those.

After seeing your record scrubbing set up and associated maintenance equipment, some of my past setups looked pretty pitiful. I often just brush the cat hair away,( sometimes it is still attached), flop the record on the turn table- making sure I get finger prints all over it, and hope for the best. The pops and crackles remind me of breakfast cereal.

I picture you wearing a surgical mask in a clean room to go along with your white cotton gloves.

I'm glad you didn't mention 300B's. Jason might see it and start thinking about making one. That will have to cost more than the $700 the Bifrost 2 is going to cost me, so I appreciate you looking out for my financial well being. :grimacing:

And I never thought of the surgical mask...probably should consider that. :slight_smile: I go to some lengths with my LP's because the majority of them were purchased at yard sales, thrift shops, given by friends, etc. Most are nasty when I get them. I refuse to stick the stylus of a $2k cartridge into unknown muck, kinda like I refuse to stick nasty tube pins in my tester. Anal? OCD? Ridiculous? No doubt. I admit it. But when you get that LP with a glorious recording and a background that's just as quiet and noise free as a CD, it's all worth it. Unless of course I don't feel like messing with it and just pull up Tidal on the laptop. :slight_smile:

Checking Amazon now for surgical masks….

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #50,685 of 145,706
There's this one, but not a lot of discussion about cartridges yet.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/schiit-sol-the-next-great-turntable.876418/

We still need an effective mass spec for the Sol arm. A low mass arm with a low compliance cartridge will not make very good music. I think I read somewhere back that the Sol and the Denon DL-103R were a nice pairing. If my memory is correct, then the Sol must be at least a medium mass arm or the two would probably not work well together (the Denon's compliance is quite low).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back